Gibson Brands Forums

Introduction

Dilemma

Hello all, my name is actually Thomas, not Dilemma. [thumbup] I've been playing guitar for approximately 30 years. I currently have a PRS Custom 24, a 1988 Clapton Strat, an Eric Johnson Strat, a JEM, an Ibanez RG450DX, and finally a Martin acoustic.

I'm considering a '96 LP Custom, Honeyburst. What I'm curious about is pickguards. Some have them, other's didn't. What dictated what?

Thanks for the help. [thumbup]

Hello all, my name is actually Thomas, not Dilemma. [thumbup] I've been playing guitar for approximately 30 years. I currently have a PRS Custom 24, a 1988 Clapton Strat, an Eric Johnson Strat, a JEM, an Ibanez RG450DX, and finally a Martin acoustic.

I'm considering a '96 LP Custom, Honeyburst. What I'm curious about is pickguards. Some have them, other's didn't. What dictated what?

Thanks for the help. [thumbup]

Usually LP's with a figured top AAA will come with a pickguard in the case but not installed. Lots of players want to show off the top. Solid color tops like ebony or gold tops have the pickguard already installed.

Usually LP's with a figured top AAA will come with a pickguard in the case but not installed. Lots of players want to show off the top. Solid color tops like ebony or gold tops have the pickguard already installed.

Yep, this is about the size of it although there is an increasing tendency for manufacturers not to install the pickguard at all even on lower end guitars (for example, Epiphone often leave the pickguard uninstalled).

It is then a matter of personal choice (as it is anyway) whether you prefer to play with or without a pickguard. For me, the answer is always yes, as I prefer to play (lead as well as rythmn) directly over the top of the neck pickup and tend to rest my right pinky on the pickguard - this is easier with a pickguard in place than without.

Beautiful top, is that honey burst ? Looks sexy!

Is it a custom reissue like a 68?

Honeyburst, yes. The Blue Book of Guitars has it's value at $2100.00. Seller claims it's been out of the case MAYBE a dozen time's. He's asking $2300.00. I've never met the man but we've been on the same online forum together for 10+ years. I do trust him.

Beautiful guitar. Just Gorgeous!

[thumbup]

As the guitar has been used so infrequently the p/g might be in the 'pocket' of the case. Have you asked the seller if he kept it after removing it from the instrument?

They are, of course, readily available but if the original is there it would be a better thing.

I, like Pin, use the p/g as a resting place for my little finger quite a bit.

I was mainly a Strat player for 24 years and the carved-top of the LP means that (for me) a slightly different technique was required. I find the p/g to be beneficial for picking comfort.

P.

that is a nice looking paul for sure.

I think I'd leave it sans the PG... my right hand hangs out down near the bridge anyway, PG is irrelevant for me personally. I left it on my wine red standard, simply cuz I don't want to bother filling the holes. on my Cheryburst 02, it never was installed, but it was in the case.

Good luck!

Well guys, I got her today. Just pulled it out of the box and recorded this with the iPhone. Sorry for the crummy sound and video, but you get the point!

Still looks gorgeous!

[thumbup]

Not wishing to stress a point made earlier but...

Looking at where (and how often) you rest the little finger of your right hand I'm absolutely certain you'd find fitting a p/g a good idea in terms of playing comfort.

Jus' sayin'....

P.

Still looks gorgeous!

[thumbup]

Not wishing to stress a point made earlier but...

Looking at where, and how often, you rest the little finger of your right hand I'm absolutely convinced you'd find fitting a p/g a good idea in terms of playing comfort.

Jus' sayin'....

+1. Also consider: the finish will likely get scratched from strumming (and by the nail of Your pinky) on the surface where the pickguard should be. Although that's a bigger issue with black guitars - on which scratches are more visible. A good compromise would be a transparent pickguard which shows off the beauty of the top, and still protecting the finish. Cheers... Bence

Archived