Gibson Brands Forums

One more thread and I promise I'll shut up

ksdaddy

So you sanded all the stickers off to the wood?

Yeah pretty much no choice there. Some were "just stickers" but much of it was random pics glued on and then varnished. I peeled what I could, then had to use lacquer thinner and steel wool and one bodacious degree of elbow grease... on the stickers anyway. The "faded" finish washed off with no fight whatsoever.

Is it just bare wood now or did you put some kind of protectant on it after you sanded it?

I wiped on one (or two?) coats of danish oil, which doesn't add much since you rub it in like gunstock oil. I then wiped on one or two coats of Minwax wipe-on Poly, which is somewhat sacreligious to put poly on a Gibson BUT I then steel wooled it, pretty much taking off most everything that may have been on the surface, then buffed the snot out of it with a liberal application of Minwax finishing wax... I slathered the wax on and then got it good and hot with a sheepskin type buffer pad attached to a Makita angle drill and some pretty intense pressure, calling it both loving names and derogatory names simultaneously. I could have charged $3.99/minute.

So really while there is technically a finish on it, if you held it in your hands you'd think it was bare wood that happened to be really smooth... think of a well handled wooden handrail or shifter knob.

Archived