Gibson Brands Forums

Thom Yorke on his Hummingbird

seanp33

Never seen it, thanx for posting. Like the sound a lot - more than the somewhat cathartic performance, which is okay, but does less for me.

Another good argument for re-trying the ceramic on the 1963 SJ.

But every time I pick it up to do so, the DR Sunbeams 12-54's put on the 15th of June, sound so good that can't bear to interfere.

One of those examples where strings and guitar grow together in symbiosis.

Might keep the strings on and do the saddle switch tonite - I'm in the mood and carry slightly hangovers from yesterdays Stones event. . .

Its interesting how close he strums to the brige, almost on the bridge itself ! He does it on all three videos. I wonder if he does that deliberately to get that brighter, tighter tone or just played that way all his life and is probably not even aware ?

The Clock, Fake Plastic Trees then I might be wrong

Good band, Johnny G is a great player / composer too, but only so much I can take of Thom's voice and his "googly eye" (Cheers Liam Gallagher) in a single sitting. Seems to be one of those bands where people feel wrong not to champion them, I must admit some of the tracks from the last 3 albums have been more interesting compositionally than they have been enjoyable listening fodder. In saying that, wicked live act and cool back catalogue (if a bit poloneck'ish in some quarters)

Its interesting how close he strums to the brige, almost on the bridge itself ! He does it on all three videos. I wonder if he does that deliberately to get that brighter, tighter tone or just played that way all his life and is probably not even aware ?

Strumming close to the bridge does produce a brighter tone but it also provides better control. Near the bridge the string excursion is very small. The short excursion allows for better pick-to-string control that becomes more important when using quick, up and down strum patterns (8th note, 16th note.....I dunno...). The strings recover and return to their starting positions much faster near the bridge making finer control of the pick possible.

Archived