Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Playing Next Door!

BluesKing777

The other half just came to tell me that while she was outside reading a book, she could hear someone playing guitar over the back fence.

This weekend is the anniversary of the weekend we moved in this house in 1998. Since then, I have never heard anything except grass and pool machinery and screaming kids and the occasional party with dance music and screams from any of the neighbours in well, I guess, what is hearing distance.

Just like when the Boss says: "So and So are playing on the TV", or "There's a blues guitarist on the TV", or such, I got out the back door as quick and stealthily as a cat burglar perhaps half my age for a bit of a listen. I sat outside and listened to someone having a strum and a bit of a try at singing and it sounds really strange and I am a bit shocked at how clear it comes across the fence. They must be just next to the wooden fence! Yes, it a live guitarist! A bit of a practice and stop, starting....

Curiosity says to stick my head over the fence for a look, but caution says I might frighten nine lives out of them!

It would have to be a relative or long lost friend visiting the neanderthals.......

Perhaps I should do the start of the theme from 'Deliverance'?

If the guitar playing persists, not much is going to keep me away!

BluesKing777.

P.S. Hope they don't amplify it - I will probably get annoyed then......

I say go ahead, bring a bundt cake and your guitar and introduce yourself.

When I lived in Mississippi my house backed up to a Southern Baptist Church which had been there since Reconstruction. Every Wednesday night the ladies would have choir practice. When it was warm (which was most of the time) the windows would be open and I could hear some of the most unbelievable gospel I had ever heard. I used to go out to my back porch, grab a cup of coffee, my National Duolian and a bottekneck and just play along.

Eventually somebody must have heard me playing along and I got invited to come over. Those Wdnesday evenings remain some of the best musical times I have ever had.

Well, it all went sour....

I was sitting out on my patio listening and enjoying - I hear a lot of acoustic guitarists next to me or plugged in on a stage, but not many at that sort of distance since the last time I went to an outside acoustic gathering quite a while back. It is a nice sound.

Unfortunately my reverie was smashed by 'The Foghorn' (who owns the said house, and who is currently cutting bricks as I write) banging on the barbecue he was obviously cooking and everyone was told to eat and the poor, introverted guitarist/vocalist crawled back into his shell and was not heard again. Guitarist was obviously a unappreciated visitor to the barbecue. They may have eaten him for all I know.

BluesKing777.

Good story, my new next door neighbor's son is a fabulous concert violionist. He plays for hours and opens the windows, you can hear him way down the road. So one day I went out on my back patio and started playing some Jimmy Reed style blues, he closed the window. As James Brown used to say to Maceo Parker.... 'quit yo mess'. At least he doesn't have a banjo.

Good story, my new next door neighbor's son is a fabulous concert violionist. He plays for hours and opens the windows, you can hear him way down the road. So one day I went out on my back patio and started playing some Jimmy Reed style blues, he closed the window. As James Brown used to say to Maceo Parker.... 'quit yo mess'. At least he doesn't have a banjo.

Hee Hee!

I love Jimmy Reed!

When he bangs the window, yell out that old fave: "Play The Doors!".

BluesKing777.

Apparently the human flesh tastes just like pork.... should ask your neighbour to confirm, but maybe politely refuse any excess BBQ leftovers.

Years ago, on the motorway I passed an accident on the opposite side, a truck was on fire, the driver was caught in it and it was before emergency services had managed to contain/cordon off the site, naturally traffic on our side had dramatically slowed, for a few bitter moments all we could smell was the scent of burning bacon over general burning smells, so it somewhat supports that theory... Never had a nibble myself though...

Apparently the human flesh tastes just like pork.... should ask your neighbour to confirm, but maybe politely refuse any excess BBQ leftovers.

Years ago, on the motorway I passed an accident on the opposite side, a truck was on fire, the driver was caught in it and it was before emergency services had managed to contain/cordon off the site, naturally traffic on our side had dramatically slowed, for a few bitter moments all we could smell was the scent of burning bacon over general burning smells, so it somewhat supports that theory... Never had a nibble myself though...

could have been his samdwiches ...... or a bacon delivery lorry

could have been his samdwiches ...... or a bacon delivery lorry

Was just the cab, the trailer hadn't caught fire, a jack-knife job.... could see the fella sitting there, not a pleasant sight I tell ye, myself and my brother had the boke all the way up the M62 for about another 10 miles... Proper rotten.

Here's a funny idea. WHen he strums up again, play along. If it becomes obvious that he knows YOU are accompanying and / or he stops playing run into the house and hide. See if HE / SHE sticks HIS / HER head over the fence. [flapper]

Archived