Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ant7629

Anyone got a 1962 50th Anniversary Sheraton?

Hi all - I've taken delivery of my Sheraton '62 reissue about an hour ago, and I can confirm she is gorgeous!!

I ordered mine from Andertons Music in Guildford last week, I think I must have been lucky to find one still available. I'm a fairly new player (I picked up a guitar for the first time in January of this year) and I've been lurking on the site for a few days, reading up on posts etc., and this is my first post here - pleased to meet you all. So, my technical reports are likely to be far less than some of the excellent ones here, but I don't seem to have any of the issues with the Frequensator, screws, etc., that some people have mentioned. The finish is slightly dodgy in a couple of places, but nothing to write home about. I've just had a quick go on it now and despite my novice status, I can confirm that it plays a whole load better than the beat-up old SG copy I've been learning on. The action feels loads nicer, it definitely sounds a whole load better (even through my tinny 15 amp practice amp!!) and it seems to "sit" much better on me than the machine I've been learning on - by that I guess I mean the weight is better distributed. As with a few other folks on here the number of my limited edition is missing off the label in the body, but I'll email Epi Customer Services and see if they can tell me what it is.

I'm taking it down to my local Luthier tomorrow to get set up properly (T.C. Ellis Guitars, just outside Cardiff - http://tcellisguitars.com/) and then I'll be able to have a better play around with it. All in all, I'm very happy with it [smile]

Hey Gang.... looks like I'm late to this party.... but Im the lucky caretaker of #699 which I picked up in Feb 2013. Cherry Red with Trem. Its here with me about 2 miles from the birthplace of the originals. Glad everyone is enjoying theirs as much as I am. I had a black, MIC Sheraton II that I was going to try putting mini's into myself, when this jewel rolled in my local GC. I was (and am still) smitten.

Mine has to be the least expensive one here. I got this as a refurbished unit (#82 of 1962). Someone has pulled the Gibson pickups and replaced them with Seymour Duncan SM-1s. That, and the Used stamp on the headstock separate the others from mine. However, the purchase price allows me to install whatever pickups I want (Zhangbucker Firebirds) and still be into it less than any other I've seen. It's a blast to play, even with the SDs. Best bang-for-the-buck guitar available.

IMG_0896_zpsb1b0759b.jpg

• Downvote 1

tweed…

Those SD SM-1's are good pickups. I had one in the neck position on my Fender Vintage Hot Rod '52 Tele and it was amazing. I miss that guitar. If you ever want to part with the pups, let me know.

tweed…

Those SD SM-1's are good pickups. I had one in the neck position on my Fender Vintage Hot Rod '52 Tele and it was amazing. I miss that guitar. If you ever want to part with the pups, let me know.

I agree, they are great pickups. But, since I already had a pair of Zhangbucker Firebirds being wound for my cancelled project, I figured I'd install those. Besides, I have a problem with the embossed logo on the face of the SM-1s, kinda cheesy looking. The Zhangs should be here in the next few weeks, I'll let you know when the SDs come out.

Yep, mine survived the last purge (the sister Sorrento, and a few others, didn't). It's the only one I have now, with anything other than single coils.

2y2Jx8Pl.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1