Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - LP Standard Plus

badbluesplayer

This is funny!

It's like an old Silent Movie where the audience is in on the joke with the Star whose wife has just got home from her Mother's...

I can hear the honky-tonk piano building up to an excited climax.....

[scared]

P.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Wife just got back. I stashed all the evidence and I'm trying to keep a straight face"

this is cracking me up!!!!

Badblues, you know the jig is gonna be up soon,

Just make plans to take her out to dinner, some place nice, know what I mean??

bbp,, when she finds out can you post the pic side by side with the thumbs up pic you have?

lol...

Good on ya man. What's your secret,, I would love to slip a strat in the door. And an SG shortly after...

Other than the trolling going on this is a great thread.

Kaleb, just report him. I did. Obvious troll. When did this become his forum,, it's not even his thread.

Corrosion of Intelligence more like it. His reputation is -20. What does that tell ya.

Does your buddy know that the guitar actually belongs to him when shes around? [biggrin] That beauty really stands out. Going to be hard for her to miss!!!

LOL!!

the pic with the first intonation,, really WTH??

but that sure is a beautiful guitar man.. Enjoy the playing!

O.K. The axe is "on the vehicle for delivery." The guy gets here at like 10 or 10:30 AM. Now as long as my wife doesn't see the Fedex guy, I'll be in the clear. :unsure:

The problem is, my wife can smell a Fedex truck coming from like ten miles away. I'll probably be down there sweeping the end of our gravel driveway all morning, whistling nervously. She'll never know. [unsure]

I can hear it now. "What did you buy now?" I'll be holding the guitar box and telling her "just some strings."

[thumbup]

Hysterical!! Good to know I'm not the only one out there thats had to hide a guitar. Lmao

And congrats on a beautiful new guitar!

Beautiful LP Bluesman. Congrats. Can't believe you had to do that much set-up work. I always thought Sweetwater did a good job before they shipped their guitars. Guess you can never believe what you hear. I had to do similar set-up work when I got my LP from First Quality Music, but I always thought Sweetwater was better.

Beautiful LP Bluesman. Congrats. Can't believe you had to do that much set-up work. I always thought Sweetwater did a good job before they shipped their guitars. Guess you can never believe what you hear. I had to do similar set-up work when I got my LP from First Quality Music, but I always thought Sweetwater was better.

A setup is a way personal thing. The factory and retailer try to get it how most people would like it but there are differences in what players like.

Bluesman felt the plain string nut slots were too shallow but the "proper" setup is that the string should only lie half in the slot and half on top. Not everyone likes that but I do. I find it holds the string well and makes the possibility of the string binding on the nut a lot less than if it was deeper. If you make the slot too deep now you may have an issue with fret buzz and action. I like the Plek set up but some may want something different. Nothing wrong with that.

I would not fault Sweetwater fot the "proper spec" setup. It's really all up to the individual players preference.

As far as the intonation is concerned I check that every time I change strings. It's easy to do and adjust if necessary and my guitars always play in tune with themselves.

Sorry for being so long winded. I just love this stuff and Bluesplayer...... that is a beautiful guitar you have there. Play it in good health.

As far as the nut slots go, a lot of other people have complained about their new Gibsons - that their g strings were high at the first fret, so I was kind of looking closely at the string height at the first fret. The string heights at the first fret are "supposed" to be 2/64, 2/64, 1.5/64, 1.5/64, 1/64 and 1/64, starting from the bass side.

I could tell just by looking at the strings that all the unwound strings were high. I measured them at 2/64, 2/64, 1.5/64, 2.5/64, 2/64 and 1.5/64. It just didn't play right and I could tell it was off. I filed them down to spec and the guitar plays like butter. The action is actually probably like 4/64 to 2.5/64, compared with spec, which is like 5/64 to 3/64. No buzz. I can't hardly make it buzz by trying.

I can see how people would be ticked off by the nut height thing. I'm lucky I was able to recognize the problem and fix it.

Anyway, the guitar's great!! [thumbup]

Overall, the workmanship is absolutely impeccable.

Being curious and using the same specs as you, which is the same as in Dan Erlewine's book, I measured and found that it met the spec and in some cases it was actually lower. Absolutely no buzz regardless of how agressive I get. I should mention that I changed the strings from the Gibson .10' to Ernie Ball Cobalts .09's. This most likely accounts for the ever so slightly smaller space.

I bought it in store at a Guitar Center so I do not think they did anything to adjust it before they showed it to me. I have to assume it is the way it left Nashville.

You would think that using the Plek machine to file frets and nuts that all their guitars are within spec with minimal tolerance.

I am not doubting what you say but how the hell does that happen? I mean even if the Plek operator made a slight error it still had to get past Gibson QC and Sweetwaters 55 point inspection.

I just probably got lucky in that it met the spec. Since I changed string gauge right away I can't comment on the out of the box intonation.

The only conclusion I can come to is that they don't do what they say they do.

This is the curse guitar freaks like us must suffer. :-({|=

Still this is the best playing and sounding LP I have ever put my hands on. I am willing to bet you feel the same.

So I am off my soabox..... for now.

Best to you.

BillyBob - I'm guessing that it has something to do with the fact that the wound strings bend easier than the plain ones, so the wound ones curve over the nut in a tighter arc than the plain ones. The plain strings come out of the nut (on the fretboard side) and they're still heading upward a little and it takes them a little longer to straighten out. That makes them higher at the first fret. I'm sure the PLEK machine is supposed to account for the differences in stiffness between strings, but it's not happening.

The string height at the first fret is something that I don't think Sweetwater checks. I guess I could look at their checklist and see. Most Mom & Pop luthiers would catch it, but maybe not until the customer buys it and they do a setup.

Archived