Gibson Brands Forums

2012 SG Standard Limited

DiamondJig

I ordered the SG Standard Limited Edition in Natural Burst for $999 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-sg-standard-limited-electric-guitar/h78031000003000 from MF

It arrived today and it is not what they showed.

First the pickups are uncovered.

They are not 490R & 498T, I believe they are BB1 & BB3, I measured them and they are 7.5 & 8.6

It has coil splitting volume controls

The fret board is not Baked maple it's Rosewood.

I'm not sure about the neck profile it might be a 60's

It sure seems like one of these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-sg-standard-electric-guitar-with-coil-splitting-humbucker-pickups/h78103#

got this

DV016_Jpg_Large_H78103.002_honey_burst_body_closeup.jpg

ordered this

DV016_Jpg_Large_H78031.003_natural_burst_body_closeup.jpg

Hey DiamondJig:

Musiciand "friend" can be anything but. They can be more like Musicians PunkAss

if you paid your hard earned $$ on an SG and received the wrong one (and can't live with it) send the guitar back and get exactly what you ordered!

Guitar Center who is 'related' to musicians fiend they tried to stick it to me recently regarding an exchange/return.

Good Luck getting the axe that was meant for you!

Yikes. While I do like BurstBuckers better than the 490 series, getting something different than what was advertised is not right.

This might be a Gibson mess up. I heard Jeff Tweedy blew a gasket with Gibson because his signature models weren't all the same: some had BBs while others had 490s.

Looks like you got one of those GC or MF exclusives, I bought one in white but returned it because it came with rosewood fretboard instead of ebony, this was before the whole raid fiasco.

I really like the neck on these, flattened 60's, I like it better than the neck on my SG.

I am torn - while it blows hard you got sent a guitar you did not order, but if I'm reading it right, they sent you the more expensive SG with the pricier pups and rosewood fretbrd? If this were me, I would keep it as a "mistake = win" (that's ME tho, not at all giving advice or suggesting anything). I do see your point very well though. I hope you get the guitar you want without any further hassle.

They are not 490R & 498T, I believe they are BB1 & BB3, I measured them and they are 7.5 & 8.6

A 498 would measure around 14k. If you like the guitar, who cares? Call them, complain, and see if you can get a little compensation for not receiving the exact guitar you ordered. I love natural SG Standards. Beautiful.

All good replies, the product code and serial number match the box and seem to match the one I ordered, I sent an email to Gibbson with the SN to see what they have listed. The guitar does seem to match the more expensive exclusive SG's that I've seen in my local GC, I want to stop by and see if they have one and see what the product code is on it. The guitar is very nice, the back is one piece and seems to have a bit of flame to it as does the neck, as much as mahoney has flame. It feels goodandplay nice but I'm not too happy with the sound of the BB's. I have a LP Trad with BB1/BB3 and it had those little blue caps and I wasn't too happy with them, I changed to the orange drop caps and it seemed to help a bit and I'm not to happy the this SG as it has the combo of BB's and blue caps and I not liking the sound. Another problem is when I recieved it the neck was too tight and action too high so I tried to adjust it but the neck has almost no relief, even with the nut loose, I want to let it sit with the loose nut to see how much it moves. I'll keep it around for a few days and see if I can adjust it and dial in a sound.

Odd mistake.

Whilst it's always nice to get what you asked for if it were me I'd keep the one you received. Baked Maple is nice but IMHO Rosewood is nicer still.

I'm far from knowledgeable about the SG range but according to the two links in your OP both guitars should come with the 490/498 combination; not BBs.

If you prefer the p-ups covered then perhaps MF could be persuaded to give you a pair of Gibson covers as a form of compensation?

Hopefully the neck will calm down and you can have the luxury of having to choose which direction to take as regards the instrument you received.

Keep us posted as to how it turns out.

P.

That is terrible and a huge mistake done somewhere!

You should talk to someone about this and get it fixed.

Recieving the wrong guitar is completely unacceptable!

Musician's friend and Guitar Center will screw you over real quick if your not careful.

I actually don't like companies like Sweetwater either, because they know the serial number of the guitar they send you, as well as personal information about you.

I don't want people to know the serial numbers of the guitars that I own.

I personally would rather buy a guitar new in a box, because it is more discreet that way.

If I buy a new guitar that I don't like I return it.

I buy from which ever company has the cheapest prices and don't worry about things.

I may have a rather strange way of doing business, but I don't have problems.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate ordeal!!

:lol:

I am torn - while it blows hard you got sent a guitar you did not order, but if I'm reading it right, they sent you the more expensive SG with the pricier pups and rosewood fretbrd? If this were me, I would keep it as a "mistake = win" (that's ME tho, not at all giving advice or suggesting anything). I do see your point very well though. I hope you get the guitar you want without any further hassle.

+1.

Archived