Gibson Brands Forums

Have ya'll seen these Les Pauls

RS1976

the only thing to watch with these is try order by phone and ask f it's a open box and if it is have them describe i there usually really honest and will tell you if it has cosmetic issues. Remember Sweetwater has one of the best and easiest returns in he business which means they get a lot of guitars back most are fine but when there blowing these out Ive ended up returning a few for obvious cosmetic issues that somebody probably already sent it back for once before. Ive also got a couple of great buys from Sweetwater and if you don't like it send it back and get another one.

To be clear, I'm referring to the Melody maker thingy the kid is using in the vid, the one that is supposed to be the measure of how good a guitar it is because the kid using it makes it sound so good. That there is junk that you truly do get what you pay for.

The cheap Les Paul on sale is a pretty nice deal for the makings of a gigging guitar, I could definitely take that if I was in need of a les Paul. I'm not, mines been through a lot and still kicking, cymbals, beers, dancers and all.

rct

Ok, I can see that. I think those new Melody Makers are very much what they Melody Makers have always been. Cheap starter guitars. If I could get one cheap (under $200) I think it might be fun to set one up for slide.

If you go to the Sweetwater link that is posted in this thread for these '50's tribute studios and right click a photo that shows the back of the neck and select to open in a new tab (IE8 here) you will be able to zoom in even more. The neck looks almost like raw wood, no grain filler and barely any real finishing. They also look like they were spray pained from a can of spray paint. I am not saying this to put the guitar down but there are some extreme shortcuts to get this guitar at this price point. That's way cool too just don't think your getting a $1500 to $2000 guitar for that price. I have no clue as to the set up, most likely not Plecked and who knows how the frets are finished. I've tried some low end USA Gibsons that look so cool but was afraid I'd cut my hand on the protruding fret ends.

I would really have to try one out to make any kind of judgement but the prognosis is not so good IMO. Still if it gets someone inspired to play than I am all for it.

Ok, I can see that. I think those new Melody Makers are very much what they Melody Makers have always been. Cheap starter guitars. If I could get one cheap (under $200) I think it might be fun to set one up for slide.

I like that idea. I am too lazy to do it though. Mr. Betts told me a long time ago to just use whatever guitar I was holding to play slide, it would make me a better player, and he was right. So I've never bothered with tunings or set ups, just practice a lot if I have to play slide. Which thankfully isn't all that often. I like it, I play slide a lot fooling around at home, but I don't get hired to do that!

rct

Archived