Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul vs. SG

crazytrain513

Whilst I'm sure price might have played some part as far as initial sales goes - first 'proper' guitar sort of thing - I'm not so sure about the longer term implications re; preference.

After all, Zappa, Young, Iommi and many others could easily have chosen to ditch the SG once the money started to roll in but they stayed (mostly) true.

P.

Zappa, Young, & Iommi are exceptions to the rule. Although there are plenty of players who switched from SGs to LPs, I don't know of anyone who made the switch from a LP to a SG.

I am not downing SGs. I prefer the SG over all guitars for slide, but obviously I prefer several others over a SG for everything else.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this one has the beauty of the Les Paul (and that curved cap) but all that SG functionality and playability.

With 24 frets I think it's the perfect guitar for me, although I would prefer it without neck binding:

111920341_lg3.jpg

Well this one has the beauty of the Les Paul (and that curved cap) but all that SG functionality and playability.

With 24 frets I think it's the perfect guitar for me, although I would prefer it without neck binding:

111920341_lg3.jpg

Beautiful! If it had 2 more knobs, it would be my ideal guitar as well B)

Zappa, Young, & Iommi are exceptions to the rule. Although there are plenty of players who switched from SGs to LPs, I don't know of anyone who made the switch from a LP to a SG...

Eric Clapton springs to mind...

OK, please bear in mind the following is pretty much all tongue-in-cheek....(but with a factual basis);

I'm certainly not looking for an argument, LeoPaul, and I'm certain you are not putting-down SGs but you have definitely aroused my curiosity.

Do you really think guitarists who, deep-down, really want a Les Paul will, nevertheless, buy an SG simply because it's cheaper?

Perhaps I'm in the minority but when I wanted a Les Paul I saved up until I could afford to buy one. I didn't stop 3/4 of the way there and think "Oh, what the Hell. I'll just settle for an SG instead and save a few bucks."

I'm 100% certain that you didn't buy your Telecasters because they were cheaper than Stratocasters. Does it not follow that some individuals (strange as it may seem) might actually prefer SGs to LPs?

As I say; not looking for an argument but very curious.

Perhaps we you (:P) should start a new poll over in the SG section; "Did you buy your SG because;

(1) You couldn't afford a Les Paul?"

or

(2) You couldn't wait any longer in your attempts to save up for a Les Paul?

[lol]

But, as I say; Tongue-Very-Firmly-In-Cheek.

P.

For what it's worth, my "baby" brother who ain't 40 yet could afford about any guitar he would want, and in the Seattle area could try about anything, but ended up with a fancy Epi LP that's more expensive than a number of Gibbie versions.

While I'll admit I don't quite understand it, the important thing to me is his comment not about "pretty" or "nice tone," but rather that he said it was the most comfortable and easy playing guitar he'd ever hand his hands on.

That's also the reason why I don't care for the LP and prefer the SG.

It's a matter of what seems to play itself for you. That's your choice, not what somebody else enjoys and wants to pay for at any price.

m

Eric Clapton springs to mind...

I'm 100% certain that you didn't buy your Telecasters because they were cheaper than Stratocasters. Does it not follow that some individuals (strange as it may seem) might actually prefer SGs to LPs?

P.

Yes Clapton played the "Fool" SG briefly, but for the past 40+ yrs. he has played Strats.

Actually I did buy my first Tele because it was the cheapest half-way respectable guitar that I could afford. That is not why I play Teles now. I play them because they along with my Kramer SuperStrats are my favorite guitars. Again I'm not downing SGs, I think they are the best for slide.

...I did buy my first Tele because it was the cheapest half-way respectable guitar that I could afford. That is not why I play Teles now. I play them because.....(...)....they are my favorite guitars....

Yet you doubt people choose to buy SGs for the same reason?

:-k

Anyhow. I'm done.

P.

Yet you doubt people choose to buy SGs for the same reason?

P.

Not at all. I'm sure some players prefer SGs, Derek Trucks comes to mind. If I were primarily a Slide Guitarist like Trucks, I'd prefer a SG too. Slide is where the SG excels, but there are better guitars for other applications.

Archived