Gibson Brands Forums

PUP selection for a ES-150?

Mij

Hi, just got a hold of a 1970 ES-150. Just wanted to gauge others opinion on suitable PUPs for it. I like the idea of low wind Lollars but have recently had the experience with Peter Florance Voodoo...liked them a lot. Does anyone else have an opinion given that this is my first venture into ES-150. Currently have an ES-335 and a Heritage H-535, so the size, hollowness and thickness of the 150 may need a different PUP. I play jazz and blues, no hard rock or metal. Any advice gratefully received.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, again, are there no ideas out there? or advice?

Does anyone know about the ES-150's as there is very little/hardly anything about them: the 1970's version that is. The earlier versions have lots of historical info, mostly repetitive, can't find wiring, PUP specs or anything much. Is it so forgotten because no-one really likes or plays them?

Guessing your 70's hollowbody ES-150 already has humbuckers (if so, are they original?) and you're just curious about switching them out? Does the guitar not sound good?

If you want to go vintage pickups ... why not install mid-60's PAT's?

Otherwise, perhaps go with Lollar Imperials ... like those Colling's uses for their I-35's.

Hey thanks for responses, appreciate any and all suggestions. The guitar came without PUPs.

I have not heard the Imperials, how do they compare to the Low Wind? From the literature it seems the low wind is a bit brighter, is that correct?

Archived