Gibson Brands Forums

If all Gibson acoustics suddenly vapourised ....what would you play ?

EuroAussie

I have to admit Im stealing this thread idea from a guy on the AGF, which I thought was an interesting way of looking at what is people's second favourite brand.

So, imagine its Dec 21st 2012, the day the world is supposed to end, but nothing changes ....except by some miracle all Gibson acoustics just vapourise, and there is no way of building more ..... what would you play ?

Personally my Furch and 00-15 would get a lot of play, and I probably would get a well played in Martin D-18, and most likely a Collings rosewood dread.

Then a guild F-50 to get some of that J-200 vibe and finally make a trip to the US to John Greven to make me a Gibson that sounds better than Gibson.

What about you ..... what would you play if all Gibsons vanished from the planet ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go straight to my Martin HD-28V, get a HD-28 and start searching for a superb ex. of the D-18 family. Then I'd definitely go for Colling models and try to become a minor expert there.

At the same time look out for scalloped Guilds and keep an open eye on different Santa Cruz's.

The rest of my time and energy would be used on miscellaneous f.x. a vintage Yamaha leather patched FG-2000 and of course sniff anything from the reign of Master Ren.

Check out jrplefty's avatar - funnyz

SCGC, H&D, Collings would probably be what I looked at..... Not so much the froggy's, can't have a guitar with the word 'bottom' in the name, it's not right!

I guess ****z guitars would not be an option either PM ... ?

http://www.****z-guitars.info/en/

Oops, looks like its been blocked, but it starts with c and ends with an s, ill let you work out the other two letters ... :rolleyes:

I'll bet nobody posts "A Paul Fox Burst" on this thread....... :D

[laugh] no doubt about that

No Gibsons.......I guess I would be back in the D28 camp. I'd like the Martin custom shop to build me a plain Jane standard D28 with HD28V bracing. I don't care much for the V neck or snowflake inlays. Herringbone trim either to be honest. I've actually been seriously considering calling and pricing one. Maybe it wouldn't be to bad since it would just be a plain D28 with upgraded bracing

At least in the short run, I'd pull out my 000-28 EC until the mushroom cloud cleared.

In the long run, I would look at vintage Martins and modern H&D, for starters.

I'm assuming my Gibson ES-335's were not vaporised in the rapture, and that I at least still have those......

Probably my $100 '98 Seagull. It has the Gibson thump but it's cheap and plentiful. I should try some other Seagulls to see if they're all like this or if mine's a fluke.

!!!! Ok I thought it was just my luck but totally agree...my Seagull also gives the other acoustics a run for the money, a fantastic sound for a ridiculously low price...and then there's the Westerly built Guild JF55 about to darken my doorway with its presence...

!!!! Ok I thought it was just my luck but totally agree...my Seagull also gives the other acoustics a run for the money, a fantastic sound for a ridiculously low price...and then there's the Westerly built Guild JF55 about to darken my doorway with its presence...

ooh !

i know its a gibson site but will we get pics and soundclips from the guild ?

1930 017

DSC01115.jpg

Rob, I saw one of these (same period) last week at Ross Teigen's that had a subtle, original SUNBURST finish on the top, sides, back, and neck. Although it was fairly muted due to the all-mahogany construction and fairly large amount of wear on the guitar, it was unusual, to say the least. It was so subtle that it didn't even register with me at first.

Archived