Gibson Brands Forums

Kiss Cat

roxymusic

I think KISS is gonna be on Letterman tonight! Or is it tomorrow night? Cold Gin!!

With a couple imposters! Seriously, it's a tribute band now. The gin is warm now. With Ace and his band, it's aging, but at least it's still cold.

Lemme guess, the cat in the OP is going to replace Gene when he can't do it anymore? Paul Stanley says there could be a KISS without Gene and himself...I just don't see it. According to the real and only Spaceman that ever was, KISS is all smoke now (well, it was smoke then too, but the mirrors are gone). At this point, they may be bigger than ever, but they're back at the stage they were circa 1979-80 (without the internal conflict): the KISS name is on everything (back then it was lunchboxes, comics, and Viewfinders among other things. Now, it's caskets, urinal cakes, and prophylactic rubbers among other things...), they're being ridiculed for stuff they pull (back then it was merchandising, disco songs, and becoming a kiddie circus act. Now, it's dressing up two other guys as Ace and Peter, cruises, merchandising, reality TV, appearing on Dancing With The Stars...twice in a row, and an overpriced coffee table of a book..), and the substance is gone. I've said it before (and got flamed for it), but my kind of KISS is the first three studio albums plus Alive!. Destroyer was the start of the crap (although it's an awesome record once you get past "Beth"), and then the merchandising hit. They made a large percentage of their revenue off of the merchandise alone between 1976 and 1979. And they started doing kiddie songs ("Christine Sixteen" is pure teeny-bopper). Then the solo albums hit. IMHO, they should have let Ace go off on his own considering his album was the only truly great one (It's not only the best of the four, it's a killer record nonetheless). Otherwise, it caused even more tension within the band. KISS Meets The Phantom was an epic failure (although it's kinda funny in a really corny way). Then they did Dynasty and started wearing colors! The generation that originally loved them from the start had either moved on to other bands or was so turned off they stopped loving them. The average KISS fan gradually went from a typical stoner teenage rock lover to little kids! I recently saw a pic of the KISS page in a Christmas 1980 J.C. Penney catalog, and it was embarrassing (almost bordering on cringe). All I gotta say is, NO WONDER ACE LEFT!!!!

Sorry if I went a little overboard, but it's KISS....

With a couple imposters! Seriously, it's a tribute band now.

Paul Stanley says there could be a KISS without Gene and himself...

I know you love Kiss, and I hope you don't take this wrong, but I think the Kiss THEY have and the Kiss you think they are isn't the same Kiss.

Kiss have ALWAYS been imposters. That's been the whole point all along. It's about the show, about putting out something that just is too BIG or crazy to be real. Like a circus act, except in this case, it is a Rock n Roll act. Key word: ACT.

If they weren't, it wouldn't be KISS. It would be a typical, average rock band. Which, btw, they tried. And it failed...mostly because, they were average. and by average, I don't mean average as in typical like other famous bands we think of. I mean average, as in, Chevy Malibu/Ford Focus average.

I mean, seriously, what is better? Kiss as an act, or Kiss as "themselves"?

I know you love Kiss, and I hope you don't take this wrong, but I think the Kiss THEY have and the Kiss you think they are isn't the same Kiss.

Kiss have ALWAYS been imposters. That's been the whole point all along. It's about the show, about putting out something that just is too BIG or crazy to be real. Like a circus act, except in this case, it is a Rock n Roll act. Key word: ACT.

If they weren't, it wouldn't be KISS. It would be a typical, average rock band. Which, btw, they tried. And it failed...mostly because, they were average. and by average, I don't mean average as in typical like other famous bands we think of. I mean average, as in, Chevy Malibu/Ford Focus average.

I mean, seriously, what is better? Kiss as an act, or Kiss as "themselves"?

Can't argue with that. Revenge is a killer record from the later non-makeup years, as it featured two top-notch musicians: Bruce Kulick on lead guitar and Eric Singer on the drums. Those two (as well as Eric Carr, Vinnie Vincent, Mark St. John, and Bruce's older brother Bob, who almost had the original gig back in the 70s until Ace walked in and "aced" it!) were way too good for KISS (even though Eric's making an epic fool of himself dressing up as the Catman. I recommend his Badlands and Alice Cooper stuff highly). I know Bob Kulick has always been kinda KISSed off about Ace being picked over him, but that's how it is. Ace (at least back then) was closer to the other three's level of ability than Bob was. Bob would have created an imbalance. He was on a higher level of musicianship. His solos on "All American Man" and "Larger Than Life" from Alive II kicked butt. People shouldn't be so quick to judge him, Bruce, Carr, and the rest I mentioned just because they were in KISS or played on KISS records.

So, what is better? KISS as an act with ALL four original members. But the second time around didn't fare so well. I dug KISS as themselves mostly because they played so much better. And Bruce and both Erics were amazing.

I'll give another answer to your question: Ace is better solo!

Archived