Gibson Brands Forums

Factory J-45 Strings: PB's or 80/20's?

nickammo

Not sure about the J-45 but my HB-TV came with 80/20's. Not a good combo, changed them to PB's very quickly... I personally always use PB's on mahogany and 80/20's on rosewood.

I'm a singer/songwriter, mostly chord strummer. Is PB or 80/20 usually used for that type of music?

I'm a singer/songwriter, mostly chord strummer. Is PB or 80/20 usually used for that type of music?

Hmm, intersting question. Im not sure if string type is necessarily used so much for the type of music one plays, but more for getting the best tone out of the particular guitar.

You will get a lot of opinions here, and its a VERY individual thing (like pick types and gage for example) but generally if I give you my perspective I would pick 80/20's for rosewood to tame the overtones and balanced out the tone somewhat as the 80/20's bring some of the more 'fundamental' tone of the guitar.

Given that mahogany guitars like a J-45 already have a fundamental tone, I perosnally find PB's enhance the woody, dry tone of a J-45 or other mahogany guitars.

The best thing no doubt is to try a few different brands and types and let your own ears do the talking, not what I or others tell you. Its an innexpensive and in a way fun experiment that is worth the experience. I experimented a lot and now have found my ideal string brand and type for each of my guitars, its quite rewarding in the end.

Hmm, intersting question. Im not sure if string type is necessarily used so much for the type of music one plays, but more for getting the best tone out of the particular guitar.

You will get a lot of opinions here, and its a VERY individual thing (like pick types and gage for example) but generally if I give you my perspective I would pick 80/20's for rosewood to tame the overtones and balanced out the tone somewhat as the 80/20's bring some of the more 'fundamental' tone of the guitar.

Given that mahogany guitars like a J-45 already have a fundamental tone, I perosnally find PB's enhance the woody, dry tone of a J-45 or other mahogany guitars.

The best thing no doubt is to try a few different brands and types and let your own ears do the talking, not what I or others tell you. Its an innexpensive and in a way fun experiment that is worth the experience. I experimented a lot and now have found my ideal string brand and type for each of my guitars, its quite rewarding in the end.

Knowing that it's a personal choice, I ask you for your personal opinion. What are your favorite PB strings for that Hummingbird that you have? I have a HB too.

Knowing that it's a personal choice, I ask you for your personal opinion. What are your favorite PB strings for that Hummingbird that you have? I have a HB too.

The best ones Ive tried are Pyramid Western PB 12's. Luckily for me they are also incredibly cheap as they are maufactured in Germany and I live next door in the Czech Republic.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/pyramid_western_strings_012_052.htm?sid=54fa6b5b88c8c0e9389da110d11d1167

Those are closely followed by DR Sunbeam PB's, and thirdly Martin SP Longlife PB's lights.

HAHAHAHA

HOW MANY TIMES CAN THIS BE ASKED HERE ???????

Do you realize before the internet there were millions of letters circulating around the globe purely discussing the merits of PB's over 80/20's and visa versa........... [wink]

i like PB's on the J-45.Just D'addario E16's seem to do the job ok for me.

Do you realize before the internet there were millions of letters circulating around the globe purely discussing the merits of PB's over 80/20's and visa versa........... [wink]

i like PB's on the J-45.Just D'addario E16's seem to do the job ok for me.

same for me , available everywhere and do what theyre supposed to . i like trying new strings every now and then but theres alway a pack of three dadarrios in the gig bag .

to the OP - daddario pb 12's for a J45 . for singersongwritery stuff.

and del - dont be a grouch , the guys only trying to get info , and have a conversation about guitars while hes at work ,and thats what this place is for ..... :P

well , that and other crap

I think the factory is shipping almost everything with 80/20 but I like PB myself since they seem a little warmer. I like the D'Addario EJ16 but recently tried a set of John Pearse PBs and they are really warm .... I'll try them again against the EJ16 in an A/B fashion to determine which I like best.

The best ones Ive tried are Pyramid Western PB 12's. Luckily for me they are also incredibly cheap as they are maufactured in Germany and I live next door in the Czech Republic.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/pyramid_western_strings_012_052.htm?sid=54fa6b5b88c8c0e9389da110d11d1167

Are these really Phosphor Bronzes? Cover says "Bronze Wound" which made me believe they were 80/20 Bronzes.

Are these really Phosphor Bronzes? Cover says "Bronze Wound" which made me believe they were 80/20 Bronzes.

If you take a look at the juststrings.com description you can see they state they are PB's. The Pyramid website is utterly useless, looks like something out of 1993.

http://www.juststrings.com/pyr-a327.html?cmp=nextopia&kw=pyr-a327

But I can tell you they definitely sound like PB's rather than 80/20's. Very warm.

Archived