Gibson Brands Forums

New Advanced Jumbo review

EuroAussie

I think the AJ is a Musician's Friend/Guitar Center/Music 123 exclusive, and always in yearly production for them. Various runs and special versions are available to Five Star dealers, too, but on a less consistent basis.

Red 333

Or just buy used, I picked this gem up for $1500. The used guitar market in the US is a buyers paradise. Im glad this conference happens only once a year otherwise Id be in trouble ..

Or just buy used, I picked this gem up for $1500. The used guitar market in the US is a buyers paradise. Im glad this conference happens only once a year otherwise Id be in trouble ..

Great price. Great guitar. Glad you got an AJ you enjoy so much.

Red 333

That is what is so cool about the AJ's. For $1500 or so, you get a killer axe made by a legendary company using traditional materials and techniques. And it looks great. But it didn't cost so much that you let it become a hangar queen. I've taken mine everywhere, sidewalk busking, etc. I don't abuse them, but I don't baby them either. About the only other model I think is comparable is HD-28, although new Martin D-18 seems like a winner.

But the Gibsons have much more panache, Martins are so well-scrubbedly earnest. AJ's rock and your grandkids will really appreciate you passing down your Ferguson era AJ to them, it will pay for a year or two of college by then.

(snip)

I'm also not that fond of the Advanced Jumbo. The ones I've played while being loud seemed to alwys sound somewhat too muddy for the tone I like. I find the SWD to be more 'open' and alive.

Anyway, that's just me, what about you, any Gibby models that just dont rock your boat ?

Jerry, where you been mate, we missed ya here. Finally decided to come out of the cracks and offer constructive input .... did I also disgust you ?

Fact is yes, back in the day the few AJ's I tried left me underwhelmed but eventually I came across a couple brilliant specimens and my attitude changed. With Gibsons as we know you have to pick through the litter to find the best ones, and eventually I did.

You will be pleased to read however that I still feel the same about the J-185.

Come back again now ..

How shall your post be understood, Jerry.

A - You quote EA, give him a green lantern, but collect the lantern yourself.

B - You quote EA and give yourself a green lantern for this move.

C - Something third ?

What makes you think I gave myself a plus? I stopped paying attention to those 'like' buttons some time back, they are the facebook emmerdement of the rest of the web.

What makes you think I gave myself a plus? I stopped paying attention to those 'like' buttons some time back, they are the facebook emmerdement of the rest of the web.

My mistake , so sorry - (guess EA gave you one from reading his post).

Maybe I looked for a comment and only found the lantern.

Very early morning here - my brain must be sleeping still. . .

I think the AJ is a Musician's Friend/Guitar Center/Music 123 exclusive, and always in yearly production for them. Various runs and special versions are available to Five Star dealers, too, but on a less consistent basis.

Red 333

The AJ is always available to Five Star dealers... the regular version, plus some other ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, gave the AJ first string change.

Shes had new EJ 16's PB on her from the previous seller and given ive played her everyday I was surprised how well they kept, given my experience with the EJ's is that they die pretty quick.

After 4 weeks they still sounded pretty fresh, but have lost quite a bit of their zing, but certainly not a hint of mud which is quite extra ordinary for a rosewood guitar. My SWD with those strings would sound like swamp by now.

As recommended tried the Martin SP 80/20's to see how they compare. I was a bit sceptical as I was happy with the PB tone and didnt want the tone to be too glassy.

Well, first impression is WOW. Still very new but the tone is not glassy but wonderfully shimmery, yet still highly focused and the overtones are totally under control.

They actually sound less bright and trebly that the EJ 16 PB's (go figure) but more as I said 'shimmery'.

Strumming has now become a strenght when before I thought it was a bit of a weaker point with the AJ. Its much more lush and rounded rather than bright and a bit harsh with the EJ's.

Fingerpicking is interesting. I have noticed its lost some if its bite but the notes now sound more rounded, still not sure if better but its still early days and the new string zip will wear of soon.

But overall first impressions the 80/20's are a strong match for the AJ, especially from a strumming point of view.

Ill leave these on for a few weeks and then try the Martin SP Lifespan PB's to compare as Jinder recommended.

cheers,

EA

Beautiful Instrument.

And the fact that Buddy Miller owned this at one point is awesome !!!

Why did I sell my AJ ?Why did I sell my AJ ?Why did I sell my AJ ?Why did I sell my AJ ?Why did I sell my AJ ? [crying] [crying] [crying] [crying]

Can't believe I've not posted on this one yet. Stunning, stunning, stunning, EA. On this recording I really do understand the meaning of the term 'cannon' when applied to an acoustic guitar. Still not going to make me prefer rosewood to hog, or want anything more than the Woody, but if I could afford another, an AJ would be high on the list. Really is the only rosewood design from which I regularly hear something earthy in recordings. I do get more than sheen from some Martin samples, but generally I hear gloss rather than overtones whatever the rosewood instrument. My rubbish ears, I'm sure. The only other rosewood instrument that really gets me going this much is Paul Simon's Guild from c. 1967. His best sounding guitar, though not used on his best songs to my mind ('Bookends' for example - not really up there with 'The Boxer' or 'Sounds of Silence' as a composition, but in terms of guitar tone kicks either of those real writing gems). Anyway, can't imagine for the life of me why Buddy Miller would have wanted to sell this box. His loss, your eventual gain. Should it ever go missing, send Interpol straight down the road to Hungary. I will probably have taken a day trip to Prague and borrowed it. Would return it though. The Woody already seems too loud for Mrs Mojo's mando if I strum it and really dig in (and her mando can deliver some volume), and it also appears to drown out the other guitar in the parents' band at our daughter's kindergarten. The mind boggles at what this beast would do in an ensemble situation. Would love to take it to a full-on bluegrass jam.

Really is the only rosewood design from which I regularly hear something earthy in recordings.

I hear ya brother, and feel the same way.

Have not come across another rosewood dread that harnesses the rosewood power, keeps it focused and still delivers an earthy tone like the AJ. With the 80/20's I just got another extra 25% in volume and its almost OTT. It took Jinder about 6 months to tame his AJ, I have a feeling it might take me about the same time ...

I hear ya brother, and feel the same way.

Have not come across another rosewood dread that harnesses the rosewood power, keeps it focused and still delivers an earthy tone like the AJ. With the 80/20's I just got another extra 25% in volume and its almost OTT. It took Jinder about 6 months to tame his AJ, I have a feeling it might take me about the same time ...

Why tame it? You have a pretty good bluegrass band in Prague called G-Runs n Roses. You should take it and audition/jam with them. It would blow their guitarist's D35 out of the water. Especially if you've racked it up another quarter with the new strings. Mind you, the bloke might want to take it off your hands.

The only other rosewood instrument that really gets me going this much is Paul Simon's Guild from c. 1967. His best sounding guitar, though not used on his best songs to my mind ('Bookends' for example - not really up there with 'The Boxer' or 'Sounds of Silence' as a composition, but in terms of guitar tone kicks either of those real writing gems).

Not sure if this should be a private mail, but choose this as it's core-guitar related.

You sound as if you might know a thing or 2 about Simon's guitars - especially from the early period (Bookends is absolutely marvelous). If there's something to it, could you share.

Pardon for kind bending the thread EA - it's only a niche.

• 1 year later...

Beautiful! Same year as my AJ and looks identical.

A word to the wise-the AJ is THE most sensitive guitar to string choice that I've ever met. Different strings can make it sound like a totally different instrument.

Mine virtually spat the D'Addario PB 12s off as soon as I'd put them on-deeply disappointing and thin sounding.

I had a good run with Martin 80/20 12-54s, used them for a long time and they REALLY suit the AJ, but found myself gigging out of town and in need of a new set of wires, happened into a guitar shop which had a gigantic selection of strings-the staff were raving about Martin Lifespan SP PBs, so I bought a set on a whim...

And there it was...the grail tone, the strings that my AJ had been searching for all along-amazing fat top end, warm mids and dry, punchy bass, no sharp "new string" tone, they get straight to the sweet spot and stay there forever...usually until I break one!

It's probably down to the quirks of my AJ, my ears and my fingers, but these strings are just beautiful on my guitar.

Let me know what you settle on pickup wise. I find my AJ to be insanely feedback prone live, whatever pickup I use, feedback buster I employ, EQing I do etc...the thing just wants to moan and groan at me at anything other than low stage volume.

I'm too attached to the AJ to not tour with it though, so I just make sure the monitor guys keep it way down low if I'm playing through the house system. It's worth the sacrifice!

One last point, how damn fine is the neck on AJ? Most comfortable neck I've ever come across. I'd swear it was a little wider than 1.725" but I've yet to lay a Vernier on it. All I know is I can play all day and not get tired of that neck...or tone, for that matter.

It may take you a while to tame your AJ (it took me six months to fully get the best out of mine) but when you do, you'll see that it can do anything at all-such a versatile and dynamic guitar. Great for writing, and they record brilliantly too. If you're heading into the studio, stick a set of Martin 80/20 12s on it a couple of months before, and gig/play/abuse them until they're absolutely knackered, then stick a stereo pair in front of the AJ...guaranteed unearthly, dark-chocolate-and-rock-salt tonal heaven.

Enjoy!

Hey Man I agree totally on your point about usinG the Martin Strings>Martin Lifespan SP PBs ..I have a Sitka-Roswood Song Writer Deluxe and it just sounds fantastic with the Martin Strings. They play nice and clean right off the get go. They dont seem to need a break in period to get rid of squeaking slides etc. like the Darrio EXPs that I used to use. The EXPs played a bit louder but the Martin strings just sound and play so much nicer and last a long time!

Archived