Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Sweet '67 Hummingbird

groovadelic

So I posted recently about my experience with rosewood and bone saddles on my newly acquired '67 Bird. Someone wanted some pic so here are some glam shots. Enjoy!

IMG_5509.jpg

That last one is now my desktop wallpaper!

Nice! I see your '67 doesn't have the screwed-on pickguards that seemed to show about right around then.

Cool!

Fred

Thanks guys - yeah, original pickguard that I had to remove, flatten, and reglue. I can see why Gibson decided to bolt it down, they probably got complaints that the celluloid would shrink and lift.

I have some more pics including the headstock on my work laptop that ill post, but I have decided that the work computer is staying powered off tonight!

Well i realize now

THATS how a Hummingbird pick guard is supposed to look.. aged and fade,,,d's

shes a beaut [thumbup]

Agree - and this thread should be seen as a oppotunity to praise the long gone German panzer paint.

Gone and gone, , , it is right there after 45 years -

Very attractive vintage Bird, love it. Will you get that cracked fixed, it looks pretty significant ?

I did glue it back with hide glue and will put in cleats soon. As far as aesthetics... will probably leave it . Whoever owned it prior did not take care of it and so the lacquer has discolored around it. Just a battle scar now!

Agree - and this thread should be seen as a oppotunity to praise the long gone German panzer paint.

Gone and gone, , , it is right there after 45 years -

Indeed Eminor7

there is also something else about the original guards of these lovely guitars

The dark swirls I have noticed in this and other examples... they give another aspect to the beauty of the whole.

I hold to my idea that its not just the paint that is different from todays guards. My design is gone.. but I actually love the look of my Bird now.... and as stated many a time.. a heavy hand will wear away any paint..Panzer or not

Thom Yorks recent clips being a cool example

lovely example Groove.. can we get a sound clip ?

Yes....What a beaut! I would not change a thing......Xcept...I noticed the binding missing from the 'tail-end' of the fingerboard....Not bad, but would add that 'finished-look' to a gorgious vintage speciman [thumbup]

I knew there was something distracting my eye there..... I too would have this done..and leave the battle scar [thumbup]

Groovadelic says he removed the guard then re affixed... were these dark marks left on the body

Glue residue. Nearly impossible to remove. You see it on many translucent guards, including J-200. Nothing magical, just beads of glue :)

Glue residue. Nearly impossible to remove. You see it on many translucent guards, including J-200. Nothing magical, just beads of glue :)

Thanks,

there is something magical in there for me tho :)..... I wonder if modern examples will age thus ?

A recent post by Eminor7 of a 10 yr old..it seems proto type for the HB TV, this is not the case ?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item416d629411

I know photos can be decieving.... I still think the actual material of the vintage guards are not exactly the same as modern ? or could it be the glue used is differnt and actually makes the guard look darker somehow ?

maybe I'm just missing the fact of what 40 odd years can do ?

I like the black whirls too. Glue or guard, would be fine to know. What I'd also like to know is
whether the sound changed without the guard
. A big issue on these pages some months ago and a theme discussed and disagreed upon here and there on the web. I just put an extra very thin upper guard on my HD-28V and kept it there for 2 days. It stole away the deep E and dampened the A as well (E just more). Was driven a bit mad as I removed those 2 strings in the process and therefore wondered if loosening them and retuning played a role.
Absolutely NO
!

Everything is probably different - wood, finish, glue, plastic.

Here's another old guard with glue beads. Vintage J-200.

haha..well yea

the reason I bring up the fact that I think the modern pg's are not made out of the same material is: I'm sure I read here in one of the many threads on the HB guards that they ARE made out of the same material... and I have pondered on it.

What are they made of... I think someone said a type of cellulose, or am I getting it all wrong?

Wood is wood right? I mean obviously there is more to it than that, but sika spruce whether 1960's or 2012.. is going to have the same molecular make up ..no ?

Nitrocellulose finish.... would this not be the same also ? I mean nitrocellulose is nitrocellulose ..right ? or am I wrong ?

so the glue........ this could be different.. and maybe turns black over 40 years.. if indeed this what the swirls are?

Sorry to question your statement 527.. I mean no disrespect... the swirls on many many examples ..look so much part of the guard and so artistic

I mean is your statement a given fact..or a theory ? It seems like a good reason for the dark magical swishes and swirls.. for sure.

groovadelic didn't answer whether the marks where indeed on the body.. wouldn't you need to completely clean the body to re attach the guard... maybe/does the glue stain the body...?

All I know is you see no glue on the modern examples..only air pockets..which could turn darker over time ......

Hmmmm ????

Archived