Gibson Brands Forums

HSBC UK online warning

Rabs

So I use HSBC for my bank.. I often check my balance online...

Last night the site wasnt working.. It seemed to be down and the page would just hang on a blank screen when I tried to go there...

So today I tried it again and it was working BUT my virus software was flagging it as potentially hostile... So i was a bit warey about putting my details in.. So I called them and the guy I spoke to was like " yeah please dont try to use the online site as we had a virus problem " :o

So I said well shouldnt you warn people as if you have a virus you may be either infecting other customers PCs or worse the site may be giving out peoples log on details.

His reply was we are doing everything we can to get it back. But dont use it till at least tomorrow.

So UK users be warned.. And I guess its a story to keep in your mind if you see the same thing with your online bank..

Bloody aweful though.. Id imagine they arent saying anything to keep it out of the press..

Yes a timely warning about the fallibility of 'secure' systems, websites etc...

Bankers have such a poor press in general for the foreseeable future

I get the usual regular online advice/warnings to beware scam e-mails

As in times of yore (pre-net), there are fraudsters working away to compromise banks' security...

V

:-({|=

Guest Farnsbarns

So I use HSBC for my bank.. I often check my balance online...

Last night the site wasnt working.. It seemed to be down and the page would just hang on a blank screen when I tried to go there...

So today I tried it again and it was working BUT my virus software was flagging it as potentially hostile... So i was a bit warey about putting my details in.. So I called them and the guy I spoke to was like " yeah please dont try to use the online site as we had a virus problem " :o

So I said well shouldnt you warn people as if you have a virus you may be either infecting other customers PCs or worse the site may be giving out peoples log on details.

His reply was we are doing everything we can to get it back. But dont use it till at least tomorrow.

So UK users be warned.. And I guess its a story to keep in your mind if you see the same thing with your online bank..

Bloody aweful though.. Id imagine they arent saying anything to keep it out of the press..

WHAT? They've put their site live knowing it is hosting a virus. Nice!

WHAT? They've put their site live knowing it is hosting a virus. Nice!

Yup... its wrong isnt it...

At least it shows my Virus software works :)

But god knows what happens to people who put their account information in.

Here we go again...

But with another pet peeve of mine. Not only do large public and private institutions end up with huge bureaucratic overhead, one really interesting thing is the decrease in professional public relations.

A PR pro in this case might even push to the point of getting fired by the "don't make waves" bureaucrats who think if they're quiet, it'll all go away.

Sheesh.

I know at a certain point in time the "PR" profession has gotten a bad rap. But if you look at the stupidity I've seen increasing over the past 50 years and the lack of what I'd consider professionalism, it's a sad tale that at the end of the day benefits nobody.

Of course, the fact that increasingly nowadays the media news folks let them get away with it because they don't have time or political inclination to do otherwise adds to the problem.

In fact - laugh at this if you will, I think a percentage of our political polarization comes to a large extent because the partisan "Public information" types aint' all that good at it, so then a large percentage of the public simply repeats catch phrases and talking points on their own "side" regardless of logical argument for or against.

m

Archived