Gibson Brands Forums

Foreign Affairs For $200 Alex

J.R.M.30!

A lot of really neeto guitars were made in Italy in the sixties including the whole Vox line.

I do think the Japanese Fenders are very nice guitars. A Thinline Jag is on my wish list. Gretsch now makes most of their high end guitars in Japan like the Brian Setzer model. So nothing bad to say about the axes coming out of Japan.

I still think a good old USA made Gibson is hard to beat.

All kidding aside, I think a lot of the Chinese stuff, Epi and others, is awfully good for mass production when I compare it mentally to construction and materials of a lotta the old US made stuff like Kay and Harmony toward their end game.

I think some Indonesian instruments have gotten quite good reviews - and I may be wrong, but I think some of the higher end Epis were from there.

The difference as I see it is a combination of corporate experience with guitars in a given place, quality of materials and whether they wanna go to high end quality stuff. I think a lotta places, including China, has enough of the experience and basic handworking skills - but materials and such may not have the trust going for them one would find in a more developed country.

You've gotta figure too that up through the 1960s a lotta Europe was still recovering from WWII and in spite of solid manufacturing experience, were still rebuilding economies and factories.

m

If you mean the "Italia" brand in particular, they play & sound pretty good. They're often designed in tribute to Cold War-era funky Eurotrash guitars. There is one model's body that is partially made of plastic - it'll crack or break if you don't baby your guitars; apart from that model, Italia makes good guitars. I'm not sure if they're worth the retail pricetag so I wouldn't buy them new, though.

Archived