Gibson Brands Forums

How to search for Gibsons by date/serial

Jvbo

I am on a quest to buy a guitar made on the same day I was born (don't ask why! [wink] ), 11/18/1988. Therefore, I'm looking for Gibsons with serial numbers starting with 83228xxx.

Does anyone have any tips on how to search by date or s/n?

Many thanks!

Welcome.

I don't think so.

This question has come up before, and as I recall, no one posted a way to perform a search like this. AFAIK there isn't a public serial number registry that can be searched. You're probably left to look/ask for that serial sequence in brick and mortar retailers and online retailers and maybe get lucky.

Welcome.

I don't think so.

This question has come up before, and as I recall, no one posted a way to perform a search like this. AFAIK there isn't a public serial number registry that can be searched. You're probably left to look/ask for that serial sequence in brick and mortar retailers and online retailers and maybe get lucky.

Thanks,

FWIW, the best tactic I found out so far is to set up a custom alert in ebay for "Gibson Les Paul 1988" and check out the s/n one by one.

Guest Farnsbarns

I can't help thinking you'll struggle with this, I just think the odds are so stacked against you. You could get a local luthier to change your serial number quite easily. Just make sure the change is well documented with photos and an invoice which outlines the old and new serial numbers.

I can't help thinking you'll struggle with this, I just think the odds are so stacked against you. You could get a local luthier to change your serial number quite easily. Just make sure the change is well documented with photos and an invoice which outlines the old and new serial numbers.

There's really no point in forging one.

I'm up to this for some kind of nostalgia value I mean to find in a guitar that "was born" the same day I was. Might sound pretty silly to some, but if I am to gather a small collection as years go by, it would really nice if I had one like this. I mean, how many people do you know that has a guitar like this?

As you may infer, I won't find one overnight, so I might as well start searching early.

Archived