Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Esbjorn

LP sound advice

Hello everyone. I'm Esbjorn from Denmark.

I was wondering if I could steal some advice from you guys.

I'm gonna buy a Les Paul for a 70's old school rock n roll type of band... But I'm having a hard time figuring out which LP to buy... Standard, Tradish og classic...

I've been offered buying rights on a 1991 LP 40th anniversary (only 300 made) - but don't now if it will fit the sound image we look for. It has p-90's on it... But in mint condish...

Can anybody help me out?

Have a good day/night :-)

Hello and welcome to the Forums Esbjorn!

The P-90s are great sounding pickups! Clean they sound rich, bright, and pronounced. Overdriven they bite like a mad dog. I think they are ideal for classic rock/hard blues, if You can live with the constant hum of the single-coils.

Although, - I think - an LP with humbuckers would provide more versatility. My preference - for a great all-around performance - would be the Traditional with 57' Classics.

But - as always when this question is asked - the correct answer should be: try as many as You can, and find out for Yourself! Noone can make the correct choice for You! Good luck!

Cheers... Bence

Thanks for the welcoming :-) Very nice.

And I see your point, I should just go down to the store an use a couple of hours... But what did you think in general about the 40th anniverary LP?

This is it (danish text but lot of pics...)

http://www.4sound.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?tid=156845

It's a really beautyful guitar, indeed! For the price of the current Classic Custom (in Europe) it's reasonable, I think. Considering it's a limited edition, anniversary model it's a good price! Looks great with creme plastics! Also check them out on Youtube! Cheers... Bence

I think one of the biggest things to consider would actually be pickups, as opposed to model. I would say something with either '57 Classics or Burstbuckers (I'd recommend Burstbucker Pros) would actually be the most useful. I would stay away from ceramics like the 490R/498T combo for your purposes.

I think I'll drop the 40th anniversary cause og the p-90's... I would go burstbucker pro but that means buying standard '12 and I dont that amount to spend :-)

So maybe the LP 1960 classic custom... It has the '57 classic's... Or a standard '08... (my price range) :)

I think I'll drop the 40th anniversary cause og the p-90's... I would go burstbucker pro but that means buying standard '12 and I dont that amount to spend :-)

I just bought a 2012 Les Paul Studio FOR classic rock and it came with BB Pros stock! Wonderful deal.

So maybe the LP 1960 classic custom... It has the '57 classic's... Or a standard '08... (my price range) :)

Also do not skip the Classic Customs! They come with Traditional body (swiss-cheese relief) and '57 Classics. Built quality of these are above expectations. The price was lowered a bit a few weeks ago - it's a GREAT value for the money. Here my Antique Natural:

HPIM3035.jpg

Mostly I play Gary Moore-style blues solos, so it perfectly fits my needs.

Rhoads_with_natural_LP.jpg

It's also kind of a tribute to the great Randy Rhoads. He also had a natural LP as seen on the photo above. :)

Cheers... Bence

For what it's worth, playing both rock and country in saloons for money in my region of the U.S. from 1965 through 1979, I never saw one LP around here.

335s, yes. Ricks, yes. Once in a while an SG, yes, but also Fenders of various descriptions. An occasional Gretsch of one variety or another - and the "new" Japanese copies of the above.

Never an LP.

I'm sure it's different in other regions of the U.S. But...

m

For what it's worth, playing both rock and country in saloons for money in my region of the U.S. from 1965 through 1979, I never saw one LP around here.

335s, yes. Ricks, yes. Once in a while an SG, yes, but also Fenders of various descriptions. An occasional Gretsch of one variety or another - and the "new" Japanese copies of the above.

Never an LP.

m

Hello Milod! As Esbjorn refered to Jimmy Page, I assume He is chasing Led Zep kind of "rock" tones. Cheers... Bence

Never an LP.

m

I'll say that (as everybody) I'm chasing a sound that (if played on a radio station) makes people think: "Oh that's old school"... A sound that'll break all the computer based songs out now and the last 4-5 years... But knowing what you've heard and saw back in the day (the actual day) is of very high value... What I would'nt do to sit down with a cup of coffee and talk rock in the 60's and 70's with someone who actually was there :-)

I'm not a fender guy though... Tried out a gretch which had a good sound but was not that good to play (my opinion).

Which neck of the country are we talking about?

ps excuse my spelling errors... I'm danish :-)

Hello Milod! As Esbjorn refered to Jimmy Page, I assume He is chasing Led Zep kind of "rock" tones. Cheers... Bence

Yes... indeed... But there's a lot of other sounds that I like a lot... And it will eventually all come down to the type of song played by my band... Cause there will be strong references to CCR, The rolling Stones obviously with our own twist... But what these bands have/had in common was that the electronic devices and computer help there's is today didn't excist back then (I know you know, just pointing out) and still they made music so real and honest both in sound and lyric. especially in the sound of the lead guitar in my opinion... And that's what I'm chasing... and the one guitar that sticks out the most is that of Jimmy Page...

My lead guy can play the stones part - he has a '72 telecaster... :-)

Bjorn...

I am from the U.S. Northern Plains. On a US map, that is basically the high, dry area east of the Rocky Mountains, North of the Platte River and on the drainage of the Missouri River. Altitude is usually 1,000 meters and higher.

We have many Danes in some of our areas. For example, Viborg, South Dakota is now about 100 years old. Many Norwegians, Swedes and Finns also - many, many Germans and, of course, people from the British Isles.

I think that by the time Zeppelin was around, I was already getting "older" and the music scene here had changed. The money was in Country music, not in Rock.

Seriously, I saw not one LP in any band from here. There may have been some, but I was playing music and not watching so much.

Most of my Rock for money was between 1965 and 1969. Zep came in more in the 1970s that I consider "New," not really "classic" rock. But then, I am old.

I did play a lot of CCR. It worked well enough with almost any guitar just in a loose trio. I played my SG and I played a hollowbody in the trio. For the hollow body, think about an Epiphone Joe Pass with just one fingerboard single pole pickup.

More of your "sound" will come from your amplifier than the guitar, I think. I used an original Fender Deluxe Reverb and then a big 120-watt tube amp very similar to a Fender Twin Reverb that had far too much power for small saloons.

But when we are younger, and playing for a younger crowd, we often want guitars that look like a certain kind of band. Then we think sound in second place.

As I said, I am not so young now. If I will play "old rock" or "country rock" or "blues" with others, I take the SG or more likely an Epi Dot to the saloon.

m

I think one of the biggest things to consider would actually be pickups, as opposed to model. I would say something with either '57 Classics or Burstbuckers (I'd recommend Burstbucker Pros) would actually be the most useful. I would stay away from ceramics like the 490R/498T combo for your purposes.

Just thought I'd point out that the 490r and 498t do not use ceramic magnets.

If your looking for the Led Zeppelin Page sound I'd go with a 59 Les Paul and a Super Lead Marshall amp, you will need some sort of distortion box as the Super Lead has no real gain alone and unless your playing large halls you wont be able to crank it up. If you want that Led Zeppelin 1 sound (first album) you want a Telecaster and a Vox amp like he was using in the Yardbird's but Jimmy supposedly used servile different amps/cabs on that record so I don't know.

Just thought I'd point out that the 490r and 498t do not use ceramic magnets.

I'm sorry, my mistake. I meant to say "wax potted" pickups would not suit his style and for some odd reason, I said what I said. My apologies to the OP.

If your looking for the Led Zeppelin Page sound I'd go with a 59 Les Paul and a Super Lead Marshall amp, you will need some sort of distortion box as the Super Lead has no real gain alone and unless your playing large halls you wont be able to crank it up. If you want that Led Zeppelin 1 sound (first album) you want a Telecaster and a Vox amp like he was using in the Yardbird's but Jimmy supposedly used servile different amps/cabs on that record so I don't know.

Hey man... Thanks a lot...

great advice :-)

Hello everyone. I'm Esbjorn from Denmark.

I was wondering if I could steal some advice from you guys.

I'm gonna buy a Les Paul for a 70's old school rock n roll type of band... But I'm having a hard time figuring out which LP to buy... Standard, Tradish og classic...

I've been offered buying rights on a 1991 LP 40th anniversary (only 300 made) - but don't now if it will fit the sound image we look for. It has p-90's on it... But in mint condish...

Can anybody help me out?

Have a good day/night :-)

Just buy any Standard 60s 70s or 80s LP with PAFs. I would pass on P-90

That anniversary model looks the same as the pro deluxe. Ebony board etc. That was a late 70's guitar. I loved mine.

Remember that Page had his LPs wired to split the coils on his Burstbuckers to get the sound of the Telecaster that he used on Led Zepplin I, II and parts of III & IV. For example, Page used a Tele on "Stairway to Heaven."

So you may want a Page Signature LP or you can have coil taps added to your LP. On his Signature, Gibson installs

Jimmy Page BurstBucker in the bridge. Here are the specs on Page's LP:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Jimmy-Page-Number-Two-Les-Paul/Specs.aspx