Gibson Brands Forums

KISS

kaleb

The poll says it all.

I chose option #4. I love all eras of the band (just for the music and the show, not the merchandising gimmicks they have been doing since 1976), but I just can't dig the new "KISS". I think Tommy Thayer has absolutely no integrity and is just a poser. I am disappointed in Eric Singer for wearing the Cat paint. I think KISS should take off the makeup and bring Bruce Kulick back in. A reunion of the Revenge-era band.

I also gotta say that I don't care for the merchandising and I think them taking part in that stuff turned them into a joke. I like the comics and the Bally pinball machine, but that's about it. Making toys for little kids and shallow teeny-bopper songs ("Christine Sixteen", "Ladies Room", "I Was Made For Loving You", "Beth" for example. And 75% of Unmasked) converted them from being a "dangerous" theatrical rock band that parents loathed to a family-friendly circus act. And the Spaceman hated it.

I would have chose option 5 (cause I'm a Rock Soldier at heart!), but I'm not part of the league that stopped listening when Ace left.

Now for Pt 2...

What do YOU think the BEST KISS album is and WORST KISS album is?

The best for me? Alive! man! Or Creatures Of The Night for non-Ace KISS.

The worst? That's a tough one. I'll have to say Psycho Circus.

Ah haaa! was wondering when you'd put up a Kiss pole! Love the band just not a merchandise kind of guy. The only time I seen them (1989) some one gave me the ticket and I had no money for a shirt. I usually get a shirt when I go see a big time act that I like a lot, that's about as far as I'll go for merch but I do understand that its a business so money has to be made from every way possible.

I am the weirdo I guess. I have loved KISS since the early 80's when I first saw them on the "unmasked" tour with W.A.S.P. I have seen them 6-7 times over the years, wish I could have seen them more. Always a fun show. Whether you like the music or not, you have to admit they found their niche, actually by doing a little of everything (even some Disco). They found things that worked and rode it as hard as they could.

I don't own any merch or collectibles, but it is fun to see them live. Paul is every cliche you can think of for a lead singer, but that is Paul. Listening to the bootleg album of nothing but his live between songs banter is painful because it is so cheesy. But at the show it makes the crowd go crazy.

It is not great music, but it is fun.

And just to seal my doom. I think they should be in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. The longevity, sales, and the recognizabily of KISS worldwide should earn them a spot.

Now that I have killed all of my credibility for all time, let the flaming begin. :^P

Regardless of whether you like them or not, how could you not get them?

I mean, it is simple, catchy music. Simple, catchy lyrics. A show designed to give the audience a good time. What's so hard to understand? I don't care for the merchandising stuff they do, but I get it. Their image sells. They're the rock n' roll superheros of society.

Now, I think Gene Simmons is an arrogant egomaniac (and he's admitted it!), and I don't like today's KISS (their new record is kinda good), but Paul Stanley seems like a nice honest guy.

But I think everyone knows that no one in the KISS family has as much swagger and coolness than Ace @#$%n Frehley!

BTW, if I wanna hear good lyrics I'll put on some Rush or Thin Lizzy. It's only rock n' roll. You can't take it too seriously. The stupid critics and the idiots at Rolling Stone take it too seriously.

Well for me there is a category missing.

"Loved them as a kid, don't listen to them much anymore" - would get my vote.

So I will have to vote "I like them, but only the original line up".

I cut my teeth on Kiss. Along with Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath. Who were really my 2 favorites but

never got to see them live. Well I saw Alice but not until way later.

But Kiss was the first real rock concert I saw.

It was 1977 - the Love Gun tour.

I was 16. And they frickin blew my mind.

I was as big a Kiss fan you could get and to see them live was like the best thing you could imagine happening to a 16 yr old kid.

They were in their prime, the fire, the tongue, the spitting blood, the drum kit rising to the roof.

They frickin blew my mind.

So ya,, I had a time in my life when Kiss was a God. But so was Alice and Sabbath, who to this day I still like more,, sorry :)

I still appreciate the nostalgia of hearing them, but I don't spin them.

Favorite album?

Pretty much everything right up until Dynasty. If I had to pick it would be hard.

Alive is an easy pick mostly cuz it's a "best of".

After that it would probly be Dressed to Kill,, and Hotter Than Hell, but how could I leave out Love Gun and Destroyer. What can I say,, all those albums got alot of air time in my circle of friends at that time.

They were a huge part of my life in my youth. Just not so much these days.

Maybe I should give them another listen.

Seeing as how they put their name on everything, they should do KISS fireworks! Who cares if Gene gets in trouble!

Ace Frehley signature bottle rockets, sparklers and smoke bombs, Peter Criss Black Cats, Gene Simmons Artillery Shells, and Paul Stanley roman candles (they could call those the Love Guns!)!

Check the new album. It sounds closer to old KISS than anything over the last 20+ years.

I've heard some of it. It's pretty good. I still don't care for Tommy's playing (I'll admit that I'm a little biased against him being an Ace nut and all. It's just hard seeing someone else in that makeup. It hurts), but he did a good job with the songwriting. Has was always the case with me, the drummer once again has my favorite voice in the band (Peter always was my favorite vocal wise, and I loved Eric Carr's voice). It's a big leap from Sonic Boom. And I really like the production. They use tape decks and an old Trident board rather than Pro Tools. I still think they're a joke nowadays, but they can still play. But some of those tunes really could have used Ace or Bruce on guitar. I realize that Tommy is important for his KISS knowledge (and the fact that he has his head stuck so far up Gene's a$$), but if they cared more about the music, he'd still be a road manager. That's just my opinion. Eric Singer kicks butt as usual. But I still think Anomaly was better. If only Ace would pair up with a great singer (or just invite Richie Scarlet back in the band and have him sing). His "singing" holds his music back.

Anyone else think this sounds like a new, Southern-fried version of "Mr. Speed"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBsy-r7UyuE

I didn't care for them back then, feel the same about them now.

In the mid-60s, Peter Criss was almost in Mountain. But Leslie West put him on salary instead of splitting it even (which KISS did up until he was fired in 1980) so he threw a fit (classic Peter!) and left.

I thought that would be an interesting tidbit.

Original lineup. Outside of the junior highish lyrics, the first three albums are great!

Those first three plus Alive! are my idea of KISS.

Four guys (two nice Jewish boys and a couple of party animals) from NYC in a theatrical rock band that parents and conservative religious groups called "Knights In Satan Service". Before there was KISS comics, lunchboxes, and "Beth". When they actually used the Marshall amps you saw onstage.

Gene Simmons to me seems like he would do anything to make a buck.

Hence, all of the merchandise. Seriously, they have Kiss everything!

I have never really liked Kiss's music.

Neither can I really understand the makeup, costumes, or stage acts.

KISS had an influence on the "Grunge" scene. Kurt Cobain and Dave Grohl loved KISS growing up. Mike McCready of Pearl Jam cites Ace as one of his biggest influences (and copies Ace's lead in "She" in the PJ song "Alive". Ace actually got that lick from Robby Krieger of The Doors in the song "Five To One"). Ace influenced Slash as well (and has since befriended both he and McCready).

The Melvins have covered "Goin' Blind" and "Detroit Rock City".

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmX_7B8c-ww

I haven't listen to any new KISS since Psycho Circus. I have LPs, 45's, 8-tracks, cassettes, and CDs of almost every album up to PC. One of the first songs I learned was Strutter, and after that was Lick It Up. I believe Bruce Kulick was the most articulate guitarist they had. Vinnie and Mark St. John were shedders, they didn't fit at all. Ace, well what can I say, he was the best entertainer. His licks are easy to copy, but he is the originator of all those licks, and I give him lots of respect. My favorite years were when Bruce was in the band. They were headed in a good direction with Revenge. Getting out of the 80s hair metal, and really playing some good Rock and Roll.

But you gotta remember, Gene stated "We not musicians, we are entertainers". I seen them twice in concert. Both times with Bruce and Eric Carr. Outstanding shows. I love their music, but could care less for the merchandise.

I haven't listen to any new KISS since Psycho Circus. I have LPs, 45's, 8-tracks, cassettes, and CDs of almost every album up to PC. One of the first songs I learned was Strutter, and after that was Lick It Up. I believe Bruce Kulick was the most articulate guitarist they had. Vinnie and Mark St. John were shedders, they didn't fit at all. Ace, well what can I say, he was the best entertainer. His licks are easy to copy, but he is the originator of all those licks, and I give him lots of respect. My favorite years were when Bruce was in the band. They were headed in a good direction with Revenge. Getting out of the 80s hair metal, and really playing some good Rock and Roll.

But you gotta remember, Gene stated "We not musicians, we are entertainers". I seen them twice in concert. Both times with Bruce and Eric Carr. Outstanding shows. I love their music, but could care less for the merchandise.

Bruce can play with the best of em' IMHO. He's a true guitar player, not a "rock star".

Ace may not be the fastest or most technically able, but you can't improve on what he did. Just like George Harrison. The melodies are there. Ace can rip if he wants to though. He would cut loose a lot in his 80s stuff. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWJB3HhjCHo

Most overrated band ever. I think Paul Stanley is a pretty cool guy, and it would be interesting to think what he could do with a real band...artistically speaking, of course.

I can agree, but I don't think "overrated" is the right word, considering critics hate them.

Paul is cool. I think he's a good rhythm player. Although their legacies are built on KISS, I feel both he and Ace deserved a better band to be in. After all, those two are the reason KISS sounded half-*** decent, and their solo albums were the only good ones. They made a good team, I gotta say. Peter was a good drummer, but not a real hard rock drummer. His playing always made them sound like a garage band.

Gene's an entertainer. If he hadn't met Stanley, he would have found another way to be a rich entertainer. Paul and Ace could do great things together. It's not too late. Paul could jump ship before KISS becomes even a bigger joke. Hell, Ace did it 30 years ago.

I dig their music. It's not great music. It's pretty garage-band sounding, but that's why I like it (I am talking about the real early stuff). They were better, musically, during the 80s and 90s IMHO. Needless to say, I prefer Ace solo over anything else KISS-related.

As far as Stanley goes, you might wanna check out his first solo album from 1978 or his 2006 album Live To Win.

I should also add that I "met" Gene Simmons once a couple of years ago: He spit at me, laughed, and that was it.

What an a$$hole. That's terrible. The only people he's nice to are the people that kiss his a$$ (Tommy Thayer) and the people that give him their money (the KISS Army). He and Paul Stanley don't get along as well as people think. Gene is in it for the cash and the brand. Paul cares about the band itself. I actually think he's embarrassed, but tries to make the best of it.

No wonder Ace doesn't wanna be in the band!

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRNvbp_UJV8&feature=related

It delights me to know that he understands that the whole KISS phenomenon was a goof. Gene may be part of the business brains behind KISS, but Ace has common sense. And I'm a fan of the old stuff.

As far as people whining that he's not in the band (or, more appropriately, working as an employee for the machine), it's been 10 years and he doesn't wanna play dress up and play the same old tired songs in the same old nostalgia act. He's an artist, and frankly, being in KISS is not for artists as much anymore. So what if he ain't selling out arenas anymore! Who wants to! Unless they are pure entertainment, like the Demon....

Archived