Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Sweet '67 Hummingbird

groovadelic

haha..well yea

the reason I bring up the fact that I think the modern pg's are not made out of the same material is: I'm sure I read here in one of the many threads on the HB guards that they ARE made out of the same material... and I have pondered on it.

What are they made of... I think someone said a type of cellulose, or am I getting it all wrong?

Wood is wood right? I mean obviously there is more to it than that, but sika spruce whether 1960's or 2012.. is going to have the same molecular make up ..no ?

Nitrocellulose finish.... would this not be the same also ? I mean nitrocellulose is nitrocellulose ..right ? or am I wrong ?

so the glue........ this could be different.. and maybe turns black over 40 years.. if indeed this what the swirls are?

Sorry to question your statement 527.. I mean no disrespect... the swirls on many many examples ..look so much part of the guard and so artistic

I mean is your statement a given fact..or a theory ? It seems like a good reason for the dark magical swishes and swirls.. for sure.

groovadelic didn't answer whether the marks where indeed on the body.. wouldn't you need to completely clean the body to re attach the guard... maybe/does the glue stain the body...?

All I know is you see no glue on the modern examples..only air pockets..which could turn darker over time ......

Hmmmm ????

I removed the guard and cleaned off the old gunk off both the guard and the body before glueing it back (with tacky spray glue). The swirl is in the pickguard and the color is a brownish red. They are not red and not nearly as transparent as the TVs. I've owned 2 TVs Birds that I sold for one reason or another.

The body was a lighter color (probably the original color) under the guard and very coarse due to the glue probably interacting with the curing nitro over the decades.

I removed the guard and cleaned off the old gunk off both the guard and the body before glueing it back (with tacky spray glue). The swirl is in the pickguard and the color is a brownish red. They are not red and not nearly as transparent as the TVs. I've owned 2 TVs Birds that I sold for one reason or another.

The body was a lighter color (probably the original color) under the guard and very coarse due to the glue probably interacting with the curing nitro over the decades.

Thanks for that Groov,

so we can safely say the original pg's are definitely made of a different material.... I now remember someone else stating..Hogeye maybe ? and this is another reason the paint holds to them better...

i have to say , again..... I'm happy i basically removed my design..as it just wasnt aging as I hoped

aw well ..a little conundrum solved for me

thanks again

Archived