Gibson Brands Forums

ID this older gibson 50's/60's

billdraper

Well the headstock looks fishy, but I can't see why anybody would fake an old LG series guitar when more lucrative frauds are out there to be perpetrated. I could believe that somebody stripped the stock entirely save the logo. Not sure you could fake an old Gibson logo that well and stick it on at such a correct angle. It's so obviously imperfect that it really could be original to the guitar. Goodness knows why anybody would do such a strip job (fear of damage - water, extreme finish checking, cigarette burns?). The body looks real enough, though, even if it is finishless, and has a dubious-looking Martin-style pickguard. Could be worth restoration. Not by pfox, mind. For 450 dollars, my question would be: how does it sound?

What I'm hoping is that it is a 50's LG-2. or maybe a late 40's LG-3. The LG-3's were natural finish. But could the burst finish have been stripped on a LG-2...not likely who would do that?

So probably an LG-0.

The question I asked the seller is...ladder braced or cross brace. The LG-O were ladder braced.

If its cross braced and sounds good...I'm buying!

Another pic:

39e2659268c9898e0d4ca0b79fdf667a11e5c262.jpg

Blll

It appears to be a late 40's or early-mid 50's LG that has been refinished. 19-fret neck probably says pre-1955.

The logo on the headstock is probably original, and stands out in relief because the rest of the paint on the headstock has been scraped away.

The pickguard has obviously been changed as well, as have the tuners.

Check inside to see if the top x-braced or ladder braced. If x-braced, and it plays and sounds good, it might be considered a good deal despite the refinish and other changes, since it's an LG-2 or LG-3. If it's a ladder-braced LG-1, which would also be indicated by a one-piece back in all probability (no centerline cleat on the inside of the back), it's not a particularly good deal.

It's a player rather than a collectible in any case, and should only be considered for purchase in that context.

Yeah Bill, I agree with the other members. Looks authentic LG of some sort that has been stripped except for the logo. The easiest and cheapest restoration, IMHO, would to be (1)get the face of the peghead painted black(leave the logo) (2)get the period-proper pickguard installed (3) install proper-period tuners and (4)install pearl dots on the bridge

Now my testimonial/rant....

I have NEVER got the mindset that people get into when stripping a guitar of its original finish!....No matter how dinged up! The only excuse 'might' be....(1)fire damage (2)water damage and (3) someone carving an obscenity into the finish. The superficial dings and scratches can be cleaned up and only add to the patina of an older instrument....A stripped and 're-finished' instrument is NOT beautifull (in spite of what people who do it think). Once 'original' is gone....IT'S GONE FOREVER [mad]

I think that a lot of this 'furniture-finishing' mentality comes from the fact that when the 'neophytes' encounter a dirty and nasty old guitar they don,t see any other possibility to make it shine other than stripping and spraying it with some BS spray. The TRUTH is.....with the proper compounds, techniques and 'elbow grease' these old nitro finishes can be brought back to life and live on forever.

I have preserved many and it has been one of the many joys of my life....I derive great pleasure out of cleaning an original vintage guitar!

2754077920066230676vAfTKL_th.jpg

2905637160066230676WpCSzr_th.jpg

Thanks retrorod. Good suggestions for restoration.

I agree with your rant as well. Leaving vintage guitars in as original condition as possible makes great aesthetic sense. And also monetary ie resale value sense as well.

So I look at this one and wonder what other crazy things have been done to it that I haven't seen yet.

I value the suggestions made here...this novice buyer is not quite as blind as he was awhile ago.

Bill

You will probably be okay. For $450, not too bad for a great sounding guitar. These old LG's can really spark the creative, musical soul [thumbup] Other than cosmetics, its the same guitar, with perhaps the wood a little thinner from the scraping and/or sanding. That means lighter and more resonant! I know, because I have one that is similiar....It is my 'goto' travel acoustic.

My link

That looks real to me.

The refinish probably was done by someone who had no notion back in the 60's of the "vintage" market of today because it may have been scratched and dinged and they wanted to "fix" that. My Gibson F-25 is like that. Somebody did a rather cheesy refinish of the top which of course reduced it's "value" but did not diminish its playablilty and incredible sound. If it sounds good I say buy it. You won't be all worried about scratching your ""baby" and like me you'll have a great sounding guitar.

Yes, when I showed the Outlaws my '52 LG1 (Back once when we were still talkin'?), the first thing FIL said was that he could give it a lick of paint for me!

Eek! We're off, not to return with LG1....though it is very shabby, possibly retrieved from a burial.....

$450? IF...it is ladder-braced and not worth a lot, give them $350, paint it black, or pink if that is your fancy, stick some medium Gibson strings on it, not forgetting to tune DOWN TWO STEPS to an open tuning (D or G) so the bridge won't go West as you go East and then drag out a bottleneck....'cos there is no better sounding guitar in my opinion for that RJ and other early blues open tuning slide stuff!

BluesKing777.

You will probably be okay. For $450, not too bad for a great sounding guitar. These old LG's can really spark the creative, musical soul [thumbup] Other than cosmetics, its the same guitar, with perhaps the wood a little thinner from the scraping and/or sanding. That means lighter and more resonant! I know, because I have one that is similiar....It is my 'goto' travel acoustic.

My link

It has potential to be a good beater guitar. I'm into vintage guitar now of every description and when they are good they do inspire. So $450 seems cheap if if if...haven't played it yet. Bill

That looks real to me.

The refinish probably was done by someone who had no notion back in the 60's of the "vintage" market of today because it may have been scratched and dinged and they wanted to "fix" that. My Gibson F-25 is like that. Somebody did a rather cheesy refinish of the top which of course reduced it's "value" but did not diminish its playablilty and incredible sound. If it sounds good I say buy it. You won't be all worried about scratching your ""baby" and like me you'll have a great sounding guitar.

Yeah thats what the search is all about....could be a nightmare piece of junk not worth a dime...passed from buyer to buyer on fictional hearsay....or outside chance it is a gem...fun!

Bill

Yes, when I showed the Outlaws my '52 LG1 (Back once when we were still talkin'?), the first thing FIL said was that he could give it a lick of paint for me!

Eek! We're off, not to return with LG1....though it is very shabby, possibly retrieved from a burial.....

$450? IF...it is ladder-braced and not worth a lot, give them $350, paint it black, or pink if that is your fancy, stick some medium Gibson strings on it, not forgetting to tune DOWN TWO STEPS to an open tuning (D or G) so the bridge won't go West as you go East and then drag out a bottleneck....'cos there is no better sounding guitar in my opinion for that RJ and other early blues open tuning slide stuff!

BluesKing777.

Heehee good story Bluesking...$350 and painted pink and sing a song name Boy name Sue...guitar blues...they know they hit bottom when people kindly say...tune her down and get out the slide..haha...but I believe its true!

Bill

If it needs work (like a neck set) I wouldn't bother. You'll end up spending too much on it.

Hey 527...good advise. the ladder brace ones in great condition don't go for more than $1,200-1,500?? So I start adding cost to $450....no good. I hear ya...thanks.

Bill

This guitar is still/again(?) for sale by a local seller who often seems to sell guitars of complex heritage.

You've seen this ad before? Thanks for the caution. I heard back from the seller, and they didn't tell me anything...just said its on consignment, so they didn't know anything....saying come to the store and check it out ....seems 'sales' pitch...get em buyer in the door better than buyer on email...fair enough.....stores is out a ways from me...3 hour trip....hmmm...may be a while before I get out there to see it. Thanks.

Bill

That looks real to me.

The refinish probably was done by someone who had no notion back in the 60's of the "vintage" market of today because it may have been scratched and dinged and they wanted to "fix" that.

Thats exactly what crossed my mind. There was a time when these were just used guitars. You did what you thought you should to make the guitar do what you wanted it to or to just make it look better. I recall screwing a pickup down on a 1930s Martin archtop because I wanted an electric or replacing a badly corroded pitted bridge on a '57 Telecaster which I had originally shelled out the a princely sum of $150 for and then stripping off what was left of the original finish because I wanted to purty it up.

You've seen this ad before? Thanks for the caution. I heard back from the seller, and they didn't tell me anything...just said its on consignment, so they didn't know anything....saying come to the store and check it out ....seems 'sales' pitch...get em buyer in the door better than buyer on email...fair enough.....stores is out a ways from me...3 hour trip....hmmm...may be a while before I get out there to see it. Thanks.

Bill

Sorry: I meant I saw it one day last week in the shop when picking up some strings and it just seemed like a total Frankenguitar to me. I didn't play it b/c I was in a rush, though. If it sounds good to you then that's a different thing. That's where the value is. :)

Heehee good story Bluesking...$350 and painted pink and sing a song name Boy name Sue...guitar blues...they know they hit bottom when people kindly say...tune her down and get out the slide..haha...but I believe its true!

Bill

Yes, I have a few 'slide' guitars from eBay (strings set at a nice easy 3 1/2 or so inches above the 12th fret).

I also wonder why the person that took the finish off the guitar had the nous to leave the Gibson logo on the headstock, if they didn't know what they were doing? Shows intent, to me!

BluesKing777.

This could be genuine. A trapezoid was probably razored around the logo then the rest of the finish was stripped off. The headstock details suffered from the sanding process of this 'restoration'.

Though it may be genuine, it's virtually worthless due to the 'restoration'. I'd only pay serious money if it were structurally sound and had a voice I couldn't put down. Then I'd only play it in a dark, dark room.

This could be genuine. A trapezoid was probably razored around the logo then the rest of the finish was stripped off. The headstock details suffered from the sanding process of this 'restoration'.

Though it may be genuine, it's virtually worthless due to the 'restoration'. I'd only pay serious money if it were structurally sound and had a voice I couldn't put down. Then I'd only play it in a dark, dark room.

LOL...yes that does sum it up. I'm fixating on vintage these days and over-imagining the possibilities. I went to the shop and had a look at the guitar. The guitar looked ok to me. Very small & light. The back mahogany has repairs as well....strips of wood replacing whole sections! Looked ok. It is ladder braced...so probably LG-1. The sales person pointed out that the top was loose! Kinda wobbled a bit when hand pressure pushed down...because of the screws in the bridge tightened too much or something....I played it and it sounded nice...the bass a little dull though. So...not the hidden LG-3 treasure I was hoping for..ha!

Thanks all...

Bill

BK 777 is no tech guitar expert at all, but would say that the top wobbling is good on a woman and perhaps on some cars, but probably not much good on a guitar??? Correct me if I am wrong, Mr Expert.

BluesKing777.

LOL. Played a cracked up Harmony 950 archtop while there. Great playing singing and sound on your 1935 black L-50 by the way...enjoyed.

Archived