Gibson Brands Forums

is the economy bringing down prices?

Gibson Artist

Went to Musicians Friend today and looked around. Ive been kind of in a depression because i had to sell my les paul and my hollowbody to buy a new bed and sofa and i was pleasantly surprised to see lower prices on many Gibson models! The Satin models even were in the 600ish range and even have burstbucker pro humbuckers which if im not mistaken is in the much more expensive models no?

I was wondering if this is just a nice deal they cut with that company or are Gibson's prices being slashed in several places because of the economy being so tough the last couple of years? Odd, because even in the bad economy Gibson raised their prices so i assumed sales were still very strong. Are they? These are of course, luxury items :)

Hi there, Epiphone Artist.

A lot of it, I assume has to do with the economy in bad shape and lawsuits on wood used in Gibson manufacturing.

If you notice all of the new affordable priced Gibson guitars use a new baked maple fretboard.

Gibson can only use selected woods and are limited to more exotic woods such as ebony and rosewood.

Gibson is one of the superior companies in guitar manufacturing and production.

I believe that Gibson is doing this mainly to compete with rival companies in a tough economy.

Yea those lawsuits were crazy and my martin d16rgt has indian rosewood, hope that isnt illegal, wouldnt wanna do time because i play crosby stills and nash rofl.

Im very tempted to get one of those Satin Les Pauls with the Burstbucker pro pickups.

Musicians Friend... I've got'n a lot of gear from them over the years and there always seems to be something wrong with it and they have always had very low price's as long as I've known about them back in the early 1990's. I'd never buy a guitar on-line or by mail order but other thing's is not a problem, MF seems to me to have gear that is factory 2nd or something. I do know for a fact that high-end audio companies will grade there hand made gear as it come's off the assembly line. I'd be willing to bet that MF don't get the "AAA" grade stuff. I'm not condemning them as it's a good place for budget minded consumer's to get use-able gear, I'd just rather buy from a select shop.

Many of the price cuts are on last years model and they want to get rid of that inventory. Another part has to do with them changing to cheaper tonewoods or in some cases like Richlite which is not wood at all. Most of this IMO is of Gibsons own doing by importing and mislabellig wood so they can circumvent some of the legal mumbo jumbo.

Instant Karma is Gonna Get You- John Lennon.

Still I think their QC is for the most part, considering how many guitars they manufacture, better than ever. The more expensive the instrument the more scrutiny it goes through. My 2012 Standard + is flawless and one of the best electric guitars I have ever owned.

Martin recently raised prices despite a slow econemy. They do not want to compromize the quality of their Standard and beter series guitars so if you want that wood you have to pay for it. My HD-28V is also flawless and sounds like an angel singing.

Two different demographics and two different approaches to making quality instuments. The dealer you purchase the instrument from has a lot to do with the initial quality. They should be checking and tweaking the guitar before they sell it to you. More kids buy Gibson electrica and they don't know squat relatively speaking. The dealer gets away with it. Expensive acoustics on the other hand are purchased by older and more experienced players. Just an opinion based on personal observation.

Am I making any sense or maybe have had too much to drink?

A think that MF has to sell what they claim they are selling. The new Les Paul Standard comes with a AAA top. Although this is subjective once can clearly argue when they don't receive a AAA top. BTW, that guitar is selling for the same price what other retailers sell it.

I think that all companies have plenty of room to "negotiate" their prices and still make a profit. Every mom and pop guitar store I know will negotiate. I got great deals on all my guitars.

They maybe trying to clear some inventory now that Gibsons issues with the government are sorted out.

At the same time I see that some Fender and Gretsch guitars came down in price, not on sale but rather price adjustment.

Thing is that buying a guitar is a luxury for a lot of folks in a slow economy.

Musicians Friend... I've got'n a lot of gear from them over the years and there always seems to be something wrong with it and they have always had very low price's as long as I've known about them back in the early 1990's. I'd never buy a guitar on-line or by mail order but other thing's is not a problem, MF seems to me to have gear that is factory 2nd or something. I do know for a fact that high-end audio companies will grade there hand made gear as it come's off the assembly line. I'd be willing to bet that MF don't get the "AAA" grade stuff. I'm not condemning them as it's a good place for budget minded consumer's to get use-able gear, I'd just rather buy from a select shop.

I bought a mim tele and a martin d16-rgt both from MF and both were pure flawless right out of the box. The Epiphone i bought from them needed a setup but my point is ive not had any issues. The martin was so perfect for only 1200 i was amazed at how incredible the sound was even with the factory strings.

Until i have a bad experience i'll still consider them and sweetwater and american musical supply.

Archived