Gibson Brands Forums

Advice wanted: I am going to re-paint a guitar

Elmer

Hi all you handy people.

A friend of mine his first guitar is a Yamaha. It is all beaten up, and needs a few repairs (just check the pups and the setup). BUT: it is ugly and I want to make a beauty out of it.

I am pretty handy but never painted a guitar and it must look shiny!

What I already did: removed all parts (ALL)

So now I have a body that can be painted.

What I want to do: sand it, so all previous paint is gone and I have blank wood. I am planning to sand it down from 100 to 200.

Then I want to put a primer on it.

First question: how many layers of primer? Do I need to waterproof sanding (400) between primer layers?

Then I want to swirl it.

I know it has got something to do with borax in the water and special paint (enamel paint).

Any of you ever did a swirl job?

To swirl it: does that need an other primer?

What kind of paint is used? Is it as I think enamel.

I found some vids on tube but, I rather hear from first hand experience: how much paint, how much borax, where can I find borax etc etc...What is the best way to finish it after the swirl (20 layers varnish?)

All tips and tricks are welcome.

Cheers rabs. I think people use too many different colors...2, 3 max.

Never I read how many paint they use to get a good coverage. Sure, u don't want 5 drops, but I don't think you can poor in too much aswell...I think I goona test this on a few wine crates first :)

Cheers rabs. I think people use too many different colors...2, 3 max.

Never I read how many paint they use to get a good coverage. Sure, u don't want 5 drops, but I don't think you can poor in too much aswell...I think I goona test this on a few wine crates first :)

yeah I agree.. some of the Youtube vids have terrible finishes

Found this too

Steps: remove neck and all hardware from the body. sand paint away to just wood. prime. paint background coat. mount body to a piece of wood. fill 32gal trash can with a bit over 1cup of borax. add Humbrol enamel paint and stir. slowly dip guitar body. add clear coat. reassemble

First question: how many layers of primer? Do I need to waterproof sanding (400) between primer layers?

What is the best way to finish it after the swirl (20 layers varnish?)

IMO:

The number of coats of primer depends almost entirely on how smooth the surface is when you start putting the primer on. Keep wet sanding with 400 grit and recoating until you can sand and there are no more shiny spots, e.g spots below the level of the sandpaper

The finish coat depends on what paint you used for the swirl. Some enamels will react badly to thinners based lacquer clear coats If you're using nitrocellulose or acrylic lacquer, check what happens when you spray a thick coat over a spare bit of wood covered with the enamel you used to do the swirl. Make sure it doesnt react or blister.

Beacuse a swirl is nearly impossible to retouch if you sand through it, I'd put on at least 5 coats of clear before you think about sanding. DO NOT SAND THE EDGES UNTIL YOUR FINAL COAT - it's so easy to cut through and edge and expose the primer. Sand the laquer coats with 600 to start with, then 1000.

The way you do the final coat depends on circumstances. If you have a pretty clean enviroment ( e.g very little dust and crap appearing in the final coat), you can probably let it dry for a couple of weeks, then use something like Maguires mirriror glaze to polish out any imperfections.

If you've got a lot of dust and crap on the ffinal coat, don't dispair. Let it dry two weeks, the sand the entire body with 1500 grit until the shine is gone, then polish it back to a shine with Maguires or similar. This is a time consuming process, but will produce pro-looking results.

Can't wait to watch the video of the swirl. You will make a video, won't you!

I will ask my son to film it with the Ipad (I don't own a camera)...

I am still sanding now, I want the under ground perfect.

I have the borax, and the inkt, I made a test yesterday with a piece of wine crate...I have an idea now how it works...but I am going to do many tests before I do the real thing...I have a very cheap old accoustic, I am going to test on that too, so I have an idea on how many ink I need etc (don't worrie it is realy piece of **** guitar, and I will close the sound hole ..lolol)

• 3 weeks later...

yep yep, I did my first swirl, it looked ok but it had some thick ugly dripping paint spots...I tried to sand it of but I could not get ik ok, so I sanded it all off again.

Now I painted it yellow and used an other technique. I filled my bucket with water and did a little white spirit in it and then some drops of ferrari red an traffic orange, now the guitar looks like it was tortured, slashed, bleeding...it looks terrible cool.

I post a picture soon, only the body yet.

For the first swirhl I made a video...but I saw it and it is so clear. The second one I did on my own no one to help me, so no vid.

BUT, I can give one good trick: if you going to do this, drive a screw in the body (there where the screw of ur belt buckle is) so when u push your guitar under water, you dont touch the bottom of the bucket but you can lean on the long screw.

I post a picture later on. Now working on the neck and started to clear paint the body. 25 layers each with an interval of 24 hours :)

Guest Farnsbarns

yep yep, I did my first swirl, it looked ok but it had some thick ugly dripping paint spots...I tried to sand it of but I could not get ik ok, so I sanded it all off again.

Now I painted it yellow and used an other technique. I filled my bucket with water and did a little white spirit in it and then some drops of ferrari red an traffic orange, now the guitar looks like it was tortured, slashed, bleeding...it looks terrible cool.

I post a picture soon, only the body yet.

For the first swirhl I made a video...but I saw it and it is so clear. The second one I did on my own no one to help me, so no vid.

BUT, I can give one good trick: if you going to do this, drive a screw in the body (there where the screw of ur belt buckle is) so when u push your guitar under water, you dont touch the bottom of the bucket but you can lean on the long screw.

I post a picture later on. Now working on the neck and started to clear paint the body. 25 layers each with an interval of 24 hours :)

Excellent Elmer. Can't wait so see it.

I am planning to use 25 - 30 layers of clear coat. 3 spray cans.

After 10 coats I want to let it dry for 3 weeks, sand with 1500 water paper and then do the other 15 - 20 coats.

I want to sand after 10 layers because I had a few tiny imperfections, but I don't want to sand on the paint, scared to go thrue it. I guess the imperfections can still be felt after 10 layers, if I sand it to perfection then, the other layers will be "flawless".

Archived