Gibson Brands Forums

Serial Number Question

sundown08

Hi Everyone:

I bought a used 2009 ES335 Vintage Plain Top from Guitar Center about a year ago. I just love it and would never dream of parting with it. Recently I was cleaning it and found something odd. The serial # on the sticker inside the guitar does not match the serial number stamped into the headstock. The number on the headstock ends in a 5 and the number on the label ends in a 6. All other numbers match. Seems like a simple mistake was made when the label was filled out. Don't know why I never noticed this before now. The guitar is a Memphis made 335. Serial # is 8 digits long. Also the Model information on the label is correct. Just wondering if I should worry.

Regards,

Steve

I have a 2007 Roy Orbison ES-335 that was made in Memphis and that had a mistake on the orange label. It was spotted by Gibson Service when I was authenticating both my Orbison 335's. Contact them and they will check and maybe correct the mistake.

Bob

For warranty purposes, I'd take pictures of the conflicting serial numbers, email them to Gibson customer service, and then have them put the resolution in writing via a return email. You'll then have their response for verification in case any questions arise down the road.

Hi Everyone:

Thank you so much for the replies. I will be contacting Gibson to see what they can do regarding the serial number on the label Vs the headstock. Being as how I am not the original purchaser I am not sure if they will do anything. I have had my guitar checked out by a VERY reputable Luthier and he has confirmed that it is the real deal and is one of the better 335's he has seen. He thinks they just made a mistake on the label.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Regards,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Archived