Gibson Brands Forums

Variety or Too Similar?

Smurfbird

I've been loving my new-to-me Hummingbird and am knocked out by the gravitas of the instrument. It just has such a warm, heavy bass that it purrs. It automatically plays Rolling Stones songs...so far, No Expectations, Dear Doctor, Torn and Frayed, Sweet Virginia.... and I've been playing it every night and even put my first tiny ding in it -- a love dent, as far as I'm concerned and one of many to come, I'm sure.

So, naturally GAS has got me wondering and daydreaming. I'm likely to have some $$ freed up and I'm thinking a J-200, since a friend had one back in the 1990s and I remember it fondly as a beast. I've also been curious about the short scale Jackson Browne model. (I like Jackson quite a bit, but have never been a signature kind of guy).

My questions are these. Am I duplicating here with a J-200 and a Bird? What models should I be looking at for a variety of tone? I'm a strummer and a very primitive picker. I like big droning open chords and I have a Taylor 210e for when I feel like getting light and happy. So, I definitely want to keep a deep, dark tone. I assume the JB would be a switch from these...

Here's a link to a Jackson Browne on eBay for 3K. My concerns are 1) the Fishman pickup added -- looks like it could get in the way of the natural tone, 2) buying a guitar without seeing it in person first (though I lucked out with the Bird this way, I did hold my breath and have Gibson verify it was one of theirs.)

Unless someone knows of a heaven where JB models are 3K everyday, I likely don't have many choices on that one....and if someone here buys the guitar before me after seeing this link, I'll consider it a blessing in disguise, though don't tell me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Gibson-Jackson-Browne-Model-1-Acoustic-Guitar-w-OHSC-/230863577432?pt=Guitar&hash=item35c08aa158

Thanks in advance!

The JB is not at all similar to your HB. If you are looking for a deep "piano" sounding guitar, buy this one! Having played a JB quite a bit at the local 5 Star Dealer, I must say it is the holy grail and, for me, the one that got away. With either the JB or the J200 you will have varity. Good luck!

I have a JB. Like it very much. I have a Fishman Rare Earth in an HD 28, like it too. It is a different animal, especially with its wider fretboard. It will give you a fairly rich round sound strummed, I think its wonderful. Have only played a J200 in a shop, and have little experience with them to express an opinion. Hard choice. G'luck.

Thanks for the good words.

I've decided to jump in, both feet forward, on this eBay listing. Everything I've read says this is a special guitar. Can't imagine there's a bad one in the batch.

Wish me luck!

Since it sold, I'm assuming you bought it. I can't imagine it's anything other than a great guitar.

Don't forget to wipe the drool off the guitar when you take it out of the case.

Congrats!

Yes, all the good words about the guitar and the videos I've seen just screamed at me. I may never have the discipline or luck to have the full freight for the guitar, but I just sold an old Guild and a few other electrics I wasn't playing much and decided to redeploy the money into this beauty.

I ALWAYS wipe the drool before sitting down with a guitar. And I stop from time to time to wipe away any buildup. :)

Yes, all the good words about the guitar and the videos I've seen just screamed at me. I may never have the discipline or luck to have the full freight for the guitar, but I just sold an old Guild and a few other electrics I wasn't playing much and decided to redeploy the money into this beauty.

I ALWAYS wipe the drool before sitting down with a guitar. And I stop from time to time to wipe away any buildup. :)

Wow...now that's a beauty. Congrats on doing it!

J-200 is a brilliant strummmer, but there is some tonal overlap with the Bird. I would look at a J-45 first if variety is the goal.

Didnt read the earlier replies, so you bought it ? Never played a JB but I think they are most suited for fingerstyle and flatpicking from what I read and heard.Great guitar however, no doubt, less us know how she compares !

Congrats- that is a great price for a JB... I can't believe it wasn't scooped up when it first was on eBay a while ago now... And someone has already gone through the trouble of playing it in for you for maybe a year. Also nice of

them to put maybe a little scratch here & there. Kinda takes the pressure off.

Enjoy the JB. Eager to hear your impressions of it.

Archived