Gibson Brands Forums

As Arte Johnson used to say: "Very Interesting."

MissouriPicker

Last night I played at an art gallery. It's totally acoustic. Usually a bunch of folks show-up to play, but last night it was just me and another guy. They had almost thirty people that just came to hear people play songs. I had my J150 and he had a Mcpherson 5 something. It was a big guitar. Said it was all Koa, and it had a really pure sound. I wouldn't mind owning one. And he was a damn-nice guy too. Anyway, he was one-hell-of-a fingerpicker. His music is what you play when you're wearing a tux. We each played a couple songs and then he suggested that he accompany me because I knew a lot of covers. To make a long story short, people in the back of the room couldn't hear his guitar, but the J150 was like thunder. Neither of us were using fingerpicks. No thumbpicks. They asked him if he could play louder. This wasn't a contest. If it were, he'd have won on technique and ability. It's just that his guitar got lost in the volumn of the J150. At one point he strummed a lone E chord with his finger, and then asked me to do the same. After I did, he laughed and said "WOW! The projection of your Gibson is spectacular." He said "it must have come out of Montana."...lol...He asked what the Gibby cost me and I said around 2350. He said his guitar cost him over 7000. We swapped guitars for a few songs and he said the J150 neck was like warm butter to play. His guitar was easy also.....Anyway, we both enjoyed the evening and when we were leaving he said he was blown-away by the J150.

In all sincerity, his guitar was drop-dead gorgeous. Inside the soundhole it looked almost as good as outside. I wouldn't mind owning one. The McPherson quality was superb. Yet, so is the quality of my Gibsons, and for 7+ grand I could get me two killer Gibsons and still have enough change left to get another banjo. I feel a lot of this guitar thing comes down to playing an instrument I can identify with. Bond with. I'm a jeans and tee shirt kind of guy and a 7-grand new age kind of guitar doesn't feel right to me. It's not not just the cost, it also the physical appearance of the instrument and how it blends with me. I think for him, the McPherson fits him well. The Gibson fits me. I've seen ol Chet and Mark play Gibsons wearing tuxs and wearing jeans. I even play mine in my underwear. Not looking to rile-up anyone, but one of the reasons I sold my Songwriter was because someone told me it had that clean look, like a Taylor...lol...Nice guitars, but I don't want a Taylor.......Long story, but the evening was rewarding. And I still think his McPherson was cool looking, just not what I see myself playing.

Yep, ...it was right about here I spilled my coffee... yep, right about here [biggrin]

Yep, me too. The problem with playing in your underwear is wiping down the guitar after the session. Do you go look for a rag, or do you just pick up the closest thing at hand?

Doesn't bear thinking about......

Archived