Gibson Brands Forums

For anyone looking an AJ

Hairy Dave

Thats a pretty impressive price, given the price hikes from Thomann recently.

The AJ goes for 1590 euro while the J-45 standard 2090 euro, while the HB TV checks in now around 3500 eur. This makes the AJ outstanding value for money.

However these AJ's must really have a hard time selling. If you look at the sales rank the J-45 is around 3000 most popular sales item, while the AJ at around 21,000.

I think out there in the wide world, way beyond guitar forums the AJ is probably a bit of an enigma, most people probably are not aware of it or have no idea what its about.

I always thought in the pas the AJ was a bit of an acquired taste, but now that I play mine more I see as appealing to all styles, not just those who love bluegrass, americana or fingerpicking. Its quite the allrounder, like its J-45 cousin.

I think Gibson needs to profile it more on X-factor or American idol ... :rolleyes:

Yeah I thought the price was great EA. Thought it might be b-stock to begin with, but it's not. 6 months from now I might be in the position to add to collection - just not now.

That's life haha. Still grateful for what I have though!

My J45 is rosewood so another rosewood is prob not the direction I should go in anyway. Still gassin for an HB Tv though lol

I think you nailed it Aussie. I had never heard of a AJ myself until joining the forums. Everybody knows the j45 or SJ, bird. I've been to a few bluegrass jams with mine and they always ask what my AJ is. They think its a j45 with fancier inlays. A lot of them are quit surprised to find the AJ drowning out their D28s . After that they want to know all about it, and these are guys who have been playing longer than I been alive.

Archived