Gibson Brands Forums

played a really nice custom shop j-45

Guest J-Doug

Over the past month I've been trying out a J-45CS (custom shop 60's style with large pickguard and a heritage cherry sunburst) locally. Very, very nice sound and a really looker. OMG I want it.

The only information on the web I have been able to find is this: Gibson Custom J-45 CS

Anybody seen one of these before?

Now I just have to convince my wife... :(

The specs appear to be those of a standard J-45, with the differences being the tuners, pickguard, and a top 'burst that looks a lot like a faded cherryburst from the mid-1960's. It should certainly cost no more than a standard J-45, as these appear to be the only "custom" characteristics.

Interestingly, as I recall, many of these (the originals) had a cherry stain on the back and sides as well.

It's about $250 more than a standard J-45. It doesn't have cherry back and sides. Normal dark stain on the b/s but with a bursted neck.

It's about $250 more than a standard J-45. It doesn't have cherry back and sides. Normal dark stain on the b/s but with a bursted neck.

It's all about whether the aesthetics are worth the extra $250 to you. You aren't getting any instrument upgrades that I can see, but the specs are incomplete. It's not listed on the Gibson website now, so it's hard to compare.

You see a decent number of vintage versions of these at fairly reasonable prices, since many have the adj bridge and narrow nut, which makes them less desirable to a lot of people.

I would think of the Kluson-type tuners as an upgrade over the Rotomatics, and same goes for bone nut/saddle instead of graphtech (going by appearances), but those upgrades are largely aesthetic as well, and probably don't represent $250 worth of upgrades if you were to do them yourself. My Japanese isn't so good, so there may be other upgrades I'm missing....

Either way, I think it's a spectacular guitar.

I do prefer Kluson style tuners to the Grovers. And the bone nut and saddle are a bonus. And I love the burst. Worth $250? I dunno but I like it!

Nice guitar.

ギブソン・アコースティックよりショップオーダー品、J-45 Custom CS。チェリーサンバーストカラーボディ、ギブソンのロゴ入りのホワイトのラージ・ピックガード、クルーソンタイプの3連糸巻きなど、1960年代の仕様をベースにカスタム。60年代仕様では、アジャスタブルブリッジが採用されておりましたが、本器は通常のブリッジサドルを採用し、歯切れの良い、きらびやかなアジャスタブルブリッジとは異なり、深い響きが得られる仕様になっております。こちらの商品は入荷本数の少ないスポット希少品ですので、是非お早めに。 [lol]

Archived