Gibson Brands Forums

1963 Block reissue ES335

barry2001

there are still 5 backorders in front of you' date=' even with the ones that have come through this month. so hang tight...it shouldn't be too much longer.[/quote']

Are the orders in front of mine, single guitars or big orders for several pieces of the model ? :-k

barry' date='

seriously, i can't give you any more information than i already have. these guitars run pretty regularly, and as soon as the 5 backorders in front of you get filled, you will get your guitar. thanks for your patience.[/quote']

Thanks for all the info . Wanted to commend you on the forum . Sure is nice to have a place to get your questions answered accurately and in a timely manner . I for one really appreciate it as i do all my Gibson guitars !

When is Gibson going to get the horns on this model correct? ?the `63 still has the mickey Mouse ears that the `58/`59's have. Real `63's had more narrow, pointed horns... The bodies for the limited Clapton "Crossroads" ES-335 were right, but those bodies were made in Japan by Terada and shipped to Nashville. Seems odd that Terada can make the right ones but Custom can't..

When is Gibson going to get the horns on this model correct? ?the `63 still has the mickey Mouse ears that the `58/`59's have. Real `63's had more narrow' date=' pointed horns... The bodies for the limited Clapton "Crossroads" ES-335 were right, but those bodies were made in Japan by Terada and shipped to Nashville. Seems odd that Terada can make the right ones but Custom can't..[/quote']

I thought those Clapton bodies were from Japan! I was telling someone that the other day and they thought it couldn't be true. But I swore it was.

I have a USA assembled (Japanese body and neck) Epiphone Sheraton from 2005 (the same year as the Claptons were built/assembled in Nashville). The body construction is IDENTICAL to the Clapton Crossroads model. Body shape, horns, everything. The biggest giveaway was the construction of the center block. I compared my Sheraton directly with a Clapton model a few months back.

All USA manufactured ES-335's, whether Memphis, Nashville, Custom Shop, Historic, Signature... all of them, the center block is not flush with the braces on the top and back. In the Clapton model, and the Japanese ES bodies, this center block is flush with the braces. This was the giveaway. No one at Gibson probably expected people to compare Claptons with Epiphones.

And when folks question why Gibson got the shape so wrong (compared to the original) this is why! A Japanese ES style body was used, while more similar to a true 1964 shape, is not quite exact.

And isn't it curious that Gibson/Epiphone did an odd run of "Asembled in the USA" Sheraton II's also in 2005. Must have been left over bodies at the factory from the Clapton order with Japan.

Archived