Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
thejay

SG MM

Recently received one of these models with the 491t ( I believe) interesting pickup. Any suggestions for an all maple guitar?

Hello! My suggestion is to: play it! Seriously: it's not the first all-maple guitar by Gibson. There were the L5-S and L6-S, for example. Those had Super Humbuckers in the 70's. If Your question is about pickup suggestions, I would put a '57 Classic in it, to compesate the brightness of the maple with a mellow-sounding pick-up. Cheers... Bence

Oh I am playing it, it's a joy to play. Little different with a wrap around bridge, my first guitar set up like that. Curious about pickup suggestions as a 57 was a thought as it is a tamer bucker and that maple seems to output pretty bright.

Oh I am playing it, it's a joy to play. Little different with a wrap around bridge, my first guitar set up like that. Curious about pickup suggestions as a 57 was a thought as it is a tamer bucker and that maple seems to output pretty bright.

Congrats. Nice list of gear too!

I wound up getting two of these, because I love them so much and the prices were so low. I agree with you on the pickup, though...it's pretty high gain, and I'm not sure that's a good match to the brightness of the guitar. It might be good if you're a metal player. I have an SD Antiquity I want to put in to tame it a little. But Bence's suggestion is good, too. I want to take one of them and put a neck P90 in it. But overall, just an awesome, awesome guitar. I love how well it plays for such a stripped down model. Love it.

I wound up getting two of these, because I love them so much and the prices were so low. I agree with you on the pickup, though...it's pretty high gain, and I'm not sure that's a good match to the brightness of the guitar. It might be good if you're a metal player. I have an SD Antiquity I want to put in to tame it a little. But Bence's suggestion is good, too. I want to take one of them and put a neck P90 in it. But overall, just an awesome, awesome guitar. I love how well it plays for such a stripped down model. Love it.

Yes, truly impressed by this guitar. I happened to be in a GC one day and picked up one as a joke... it was more like my jaw hitting the floor instead of laughing.