Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom made Guitar for me

Why would you want it with an inferior finishing technique? I know poly is durable, but hell you're literally spraying plastic on the guitar.

Agreed. They used Poly because it was cheaper.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy that said guitar new or used and...get it refinished by a pro?

Hey forum I contacted Gibson about having a custom made Firebird V.

I was wanting the specs of this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DSF10VSCH/

With a Poly finish instead of Nitro finish.

I doubt Gibson will make it first of all...

Second thing is it would cost me a ton of money if they did.

I may have to wait awhile on the order because Gibson isn't currently taking special orders.

I really hope this can be done!

Good luck Grunge, i hope you can get the axe you want the way you want it. Afterall, it is YOUR money so whatever anyone else thinks is irrelevant and if you can get the specs you want i say go for it.

I don't think Gibson has a can of poly in stock.

Exactly...they pride themselves in using ONLY Nitro, which they have since...well, since they started making guitars. They won't tarnish their name by spraying some cheap plastic finish on their instruments, even one.

Guest Farnsbarns

Exactly...they pride themselves in using ONLY Nitro, which they have since...well, since they started making guitars. They won't tarnish their name by spraying some cheap plastic finish on their instruments, even one.

Not true. Gibson has used poly finishes in the 70s and nineties, most notably on the LP special SL (sans lacquer) where a UV cured poly laquer was used.

I think Gibson would quote for that if they were taking orders, just a waiting game.

Before anyone makes make wild assumptions of the merits of one finish over the other I think it would be a good idea to do a little research and not just base your opinion on what some other uninformed person told you.

PRS, among other high quality brands, use poly. Ever wonder why?

Before anyone makes make wild assumptions of the merits of one finish over the other I think it would be a good idea to do a little research and not just base your opinion on what some other uninformed person told you.

Because they are cheap.

Okay.

But we're not discussing a PRS we're talking about Ludzies Firebird.

You are right. Gibson is probably not set up to do proper poly finishes. I am not knocking them for that it's just not what they do.

I personally like a nitro finish because it gets thinner with age, yellows, is more prone to dings and scratches, and is more easily cracked. I am not being sarcastic I just like it when a guitar gets old and looks old too. Poly will always look new.

The tonal difference, if any, is not a significant factor.

You are right. Gibson is probably not set up to do proper poly finishes. I am not knocking them for that it's just not what they do.

I personally like a nitro finish because it gets thinner with age, yellows, is more prone to dings and scratches, and is more easily cracked. I am not being sarcastic I just like it when a guitar gets old and looks old too. Poly will always look new.

The tonal difference, if any, is not a significant factor.

Not to mention Nitro is easier to repair, since it melts into itself easily.

If we pay attention... All of Pauls, high end models come in a " V12 "finish. I believe that only his SE lines are a full poly coat.

Archived