Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone got a 1962 50th Anniversary Sheraton?

ant7629

Just picked mine up in Harrisburg, PA. They had three instock, all cherry. While testing out the first one I found a fairly significant crack just below the nut. I couldn't find fault in the second one I examined and ended up taking that one home. Turns out it was #6 in the production run, so to make a long story short, if your looking to test one out or would prefer a guitar early in the production I would reccomend checking out the Guitar Center in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

J.

These look do nice. Got a white 355 last year which is great. I like this and the crestwood 62 reissue. Think ill go natural if I can save the pennies for a Sheraton, I'm liking the mini humbuckers on it. The crestwood looks great too though. Wonder what else epiphone have in store this year, if these 2 guitars are anything to go by we could be in for a real treat!

Well mine came in and I was thrilled then immediately disappointed. Cool grey case, finish and setup was flawless. Neck extremely comfortable. It did have that weird squared edge near the body but it didnt bother me while playing. Pickups sound amazing, need to get a set of these into my 78 deluxe pro! Pots have a nice sweep.

Unfortunately I noticed right away that there was a hairline crack that went from the nut to about the 2nd fret on both sides :(. Pointed it out to the owners and they will be sending it back. This was #721. Hopefully the next one will be as beautiful but with out shipping damage

Great to see these things hitting the streets. Send your thoughts on her!

Well after a couple of days of trying to test the guitar out this is what I have to report. The finish looks amazing, I compaired it to the finish of other epiphone semi-hollows and it looks like a clear step up. I never saw last years ES-355/345 so I can't say how it stacks up to that model. The only imperfection is a bit of the red stain found its was onto the binding near where the neck meets the body on the left side. I only have my camera from my phone available to me at the moment, but will post some decent picks when I can get my hands on a better camera.

The sound is much cleaner and a bit brighter in comparison to the Sheraton II.

To me the most telling thing was when one of my metal head friends came over to check out the guitar. I told him that it wasn't his type of guitar but would appreciate his opinion. He thought it was amazing.

I still need to restring the guitar with some better strings and try it out on some different amps to get a better idea of how it sounds but for the price I am so far very happy with the guitar and would be really interested to hear about how it stacks up against other limited edition versions of the sheraton like the elitist.

Well mine came in and I was thrilled then immediately disappointed. Cool grey case, finish and setup was flawless. Neck extremely comfortable. It did have that weird squared edge near the body but it didnt bother me while playing. Pickups sound amazing, need to get a set of these into my 78 deluxe pro! Pots have a nice sweep.

Unfortunately I noticed right away that there was a hairline crack that went from the nut to about the 2nd fret on both sides :(. Pointed it out to the owners and they will be sending it back. This was #721. Hopefully the next one will be as beautiful but with out shipping damage

Sounds similar to the crack that I saw when trying what they had in a GC, hopefully this isn't a frequent production flaw. I hope you have better luck with your next one.

Sounds similar to the crack that I saw when trying what they had in a GC, hopefully this isn't a frequent production flaw. I hope you have better luck with your next one.

Well, in fact it does look like a frequent problem. I reported the same "cracks near the nut" problem earlier in this thread regarding the guitar that I received from Italy. I sent it back to the shop and wanted replacement but they replied that all guitars but ONE that they have on stock had this problem and the one without this problem was a version with Tremotone which I did not want. So I got my money back and for the moment this is enough for me. I do not want this guitar anymore reading about all these quality issues.

It would be interesting to see a close up photo of the crack.

Sorry didn't get a chance to a take a pic of it as I just left it at the store after showing it to the store owners. I tried to ignore it because the guitar sounded so good, but I could feel the crack on the surface. It seems like these are guitars having major issues. Do a quick Search on Ebay and see how many have been "refurbished" for issues and blemishes. I've never had any issues with Epiphones arriving with damage from shipping and I've order two ( a Lucille and Korina V). My next one is supposed to be in Mid January. If it has any issues the next time I will ask for a deposit refund and get something else.

Are these all actual neck cracks, or merely "finish" cracks? If they're neck cracks, then something is

definitely amiss! Finish cracks, can happen, at any time. But, if these "cracks" are all in the same

general area, and are structure cracks, Epi may have a real problem, with the wood (improperly dried,

and/or assembled), etc. Some photos would really help...Us, to see what's going on. Anyone got any?!

Also, are the cracks, at the glue joint, for the neck/fingerboard (a "seperation crack"), or where the scarf

joint is, at the headstock/neck area? :-k

CB

For mine it felt like a small crack in the wood as I could feel the wood and not just a crack in the finish. If it had been a surface/ finish crack I would have overlooked it since I was already getting the guitar way under internet prices. On mine it began at the bottom of the nut and extended down along the fretboard. I wish I had snapped some pics of it. I'm not giving up hope on these as it really was an amazing playing and sounding guitar.

Sounds similar to the one I encountered (in the store so I also don't have pictures). My crack ran along the binding between the fretboard and neck. It started under the nut and ran a little over half way down the first fret. Deffinately not a crack in the finish. It didn't look like a crack in the wood either,having seen it my best guess would be an adhesive issue like CB suggested, but strange that they all seem to be by the nut. It's really unfortunate cuz in theory this could be such an awesome guitar that has just been poorly manufactured.

J.

IF...indeed, they are binding seperations, from the neck, it may be just that...the binding! The actual guitar neck/fingerboard MAY be ok, and would only need the binding reparied, or replaced.

These kinds of things happen, even to Gibson's, and other more expensive brands. So, I wouldn't give up, on the '62 Sheraton...yet, anyway. Still, it is unfortunate, that so many have been reported, as having the the same, or similar problems, in the same general area. Not having actually seen, any of this, it's hard to know (exactly) what's going on??? I'm sure, though, Gibson/Epiphone would honor any valid repair, or replacement situation. So, send them back! There's no valid reason, to put up with any of those issues, just because of it's price point, or the country it's manufactured in. I'm quite sure, they wouldn't, if they were in your shoes!

Cheers, and better fortunes "next time!"

CB

Yeah, that neck/headstock appears to be cracked...(Shipping damage???). So, I doubt that's a "factory" defect.

But, as to a fingerboard seperating...that IS a build quality issue, UNLESS it's directly attributed to the

damage, caused by the neck/headstock cracking. Either way, it's definitely in need of replacement, by your

dealer, and/or Gibson/Epiphone.

Let them work out, which shipping company is responsible, for the damage!

(And, "Good Luck" with that! :rolleyes: )

CB

Just bought a 2012 Sheraton.....should have waited, had I known. But, I'm happy with the one I got. Might have to spring for one of these, though. Just for the Frequensator! And, the pickups, of course.

I just got mine as xmas present from the wife yesterday :) Merry christmas btw!

I have the cherry with frequensator tailpiece. It is stunning! The sound is lovely and wodden, like you would expect. Also the pickups have quite some output and sound great through my fender 5f1 champ. The build quality is very good, no cracks, etc. The only thing is that there is a bit of colour in the binding where the neck is glued in but that doesnt matter too much. The setup is ok. Might have to take this to the luthier so its 100% proper. Also they messed up the serial numbers. I have a sticker for the tv model with vibrato in the guitar and the running number is missing. Am I right guessing that the number after the 12901500xxx in the serial it is the running number?

After all: I think this really is a bang for the buck. I have been looking at various ES models and couldnt let this one pass!!!

Here's one on Ebay that has a similar crack to the first one I received:

$T2eC16FHJHwE9n8igsLzBQ22rhcnpQ~~60_12.JPG

It worries me that so many are showing up with the same issue in the same spot. They can't all be shipping damage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-50th-Anniversary-1962-Sheraton-Electric-Guitar-with-Case-/221170280100?pt=Guitar&hash=item337ec6a6a4

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one on Ebay that has a similar crack to the first one I received:

$T2eC16FHJHwE9n8igsLzBQ22rhcnpQ~~60_12.JPG

It worries me that so many are showing up with the same issue in the same spot. They can't all be shipping damage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-50th-Anniversary-1962-Sheraton-Electric-Guitar-with-Case-/221170280100?pt=Guitar&hash=item337ec6a6a4

i just got one from ams and if they all have necks as thin as mine its no wonder they crack/snap. its like a damn ibanez wizard neck, not what i was expecting. anyone have a nice cherry one with a thick neck that wants a thin neck one? trade straight?

Hi I'm new to this forum, I've been offered the opportunity to buy one of these 1962 Sheraton in cherry for £450 deal or no deal. Can anyone recommend please any feedback greatfully recieved

try for £420 thats what i got mine for in USA from american musical supply with the 10% off coupon.

i just got one from ams and if they all have necks as thin as mine its no wonder they crack/snap. its like a damn ibanez wizard neck, not what i was expecting. anyone have a nice cherry one with a thick neck that wants a thin neck one? trade straight?

The first one that was sent to me ( Cherry with trem) didn't have a thick neck, but I also didn't find it super thin. It was pretty comfortable to me.