Gibson Brands Forums

New Marshall DSLs

AlanH

Made a topic about these about a month back. My only concern about them is that they're made in Vietnam now as opposed to England. Vietnam is the same place the MG's are made, and where the Haze series is/was made (many believe that this DSL series will replace the Haze series). I haven't heard one in-person yet, so I can't make an opinion on the sound. From the one YouTube demo of the new ones (which is hard to follow because it's in Hungarian), they sound badass. Gotta wait for my local store to get one in.

-Ryan

Made a topic about these about a month back. My only concern about them is that they're made in Vietnam now as opposed to England. Vietnam is the same place the MG's are made, and where the Haze series is/was made (many believe that this DSL series will replace the Haze series). I haven't heard one in-person yet, so I can't make an opinion on the sound. From the one YouTube demo of the new ones (which is hard to follow because it's in Hungarian), they sound badass. Gotta wait for my local store to get one in.

-Ryan

Hello Ryan!

You were talking about this demo?

May I help You with the translation? The bottom line is: "Regardless the fact they are made in the Far East, they sound as a Marshall should", "Crystal clean sound even at high volume levels", "When swtiching from clean channel to crunch, the volume difference is too big", "The ultra gain setting provides very nice vintage-like overdriven sound", "At extreme gain levels it becomes muddy", "The price will be almost half of the previous DSL series". The rest is just the listing of the specs.

Cheers... Bence

Hello! Actually they are not even cheap (at least not that cheap that I'd buy such a thing). Just checked with my local shop. [mellow] Not for me anyways. Cheers... Bence

At $599 for the 15 watt combo where I am ($499 for the head), I would say they qualify as "cheap", or "inexpensive".

At $599 for the 15 watt combo where I am ($499 for the head), I would say they qualify as "cheap", or "inexpensive".

Well, that's subjective. Depends on one's preferences. What I am surprised about is the very slight price difference between the DSL15C and the DSL40C...

Man...all this post about where this is made is really getting ridiculous. Does it really matter where it is made these days? What does that mean any way, made in UK, made in USA, made in Japan, made in China..... and so on? The truth to the matter is the majority of all the electronic components and even the hardware in these amps or any amps for that matter are all made in "ASIA". Even the high end $3000 Marshalls made in UK have components made in "ASIA". So your choices are really assembled in UK or USA with ASIAN made parts or made in ASIA with ASIAN made parts. Think about it. [tongue] [tongue] [tongue] [tongue]

Man...all this post about where this is made is really getting ridiculous. Does it really matter where it is made these days? What does that mean any way, made in UK, made in USA, made in Japan, made in China..... and so on? The truth to the matter is the majority of all the electronic components and even the hardware in these amps or any amps for that matter are all made in "ASIA". Even the high end $3000 Marshalls made in UK have components made in "ASIA". So your choices are really assembled in UK or USA with ASIAN made parts or made in ASIA with ASIAN made parts. Think about it. [tongue] [tongue] [tongue] [tongue]

For those of you in the US, this is a way wrong way of thinking if you care about the future of engineering and manufacturing in America. There is a HUGE difference in quality when you look at many of the products that are proudly engineered and made in America. Yes, there are other countries and regions that build with quality and pride, but I am an American and support my country and fellow countrymen. My children's future as American's rely on it. Gibson, Fender, Mesa, and many other companys take pride in what their American Products represent. Unfortunately, most of these companies also have tried to compete in the Global marketplace which our Government has done a lousy job of regulating, and in my opinion their lesser globally built products take some percieved luster out of the greatness of their high end brand image.

Bottom line - BUY AMERICAN! It really makes a difference.

For those of you in the US, this is a way wrong way of thinking if you care about the future of engineering and manufacturing in America. There is a HUGE difference in quality when you look at many of the products that are proudly engineered and made in America. Yes, there are other countries and regions that build with quality and pride, but I am an American and support my country and fellow countrymen. My children's future as American's rely on it. Gibson, Fender, Mesa, and many other companys take pride in what their American Products represent. Unfortunately, most of these companies also have tried to compete in the Global marketplace which our Government has done a lousy job of regulating, and in my opinion their lesser globally built products take some percieved luster out of the greatness of their high end brand image.

Bottom line - BUY AMERICAN! It really makes a difference.

Ok, so what are AMERICAN Made products that have non exported parts, Fender, Gibson? Are the electronic components and hardware made in USA? The only parts that can be truly considered made in USA are the body and neck....IMHO. Aside from Guitars, can you give other examples that are made in USA?

What does Engineering have to do with where the product is made? Apple computer was engineered in the USA, but the computer is made overseas in "ASIA" and the product is of high quality.

It did worry me slightly when I read above about these DSLs being made in Vietnam. Regardless of the origin of the components I hardly think that Vietnam is recognized as a major force in guitar amp manufacture. Often, products at the cheaper end of the spectrum are made with more budget materials and in the emerging tiger economies in order to keep them cheap.

It's a fair point that country of manufacture shouldn't be a problem......production line electronics assembly is going to be pretty similar all over the world. I think that, whatever my next amp is, I'm more interested in what it's made of.

It did worry me slightly when I read above about these DSLs being made in Vietnam. Regardless of the origin of the components I hardly think that Vietnam is recognized as a major force in guitar amp manufacture. Often, products at the cheaper end of the spectrum are made with more budget materials and in the emerging tiger economies in order to keep them cheap.

It's a fair point that country of manufacture shouldn't be a problem......production line electronics assembly is going to be pretty similar all over the world. I think that, whatever my next amp is, I'm more interested in what it's made of.

Exactly....You choose a musical instrument primarily by how it sounds to you. If it sounds good to you then be it.

Ok, so what are AMERICAN Made products that have non exported parts, Fender, Gibson? Are the electronic components and hardware made in USA? The only parts that can be truly considered made in USA are the body and neck....IMHO. Aside from Guitars, can you give other examples that are made in USA?

What does Engineering have to do with where the product is made? Apple computer was engineered in the USA, but the computer is made overseas in "ASIA" and the product is of high quality.

You totally missed my point.

The issue is that American jobs are lost. I can't tell you what percentage of content of any particular Gibson or Fender guitar are made in America. At least the engineering and production of many of them (the best ones) are done in America, and that means American jobs and that's good for American people and the American economy. Mesa is very proud of their American only engineering and manufacturing base - they don't build anything outside of their US factories and I respect that. As you point out though, it is doubtful that today 100% of the components of anything are purely souced from American manufacturers. This is unfortunate. 20 or 30 years ago there were more American manufacturers building the components that it took. The problem is that over time, cheaper parts sourced from other countries (using child labor and yes, inferior materials and processes) caused the collapse of American manufacturer's of similar parts. This perpetuates with the belief and attitude you post, and puts your American neighbors out of work.

Archived