Gibson Brands Forums

Faulty Wire in an SG

burdger

So I'm having trouble with my bridge pickup in my SG. I took it apart today to see if I could noticed anything odd. I saw nothing. I started playing it a bit with the back cover off, and noticed that the bridge pickup was working just fine, so I thought I accidentally fixed something. Put the cover back on, and it didn't work anymore... grr. So I took the back cover back off and started fiddling with the wires as I strummed and noticed that I have a short in one of the wires. I'm going to go to Radio Shack tomorrow and wanted to know if there is any specific type of wire I should look to get to replace it. Here is a picture of the guts of my guitar with the faulty wire circled in orange.

ABFB19A3-C60E-4B88-3BB2DBA2614ACA38.png

I haven't been to the Rat Shack in a long time, and I don't know what they have and how they label it lately. Also, don't remember what the "common" gauge they use in the Gibsons is, but even if I did, they could have changed.

Anyway, with such a small run, it likely won't make much difference in sound. Anything 20 to 26 gauge would be fine. Some get the idea using a fatter wire will improve it- it won't.

If you have a choice, teflon or polypropylene or polyethylene are better than PVC, I say that mainly because PVC melts fast. Again, no big deal. (Please forgive my spelling of the "poly" types).

And obviously, copper is better than steel. Solders easier and sounds better. Tinned copper is what they used in "vintage", it's usually easier to work with. Tinned copper isn't a big deal.

"hook up wire" or "audio wire" is what they used to call it. Don't get "magnet wire".

This may be too much to remember, but basically, just remember the very small run here won't change the sound or make much difference. Just get what looks easy to work with and looks right.

Thank you very much. I didn't think it would matter too much, but after reading a lot on these boards, it seems like there are very specific parts even for minor fixes that people say you SHOULD use on a Gibson. I'm glad this isn't one of those cases.

So I replaced the wire, but that doesn't seem to be the real problem. I have a strong suspicion that the capacitor is bad on that side. The bridge pickup likes to cut out, but if I play with that cap, it will come back in. I think when I thought that wire was the issue, I with it, but bumping the cap wire. Anyone know exactly what kind of cap I should buy and the best place to get it?

Archived