Gibson Brands Forums

UTAH Guitar Center Call Center employee attempts EXTORTION

RS1976

There is an unscrupulous entity in this country. they prey on musicians. its called guitar center.

This is why they will NEVER see a dime from me.

so an online purchase was made September 18th, 2012

few days later Item was originally to be exchanged. not refunded. merely exchanged.

Advised by online Customer Support to - Return to local GC store exchange there.

Local GC manager - gives guitar the once over. takes guitar into room by himself with 2 other employees. returns 10 minute later.

"we cant take this guitar.. it looks used."

I've seen this happen to other people. I've heard these exact words. Precisely the same words come out of another managers mouth regarding returns.

Hourly employee also tells me words to the affect "my manager never takes anything back it makes so much trouble for him and the other managers."

he hands me the guitar back and smiles. rather than argue. I can't believe this. Stunned. I opt to just send back to Kansas City Distro Cntr.

Local GC mngr says... "heres a rtn authorization #. I let them know it was coming."

-this raises so many red flags... but i say nothing.

I call 866 customer #. call cntr rep tells me when she looks up my account that RTN authorization was set up by local GC mngr. says in her notes that guitar is badly damaged.

-oh jezuz... uh man... The local manager set me up.... I can't believe this.

so i tell her theres nothing wrong with the guitar i only wanted to exchange. but this is becoming less likely as the local managers have made claims that the guitar is 'badly damaged'

call cntr assures me, not to worry they can make the exchange. refund. no worries as i am within my 30 days to return. i ship back the guitar. its received. accounted for. then a week goes by.... nothing.

after my exchange never goes through, i asked if they would just cancel the order, as i need a suitable instrument for work and this should have been resolved quicker. I can get things faster from somewhere else.

suddenly the call cntr employee says everything has been canceled. and he adds "i see they canceled your order, and your refund"

so in plain english...

they authorized my return.

they dragged their feet on the exchange

when i opted for full refund they canceled everything. exchange - refund

they got the guitar back AND my money.

i asked the words no one wants to say...

"I'd like to speak with your manager, please"

a woman who claims to be an accounts manager for the GC Call cntr who might or might not be named Chelsea in Utah tells me, the "i'm so sorry for this mix up. for this delay. Yes we received the guitar, yes its accounted for. we'll have this refund processed today."

she speculates what "might have happened" Distribution Center may be backed up. since there was a cancellation, and refund, and another exchange they might have become confused"

i explained that her speculation was not the concern. The concern was that the return was accepted. Authorized received and a week had gone by and no notice of refund had been so much as even pending on my bank account.

then she asked me 'can you hold for just a minute'

Can you hold for just a minute = over 60 minutes. Yes folks.... my call was at 60 minutes from start to finish.

she lets me know

Yes Guitar was received Exchange was still possible, or refund. I opted for refund. She had to 'wait and see'

I received a phone call two hours later from a man who may... or may not be named Duran. and he might or might not work as a supervisor at the call center involving returns at the Utah Call Center.

this really blew my mind. He tells me they want to keep..... $400 as a restocking fee.

I was stunned. I told him this was unacceptable and in no way was I taking this. Duran followed this statement up by informing me, "the guitar is damaged according to the guitar center notes." He wanted $400. If i didn't agree to his terms of this return, then they were going to ship the guitar back to me.

I informed him that too was unacceptable. That I would not receive an instrument that was returned to them in good condition, in good faith, within the allowed time frame and raised a concern that a restocking fee that was $400 is simply insane.

He then said they will ship the guitar back to me.

I told him I would not accept that.

Duran told me he would lower the amount of this restocking fee to $250.

This too was not acceptable.

Duran told me he would allow for a refund for a restock fee of $200.

I was just silent.

Logically speaking here.... if there is a violation of policy. then the matter is not negotiable. if there was a restock fee then you can't negotiate it. It is what it is. So for the 'restock fee' to go from 450 to 200 in less than 10 seconds was proof that these Guitar Center employees were extorting money because i would rather take my business elsewhere. One can't change policy just because they feel like it. Thus to invent a number like $400 and tell a customer 'take this financial loss or else' is downright wrong.

My bank, have been incredibly cool about this. my local banker in town has been informed of all of this and has agreed to step in on my behalf and make good on a guaranteed purchase backed by them.

as for guitar center. F**K them. they will never see any of my business again.

if you choose to deal with this company, perhaps you wont have this experience, however this amounted to extortion and does not endear me to their bull.sh!t. again. I will NEVER give them another dime.

buyer beware

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup..............It's quite typical theses days for a business entity to bluff and force a client to fight for honesty, and to see if the wronged client is going to actually get an attorney.

Darn shame.....Thanks for posting..

a year ago I thought I had "sniped" a tweed Blues Jr from Musicians Friend(= GC online).....after looking at "out of stock" for 2 months, & went on that night & it was listed as "in stock-ready to ship", so I yanked the trigger.

within 2 minutes I recieved notice of "thanks for shopping w/us" and an email from my bank stating the purchase had cleared.

remember this part, less than 2 minutes to remove the $ from my bank !!

the next EVENING I received a MF e-mail...."sorry, item is out of stock and on back order".

a phone call to MF informed me that the backorder time was 6 months to whenever...IF Fender did another run of them at all.

I asked for a refund....no problem I was told....

long story short, after NINE WEEKS elapsed time, 5 e-mails, 3 phone calls, and finally a threat of litigation for my $ and unspecified damages for emotional distress.....they finally released my $ back into my bank account.

< 2 minutes to grab the cash, but 9 weeks to return it.(nearly at gunpoint at that)

I don't even "window shop" @ GC/MF online now.....it's either "Mom-n-Pop", or Sweetwater, or I just won't make a purchase.

This is why I watch BONANZA. See, poeple need to re-learn how to just be honest and do what is right. It really SHOULDN'T have to require any major "stepping up" to achieve this.

I think it's not a matter of out-right TRYING to rip you off, but that is what ends up happening when no one cares or honors anything.

I see a conflict with the GC store and MF. The manager has no interest in taking any guitar back for MF. Just messes with his inventory and work load. Maybe it isn't "factory fresh" like the other 30 he has there in the store that has been played by everyone. Or, whatever. But why is a business deal at MF turning into something that effects his numbers? But, sinse he works for the man, he NEEDS a reason why he can't take it.

Sucks for him, but I bet rather than just telling the truth (which, he can't, can he?), he likely feels he is just doing the job as been handed to him from above. I bet he doesn't even feel he did anything wrong.

At MF, there was no "mix-up from too much inventory" after a week. They had this BS report attatched to your guitar that they had to deal with. The TRUTH would have been, "sorry sir, it's not that we don't believe you, or want to give you another guitar or refund, we just have this BS report that requires us to check it".

Sinse they haven't got to it yet, they get this slick guy on the phone to TRY and get more money from you, so they can stock the guitar as a "second" or used and sell at a discount.

Sinse no one is telling the truth, it makes it hard to have an actual conversation. It all gets down to: how much wear or damage did it have, what is the "acceptable" amount, and how does that work with your origonal agreement.

Sad but true,

I bought my Rebel 30 at Guitar Center San Antonio Texas. I was only in that city for a few days and wanted to bring a Rebel back with me to Spain. All they had in stock was the floor model. I went to test it out and it wouldn't make a sound. We tried switching the cords, still nothing. The sales girl brings the amp in the back and after about 15 or 20 minutes comes back with the amp and says it's fine. I tried the amp and it worked and sounded fine. The told me if I wanted a new boxed amp I'd have to pay the shipping charge to get one from another store. What??? I argued that point but as I was running out of time I just said I'd take the display model. The sales girl then goes to ring up the amp just as it was no box, no carry bag, no foot switch that come with it... :blink: I was like where's the box and all the stuff that comes with that head. She said its our policy to through out all the boxes of gear when we put it on display so that stuff must have been thrown out. I just looked at her stunned then I said that policy is mucked,,, Here is the unbelievable part cause after that she said to me "I know that's why I stopped being a Guitar Center client three years before I started working here". She then tells me she will see if any of the stuff has been put away. She starts opening draws behind the counter and finds a foot switch and carry bag. Carry bag had no shoulder strap though and I knew they come with them so I demanded she find the shoulder. She couldn't find it so she took the shoulder strap off another gig bag... Maybe the guy who buys that amp wont notice...

When I got the amp back to Spain, which I hand carried on the plane, it didn't work. Nothing, no sound, dead. I figured Shipping it back to San Antonio would cost half the cost of the amp so I just tried a new set of tubes that I paid for out of my pocket that should have been covered under warrantee... OK that was my choice but never should have happened.

Sad but true,

I bought my Rebel 30 at Guitar Center San Antonio Texas. I was only in that city for a few days and wanted to bring a Rebel back with me to Spain. All they had in stock was the floor model. I went to test it out and it wouldn't make a sound. We tried switching the cords, still nothing. The sales girl brings the amp in the back and after about 15 or 20 minutes comes back with the amp and says it's fine. I tried the amp and it worked and sounded fine. The told me if I wanted a new boxed amp I'd have to pay the shipping charge to get one from another store. What??? I argued that point but as I was running out of time I just said I'd take the display model. The sales girl then goes to ring up the amp just as it was no box, no carry bag, no foot switch that come with it... :blink: I was like where's the box and all the stuff that comes with that head. She said its our policy to through out all the boxes of gear when we put it on display so that stuff must have been thrown out. I just looked at her stunned then I said that policy is mucked,,, Here is the unbelievable part cause after that she said to me "I know that's why I stopped being a Guitar Center client three years before I started working here". She then tells me she will see if any of the stuff has been put away. She starts opening draws behind the counter and finds a foot switch and carry bag. Carry bag had no shoulder strap though and I knew they come with them so I demanded she find the shoulder. She couldn't find it so she took the shoulder strap off another gig bag... Maybe the guy who buys that amp wont notice...

When I got the amp back to Spain, which I hand carried on the plane, it didn't work. Nothing, no sound, dead. I figured Shipping it back to San Antonio would cost half the cost of the amp so I just tried a new set of tubes that I paid for out of my pocket that should have been covered under warrantee... OK that was my choice but never should have happened.

Dave you actually bought am amp that you knew yourself didn't work, then believed the salesperson got it to work in back!!??

Do I have some swamp land in florida for you bud.

Look I've returned many things to guitar center and never had an issue in that area. Always had my money quickly refunded. I have had issues with salestwits saying one thing then having a manager saying they couldn't give me that price but me being persistant and offering to walk away from the sale usually sways them.

The issues you folks have had is common with all big retail outlets. I've had em with Best Buy, Macy's, WalMart, Verizon, etc. The best thing is you are the one in charge. There are numerous companies I don't do business with anymore. There's always another choice.

I only deal now with a local mom & pop shop that carries PRS, Fender, and a few other brands.

They use to carry Gibson, but he saw to many with flaws that were missed by QC, and he was charged a huge fee just to carry the name.

I also buy from Sweetwater, great place to do business with, and they email you and even call you up to make sure you are liking your purchase, first class all the way.

Anyways, when I got back into guitars last spring, I wanted the new '61 SG Reissue.

My local GC wanted to sell me one off the wall that had been played by every pimply faced wanna be rock star kid, and I said I wanted a new one.

They tried to talk me into taking it still, and said they would order me a new one and I could exchange the wall one for the new one when it came in.

I did not like that, so I asked to talk with the manager a day later, and said to order me one directly from Gibson which they did.

I picked it up and it was flawless, and I love this SG.

A few weeks later I took it back as it would not stay int tune, and it was due to a sale guy not stretching the new Ernie Ball Titaniums (out of Cobalts at the time) that I had them put on.

The sales guy I had order me the new SG was there, as he was gone in Brazil at the time when I picked it up a few weeks prior.

He is the guitar tech for Queensryche and was at the Brazil show where things went ugly for lead singer Geoff Tate when they tried to kick him out of the band.

Anyways, he talked me into buying the expensive Peterson Stomp Classic pedal for over $200 when a cheaper one would have sufficed for me.

Needless to say the TC Electronics Polytune I bought for my son and then one for me at more than half the price I like much better.

I do believe he sold me the more expensive one to make more of a commission.

GC will never see anymore of my $$$ either.

Heard to many horror stories.

That sucks,

It is getting harder and harder to find "Mom&Pop" establishments with ANY selection of new Gibsons, due to their purchasing requirements.

So, at least in Boston anyhow, that leaves GC as pretty much the ONLY store with any sort of selection from Gibson.

If they pushed their employees to provide proper Customer Service like my employer, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Wow some real horror stories there.

They sold me a pair of used tubed the other day. I opened the box in the parking lot and

some of the pins were bent over like someone pulled them out at an angle.

I brought them back in and the guy said sorry we don't take back microphones (Understood) or tubes. Then angry Mark

made an appearance,keep in mind this is the same guy that just sold them too me

10 minutes earlier.

I really keep my emotions in check but this was just too much.

I got my money back

Arlington Hts Illinois store

These days, this is common. GC sucks. Everybody who buys from them has to expect that they will have to deal with this kind of stuff. That's the choice we make when we walk into GC. They're horrible. It's like a zoo of weasels.

But at the same time, there are ways to avoid being treated like this. There are ways to avoid getting into these situations. There are good and bad ways to handle these problems.

Like when there's a problem, always deal directly with the person who is responsible for the problem. And when you want to back yourself out of some situation you don't like, back straight out of it. Don't go around in circles. Undo the steps you took to get into the situation one at a time.

The mistake that the you made, RS1976, that you could have avoided, was to try to exchange the guitar at the local store. You should have returned the guitar and bought a different one. That way, you would have backed out of the problem the way you got into it. Would have been easy. But you wanted to do something where everything had to work out perfectly for it to work. You got the local weasel involved when you could have easily avoided the situation.

The problem with GC is that they are pretty much dishonest. Whaddya gonna do? Just assume they're dishonest, I guess.

Sad but true,

I would never buy that amp if it already had problems to begin with. I always state what accessories the guitar or the amp should come with before I even say SOLD. Be prepared before you go to GC, bring a copy of the item description and what accessories it comes with in paper, from their website so they can't give you any BULL. You have to be firm and even be a prick/***** to deal with GC or they will take advantage of you. Yes, I shop there often, but I shop there prepared and not be taken like a fool. I've been going to guitar center since the late 70s and they have dramatically changed on how they treat their customers for the worst.

Dave you actually bought am amp that you knew yourself didn't work, then believed the salesperson got it to work in back!!??

Do I have some swamp land in florida for you bud.

Look I've returned many things to guitar center and never had an issue in that area. Always had my money quickly refunded. I have had issues with salestwits saying one thing then having a manager saying they couldn't give me that price but me being persistant and offering to walk away from the sale usually sways them.

The issues you folks have had is common with all big retail outlets. I've had em with Best Buy, Macy's, WalMart, Verizon, etc. The best thing is you are the one in charge. There are numerous companies I don't do business with anymore. There's always another choice.

Yes I know I was stupid but I really wanted that Rebel 30... I have a Rebel 20 that I love but I wanted the built in reverb and two channels that the 30 has. I was only in the states for a couple more days and had no other choice. I let my passion get the best of me and bought the amp anyway...

So do you think that swamp land can be urbanized in the future?

BTW, the only Guitar Center I will do business with in the future is the Boston store because I have a guy there ( Rusty ) who takes care of me and treats his customers like the old mom & pop stores did.

GC is also famous for not including the nylon gig bags for the PRS SE guitars.

They claim the gig bags are not included, yet they are suppose to be as PRS states this on their website, and other places online like Sweetwater and Andertons in the UK include it.

CROOKS!

This is also Googable...

Yes I know I was stupid but I really wanted that Rebel 30... I have a Rebel 20 that I love but I wanted the built in reverb and two channels that the 30 has. I was only in the states for a couple more days and had no other choice. I let my passion get the best of me and bought the amp anyway...

So do you think that swamp land can be urbanized in the future?

BTW, the only Guitar Center I will do business with in the future is the Boston store because I have a guy there ( Rusty ) who takes care of me and treats his customers like the old mom & pop stores did.

My brother worked there at one time before getting his own store nearby

I'd like to point at GC, Walmart, etc., etc.

But for what it's worth, how long has it been since folks have been in a government "service" office lately, whether to get a drivers license or anything else?

It's to me the inevitability of increasing populations bringing increasing centralization both of "business" and "government" that makes employees drones to "policy" and anything they can do to not have to do more than the minimum for a paycheck. And "policy" and bureaucracy makes that not only possible, but also the best way to job retention and/or promotion.

Yeah, it sucks. Ain't gonna change in my lifetime - or likely anyone else here.

Rage against the dying of the light, but "we" vote for this in innumerable ways from where and how we make our purchases to how we elect politicians from local levels upward (counties sometimes are worst), and to how we, ourselves, vote to live our own lives.

m

But for what it's worth, how long has it been since folks have been in a government "service" office lately, whether to get a drivers license or anything else?

It's to me the inevitability of increasing populations bringing increasing centralization both of "business" and "government" that makes employees drones to "policy" and anything they can do to not have to do more than the minimum for a paycheck. And "policy" and bureaucracy makes that not only possible, but also the best way to job retention and/or promotion.

Yeah, it sucks. Ain't gonna change in my lifetime - or likely anyone else here.

Rage against the dying of the light, but "we" vote for this in innumerable ways from where and how we make our purchases to how we elect politicians from local levels upward (counties sometimes are worst), and to how we, ourselves, vote to live our own lives.

m

The hell I voted for this. nope. no way. so whatever. Kindly do not detract from the OP to toss out philosophical ideas. Not on this one, please.

Guitar Center Employee Duran of the Utah Call Center. Account Manager, strong armed his way through by any means necessary to rip a customer off. That practice is wrong.

The OP is to tell others, warn others here who spend money, often a lot of money, particularly on guitars, that if they deal with Guitar Center, in person, or online this is what they can expect should a need to utilize the return exchange policy.

Okay... I'm old. I'm cynical.

I've seen ripoffs by businesses for over 50 years. I've also seen ripoffs by dishonest customers for over 50 years. That's just since I was a teen. It ain't "philosophy," it's culture and law.

I'm not sure that all GCs are that bad - or at least, not all GC management and staff. You prefer covering one persons report of an exceptionally negative experience and turning it into a closed feedback loop that doesn't accept additional input or information.

The other side of the coin is people taking out a new instrument perhaps for a gig, then returning it with pickmarks, etc., as a "new" return, is likely no secret among music store personnel. That also tends to be an increasingly closed feedback loop among such folks who, even the most honest of them, often feel their own livelihoods cheated by unscrupulous customers.

You wanna hit a given "nasty," fine. There are uncounted instances on both sides in today's world. Document and get with a lawyer, your local better business bureau or your state's consumer protection agency.

And yes, whether or not you personally can state you haven't "voted" for this or that, "we" as a culture have done exactly that through our lifestyles.

Yet, as to how an individual can respond to the nastiness of bureaucracies, retail sales or governmental bureau decisions on personal issues... regardless, deal...

First, with cynicism at the initial purchase regardless the vendor. Expect their error inadvertent or through sloth, or a "cheat." Inspect, investigate and otherwise cover your ... donkey.

Second, realize that yes, sellers may be willing to sell defective goods, but also that they likely will be equally cynical in covering themselves in case you, the buyer, are following an increasing trend to do something with the product and then claim it was defective.

Third, if possible, don't do business with unfamiliar sales operations unless you are in full function of #1 and #2.

Consider too that the facts of business disputes of this sort ain't changed in literally thousands of years. And attorneys on both sides of such disputes have found plenty of business in litigating them.

m

I just pretty much do a "mom & pop". I've learned to see what I'm getting before I lay out the cash, plus "mom" told me yesterday anything I purchased from them would be discounted from their retail (they charge the same as the online retailers GC, MF, AMS) plus they treat you like a person and not just a sale.

I purchased 3 different amplifiers from GC's online catalog, all of which were listed as USED and of the three, two of them were listed under VINTAGE.

The first one was a head and cabinet, $199 with free shipping because it was listed as vintage and it arrived to me with some obvious issues that weren't mentioned even when I called the store it was located at and spoke to a GC representative. So I returned it to my local GC and they hesitantly gave me a full refund only after I went through every thing that was clearly wrong with the amp, that couldn't have been damaged during shipping.

The second one was a head that was listed at $299 and came to about $325 with shipping and tax, and it arrived banged up in the package from transit. I turned it on and it was all kinds of tweaked so I brought it back in person to my local GC and they once again hesitantly gave me a full refund.

The third and final time was with another head that was listed at $399 with free shipping because it was listed as vintage and it arrived to me not working 100% internally which wasn't mentioned even after I called the store it came from. I brought it back to my local GC and because this was my third time in about two weeks they simply took it and said nothing.

I had three different amps in the span of two weeks that didn't work from them, and they did take them all back, with FULL refunds. That included the shipping I paid on one of them, and they even ate the shipping on the first and third transaction that were listed at free shipping.

I have bought about a half dozen other amps and cabinets from them online, because a lot of the time they have them listed incorrectly and/or for far below their actual value. I would say with my experience it's about a 2/3 shot that it gets to you safe and working.

I don't have any experience buying guitars from GC or MF other than my 2011 SG Standard, which had some minor imperfections.

It's definitely a coin toss.

if I have no other choice than yes the Boston store is acceptable, I also had very good luck with the store in Metairie LA. when I was there.

My biggest gripe is the strangle hold they have on the Gibson market here, again nothing doing with them, but Gibson's ridiculous ordering requirements.

My brother worked there at one time before getting his own store nearby

Where is your bro's store at? I would be more than happy to throw some business at him.

m

Milod, I think you are a wise man. I wrote a whole responding diatribe, but remembering my first sentence, I said screw it, and will just say: I am a government employee, and many of us - many of us - work hard for our money...

I think MILOD is spot on, and also the perspective he gives is one worth viewing.

I think also, when we "vote" with our purchases and business dealings, it is really worth considering that often typical GC employee is a kid, and working at thier first job or close to it. And what they are learning of the business world is what is being taught them from thier "training" at the companany. We don't learn everything from our parents.

They can learn from customers just as easily. So how we act, how we treat them, and the business ethics we show them might just have an impact later down the road. SOON down the road.

I have a great example of something: Some time ago, I was in a temporary tough spot, and a bank account I had ignored for about a month had accrued about 900 dollars in overdraft fees and penalties. The origin was one transaction of about 40 dollars causing a negative balance of about 20. (yea we disagreed on that). In getting everthing back on track, and deciding to keep the same bank, the next obvious step was overdraft protection. Not ONE option or program was approved. Not the "overdraft" program, not a credit card with 5000 limit, not one with 500 dollar limit, nor with a co-signer. I just plain didn't qualify.

Now, here are SOME stats: been with the bank for 25 years, have 3 (three) home loans taken with them, all fully paid off. My personal credit (credit score and such) still good, income level/debt ratio still great. The reason, and the ONLY reason the "computer", or bank was rejecting the options for overdraft protection was, because I had become rescently overdraft.

The reason I go into this, is to point out this particular moment at this bank with this lady. ANY reasonable person can see that if they take the "risk" to give overdraft protection, they are going to get thier money. In fact, it doesn't take a dummy to see that if I just paid 800+ in pure fees, 500 should be well within even that. But, this lady can do nothing, and her opinion doesn't matter nor her observations. She has no authority, and no ability. And, no human in the bank there does either.

The moral here, is it helps to know if you are doing business with a person, or a policy. It effects what you can get or just spinning your wheels, who to get mad at (if you do), and also how you might decide to treat that person. "Voting" with your wallet has very real consequences as to what and who stays in business or doesn't. But just as important, "voting" with your additude and how you treat poeple means just as much, as it does have a very real impact on what society does as a consequence of how we treat each other, who succeeds and who doesn't.

Archived