Gibson Brands Forums

John Cage - 4'33"

Ryan H

That piece has been performed at every single classical concert I've ever attended.

It's usually marked down in the programme under it's better known title; 'Intermission'.

A small point; why does it take 9' 23" to perform 4' 33" ? Are the players that slow in between the three movements to prepare for the upcoming one?

P.

Perhaps ASLSP, from the same composer, is more to everyones liking?

Space (and, as you'll see, common sense) means I can only post a written taster...

"Organ²/ASLSP (As SLow aS Possible) is a musical piece composed by John Cage and is the subject of one of the longest-lasting musical performances yet undertaken..........The current organ performance of the piece at St. Burchardi church in Halberstadt, Germany, began in 2001 and is scheduled to have a duration of 639 years, ending in 2640."

Check it out if you have the time.....

P.

The lengths artists will go to, to be 'original' :blink:

Yoko Ono...ghastly screeching etc

Tracy Emin...dirty unmade bed...

Damien Hurst...pickled animals(various)

I can't remember his name...pile of bricks...

Your turn....

V

:-({|=

Guest Farnsbarns

I think it perfectly obvious that John Cage has written this piece to represent tbe utter stupidity and pretenciousness of his audiences. Talk about emperor's new clothes, look at them all clapping, pretending they enjoyed it for the art. What a lot of bullsh1t.

I think it perfectly obvious that John Cage has written this piece to represent tbe utter stupidity and pretenciousness of his audiences. Talk about emperor's new clothes, look at them all clapping, pretending they enjoyed it for the art. What a lot of bullsh1t.

The point of the piece is that the ambient noise creates the song, therefore it's different every time, and it's also a different experience for every person, since everyone hears things in a different way. Also, the audience appeared to be a fairly mature one, who are able to appreciate something such as this.

Don't judge something you don't understand.

The audience is obviously much smarter than you.

-Ryan

That piece has been performed at every single classical concert I've ever attended.

It's usually marked down in the programme under it's better known title; 'Intermission'.

A small point; why does it take 9' 23" to perform 4' 33" ? Are the players that slow in between the three movements to prepare for the upcoming one?

P.

You obviously are not aware that there is an intermission between the 2nd and 3rd movements. That is why it takes longer than 4 minutes and 33 seconds to complete the performance.

What I want to know is if the orchestra members actually get the score or just have to remember how it goes.

One other thing, since you have heard this piece more than a few times, is there one particulat performane that sticks out in your mind. One of the best renditions is the one that comes free with every ipod. All to often people record right over it.

Guest Farnsbarns

The point of the piece is that the ambient noise creates the song, therefore it's different every time, and it's also a different experience for every person, since everyone hears things in a different way. Also, the audience appeared to be a fairly mature one, who are able to appreciate something such as this.

Don't judge something you don't understand.

The audience is obviously much smarter than you.

-Ryan

[lol] How's those new clothes?

And when do the audience receive their royalties for the performance?

[lol]

Guest Farnsbarns

Ya'll just jealous and mad.

NO guitarist can accomplish this.

I'm gonna do a version with the band. I might perform it at an open mic night next tuesday. I can definitely do it but not on guitar, I'm gonna break out my didge and perform it on that.

B)

My interpretation of the Cage piece is not that the silence is to be filled by the audience. The fact that there is no sound to an art that previously required sound is basically pushing the art form to its extreme. In that sense, it becomes a purely intellectual/conceptual work. The idea is more important than the performance or the work, itself. Same is true for Duchamp's Fountain or Malevich's White on White.

Malevich White on White

malevich-white-on-white.jpg

If the audience thinks it's cute, then they do not understand its meaning. But the fact that the audience is experiencing this anti-art phenonmenon fulfills the conceptual requirement for, and affirmation of, the work's existence as a work of art.

I wonder what Cage's score looks like. Is it totally blank, or is it pages of rests, or one rest played in a very slow tempo?

Archived