Gibson Brands Forums

How Many Have Bought The Guitar A Salesman Showed You?

BluesKing777

Being ornary and difficult to get along with, this has never ever ever happened to me!

BluesKing777.

Same here. Still, they have tried. I believe that guitar sales people are first cousin to car sales people.

One of my first guitars bought 30+ years ago was at a UK store, the owners of which have just received

suspended prison sentences for dodgy deals.

One conversation went like this..Hi can I take a look at that Gibson j-45?....sure, we have a nice Taylor over here....no thanks I say!

"I'm sure you're well aware the only difference between a Gibson and an Epiphone is that Gibsons are made in America."

"I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by just how wonderful a Cort acoustic is these days and how affordable they are for the average picker."

"Don't tell my boss, but I might be able to throw in a gig bag if you purchase a guitar today."

"That's a great Gibson you're playing there. Me and my buddies play nothing but." (From the same guy who just raved about the Cort. If I were playing a Taylor or Martin, all his friends would be playing those.)

Clearly you guys haven't met Modoc! Kidding. I voted "other" because I have never bought a guitar from a store.

In my opinion there are two types of guitar salesmen:

1. The guy that is biding his time until his next gig. Might as well have a job and happens to play guitar.

2. The guy that is obsessed with gear. He is a great player but what keeps him there is his passion for the industry. All the little nuances matter to him and has great working knowledge of just about everything in the store. If you ask a salesman if he can come down on the price a bit he will call up this guy to find out. That's how you know.

I have met only a couple of these #2 types. I would say of the salesman I have met, 98% are type 1.

I am EXTREMEMLY picky when it comes to guitars, especially new ones.

The last one I bought, I was just "hangin" out at the shop. And this guy I knew was showing me this and that (he happened to work there...I knew him not as a "salemans", just knew he worked there). I TOLD the guy this: "You know WHAT guitars I got. You know I don't need anything, and you KNOW chances are pretty low I would need another one, let alone find a sample in the shop better than what I have already"...which, was true.

I also remember saying to him, "Dude...the ONLY way I would buy another guitar at this point is if it had so much soul I couldn't stand it. Good luck with that".

He brought an LP to me, and I said, "you BASTARD!"

Only happened once, my 69'er when I was in NYC three years ago. It was just when I was getting back into guitars after a 15 year lay-off and after trying some Martins and Guilds the salesman gave me this model, and I was instantly love struck. It was THE tone I was looking for. At the time I was still learning about acoustic tone but I instinctively knew this type of tone I was hearing was the one.

Three years on and much more experienced I probably would not have bought that guitar (wasnt aware of the thicker post 68' bracing) , but it still puts a smile on my face evertime I play her with that grumpy, rusty tone that only a vintage Gibson can provide.

When I bought my J-100Xtra, I spent about 2+ hours playing it and about around the 1.5 hour mark the owner's son brought a Taylor over and said "check THIS out" as if it was so much better and I had a mental problem for spending so much time with a Gibson. I didn't even touch it, let alone play it. BTW they are a major Taylor dealer and are always pushing them. I like the store but they need to lay off the Taylor pressure sales.

[quote name='BluesKing777'

No, we don't include Modoc in the 'riff raff' because he is a knowledgeable Gibson Acoustic Forum member! Not the car salesman type....

BluesKing777.

This thread was REALLY hurting until I read this.... Thank You! lol

for the record.... I can understand. I grew up HATING the guitar salesmen I dealt with. They would take the guitar from my hands to "show it to me" with their shred skills. they were always shady. always lied. I hated it. When I started working at a guitar shop, priority #1 was to NOT be one of those... even if it cost me sales. It didn't matter. It was a line that had to be drawn. In my mind, I have to live with myself at the end of the day, and I have a conscience. As it turns out, people respect my approach and it has worked well for me. A pleasant surprise.

Yes I have. I flew from Colorado to Minnesota with cash in my pocket, for a visit to my favorite guitar shoppe - because the sales girl called me and said, "Next time you're in town, stop by, I think I have a guitar that suits you well." I had other reasons for the trip, and it was convenient. So, I stopped by, she was there, and I played perhaps 6 or 8 really nice models, but wasn't quite smitten with any of them, and kind of confused because she was handing them all to me. Then she said "Had enough? Wanna see the one I had in mind?" After a quick trip to the back room she returns, with a Martin CSN Gerry Tolman tribute model. Bingo. She nailed it. I highly value a good salesperson. And I got a frequent flyer discount too.

Archived