Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Beatles Song!

retrorod

Oh Del, are you sure you don't want to go back and improve this post? fairly poor..... I'm a little disappointed. It doesn't even make sense, clarity my boy, we need clarity...

I think we're getting somewhere now, in vino veritas..... Not your finest hour I'm afraid, Del... Feel free to try again though. I'm here all day....

The Light side PM ..the Light Side

come to us..Feel the Force

I know some memeber must be sick to the teeth of our little debates by now..but ..I do enjoy them Rodney.. the fact is I can get as bored as you..as you type away at you screen..making money out of thin air..it must fell good

for a while

but then ...ohhh ..sweeeeet nothing

I wish i could have caughjt you earlier Paularmain... but i fear you are ,lost to the darkness

ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

my my..... really think about it

its about as heavy as you can get x

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Feel Fine -- as someone who wasn't born until the mid-70s, that song just captures my imagination, thinking about the things they were doing that sound so standard to me now, but that nobody (or almost nobody) had ever done before.

Old Brown Shoe -- lest anyone think the Beatles can't play the blues!

The fact is I can get as bored as you..as you type away at you screen..making money out of thin air..it must fell good

for a while

but then ...ohhh ..sweeeeet nothing

Oh dear, this is car-crash forum posting... Stop yourself before it's too late Delboy, come back when your sober. "Making money out of thin air" makes you sound like a Daily Mail reader or maybe it's The Sun. To ridicule it further would be cruel on my part given the current condition. We can revisit later if you still want to persist with such low rent tabloidisms.

Oh dear, this is car-crash forum posting... Stop yourself before it's too late Delboy, come back when your sober. "Making money out of thin air" makes you sound like a Daily Mail reader or maybe it's The Sun. To ridicule it further would be cruel on my part given the current condition. We can revisit later if you still want to persist with such low rent tabloidisms.

PM please..seriously..I know you need the last word..but STOP..pls

the sorry state of affairs is I am not a Daily Pain reader or a Fool on the Pill

I tend to read the likes of Palast and Pilger..so unfortunately..know SOME of the ways high finance works .... but this is too policical..for a guitar forum..

just breath deeply..dont attack anyone at the bus stop...and get home..you will be safe

Imagine eh !

.......they were a fairly reasonable little combo though.

Now that's funny!

Way too many great tunes in the Beatles catalog to pick just one above the others. I'm So Tired, All My Loving, Good Day Sunshine, Hey Jude, The Long & Winding Road........what a superior collection of material this "fairly reasonable little combo" turned out. Might be easier to answer which of their tunes is the least favorite!

Way too many great tunes in the Beatles catalog to pick just one above the others. I'm So Tired, All My Loving, Good Day Sunshine, Hey Jude, The Long & Winding Road........what a superior collection of material this "fairly reasonable little combo" turned out. Might be easier to answer which of their tunes is the least favorite!

"Ticket to Ride" would be near the top of my "least favorite Beatles' song list, just because it was one of the few songs of theirs that was written for a particular dance beat. (Anybody else remember "The Jerk", dance style from 1964?)

One favorite ? I can only say that the first Beatle song AFTER I got a guitar and was able to really learn by ear over the radio/ record player was Eight Days a Week...

Still love playing it.

Just one of many favorites .

"Ticket to Ride" would be near the top of my "least favorite Beatles' song list, just because it was one of the few songs of theirs that was written for a particular dance beat. (Anybody else remember "The Jerk", dance style from 1964?)

Now that makes me curious Nick.

Found a tune by The Larks called The Jerk that has a taste of the beat and even the melody. Could I ask you to find a stronger example and post the clip.

Not that I think it would change my feelings for Ticket To Ride, but because you reveal a deeper layer here. Always interestingzzz. . .

Now that makes me curious Nick.

Found a tune by The Larks called The Jerk that has a taste of the beat and even the melody. Could I ask you to find a stronger example and post the clip.

Not that I think it would change my feelings for Ticket To Ride, but because you reveal a deeper layer here. Always interestingzzz. . .

Clever you! This may be a chicken and egg situation: did the Larks tune come first, or did the dance appear somewhere and the Larks produced a tune to suit? Remember, there was a huge amount of this going on back then (don't know if it still is, as I don't exactly go out to dance clubs). Just google 60's dance crazes sometimes. There are whole websites devoted to this stuff.

Looking at it now, it's hard to believe we would go and make make fools of ourselves doing the frug, the hully-gully, etc, etc, etc.

Then of course, you had guys like Chubby Checker come along and create a big (although short-lived) thing with the twist.

Let's face it: if you got on a dance floor with 100 other people doing exactly the same thing you were doing, you didn't feel quite so silly.

Things got a little looser about the time of the Summer of Love, and our dancing (and our music) became a bit more free-form. You could go out on the floor and do almost anything, provided you didn't step on your partner's toes (you didn't even need a partner) or knock down people around you.

Bah, humbug! Why do I even think of this stuff? I must be getting old.....

(and the jerk was close related to the monkey (not Monkee), if you are really bored senseless.) Please, somebody stop me here!

Please, somebody stop me here!

I'll be the last to stop you - your knowledge and memories are gold, no kiddin'.

Different times have different beats and so on, it's no crime. Neither - in my mind - it is dubious to contribute to the pulse of the now.

Perhaps the dance/dancing was sat free in 1966-67 (and wasn't it fun), but so many other factors followed series of rolling patterns. Ways of writing, playing electric, arranging, singing and so. Style is a strange phenomenon – and as I recall it, maybe the subcultures of anti-style have the toughest rules.

And surely The Beatles borrowed and took inspiration. The snappy I Feel Fine theme too was in the vein of a song by American soul artist. Lennon had this tune on his private jukebox – there's a whole tv program about this intriguing machine. In The Midnight Hour and Donovan's Turquoise among many others rotated there.

Can I pick an album side? Side B Abbey Road.

Popular yet elegant choice, really is a masterpiece. I'll refrain from commenting on the crippling scope of the question and just say at the moment I'd be inclined to avoid a few of the obvious big hitters and opt for "I'm only sleeping".

Popular yet elegant choice, really is a masterpiece. I'll refrain from commenting on the crippling scope of the question and just say at the moment I'd be inclined to avoid a few of the obvious big hitters and opt for "I'm only sleeping".

Wow, PM, that's a pretty thoughtful choice.

There are so many absolute gems in their catalog that I throw up my hands. They may have been a pop band, but they wrote and performed an awful lot of great music that evolved dramatically over a very short time.

I remember the uneasy shift to "Revolver", and then the dramatic, mind-blowing move that was "Rubber Soul". It may seem quaint to those who didn't live through it, but the Beatles always seemed to be just one step further along on the musical journey.

Their evolution made a lot of people uncomfortable, as you sometimes had to take a bit of a leap of faith to follow them.

Yes, there is a certain amount of absolute nonsense like "Yellow Submarine" and "Octopus's Garden", but then you have "A Day in the Life" to offset that stuff.

Archived