Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird True Vintage 2008

E-minor7

Put John Pearse 12-53 Bronze Wound second of June and thought is was time for another change this fall. Once again remembered
BigKahune's
words about his J-200 breaking in during a string change after 18 months and wanted to go for that. To make it a little ritualistic, decided to choose the exact date from when I received the guitar for the first test in 2011 –
(
had it a whole Saturday-night while the owner saw Roger Waters or Pink Floyd at the other end of town).

Today was the day. Picked a set of Martin SP Marquis 12-54's Ph. B from the collection. Just turned them in tune an hour ago and can't tell anything specific yet. Apart from the fact that the Bird sounds much wider and like
projecting from a deeper
chamber
than when I got it 1 ½ back. This has happened slowly and the first real break through came in December '11. The glaze has developed, it's louder and much more 'dread' than before. But no less important, the low E and A have loosened and now is closer to what I think is essential for the genuine, classic Hummingbird sound
:
The soft, almost doublebass-like deep end as floor for the dripping sweet mids'n'trebs. In that softened up spectrum lies the inner secret of the real Bird, if you ask me - but it doesn't come easy. The H-bird for some reason might be one of the most demanding acoustics to open - still when it happens, it will be worth every hour. We're not there yet, but the path forward is a thrill.

In my world there are 2 milestones for a new guitar. 8 and 12 months. After 8 you should be able to hear a change in the woods, after 12 the direction of this change is supposed to be sensed.

Now we have
BigK'
s 18 month mark also. I'm there and will report when the Marquis' fade to normal. Of course things are relative from instrument to instrument, model to model, but why not play along and have fun while drawing a few lines.

All for now - See ya

The seducer ~
VinterHummingbird.jpg

Sounds like youre on the right flight path there Em7 with the Bird, great to hear she's spreading her wings.

I wonder if a move to Martin strings may have helped. After all the hype on JP Pb's I finally tried them and was bitterly disappointed with the tone. Found it very thin and lacking, took much of the honey away. Maybe it was just a bad batch but Im done with those strings.

Happy flying !

btw: the best way I found for my guitars to open up is through hard gigging. I swear both my SJ and HBTV benefited from been beaten to a pulp with track like Born To Be Wild ...

Put John Pearse 12-53 Bronze Wound second of June and thought is was time for another change this fall. Once again remembered
BigKahune's
words about his J-200 breaking in during a string change after 18 months and wanted to go for that. To make it a little ritualistic, decided to choose the exact date from when I received the guitar for the first test in 2011 –
(
had it a whole Saturday-night while the owner saw Roger Waters or Pink Floyd at the other end of town).

Today was the day. Picked a set of Martin SP Marquis 12-54's Ph. B from the collection. Just turned them in tune an hour ago and can't tell anything specific yet. Apart from the fact that the Bird sounds much wider and like
projecting from a deeper
chamber
than when I got it 1 ½ back. This has happened slowly and the first real break through came in December '11. The glaze has developed, it's louder and much more 'dread' than before. But no less important, the low E and A have loosened and now is closer to what I think is essential for the genuine, classic Hummingbird sound
:
The soft, almost doublebass-like deep end as floor for the dripping sweet mids'n'trebs. In that softened up spectrum lies the inner secret of the real Bird, if you ask me - but it doesn't come easy. The H-bird for some reason might be one of the most demanding acoustics to open - still when it happens, it will be worth every hour. We're not there yet, but the path forward is a thrill.

In my world there are 2 milestones for a new guitar. 8 and 12 months. After 8 you should be able to hear a change in the woods, after 12 the direction of this change is supposed to be sensed.

Now we have
BigK'
s 18 month mark also. I'm there and will report when the Marquis' fade to normal. Of course things are relative from instrument to instrument, model to model, but why not play along and have fun while drawing a few lines.

All for now - See ya

The seducer ~
VinterHummingbird.jpg

Is it just me but this pic looks tri-dimentional and as if this Bird was a spaceship ...No I don't do drugs!!! [laugh] Great pic btw and nice reading material sir [thumbup]

Don't need to...felt in it while in college [laugh]

Man, I have to agree with Denis and we all know the amount of drugs I consume. Great shot my friend, as well as your choice of strings.I'm with you..can't wait to here it when it finally awakes.

Is it just me but this pic looks tri-dimentional and as if this Bird was a spaceship ...No I don't do drugs!!! [laugh] Great pic btw and nice reading material sir [thumbup]

It's really an Arquillian battle cruiser disguised as a 'Bird.....

Arquillians are very clever at disguises.

(No, honest: I haven't done drugs since the 70's.)

Well, here I am trying to write a good sober and exact 18 months report on my H-Bird and
immediately
the
thread turns into THC inspired paisley.

Eeeeeehhh, GREAT.

I see what you mean D
enis57
– the guitar hovers like a glowing vehicle in black space.

EA
- it receives the merciless whip from time to time.

As mentioned in post 1, the sound develops, but I need to confess that no matter what, the Bird for some reason is one of the most charismatic acoustics I ever came across. And it was like that since the first TV-model shop-encounter in 2010*. I must have been severely pre-programmed from the 60's/70's. Won't go too far into that – but if you are smitten, the Hummingbird simply represents something more and deeper than an instrument. Do I see several Board-members nodding. . .

And am I sounding like an old hash-head already – tho no oil touched, can't tell. You define your limits here. . .

*Have to realize it counts for vintage square Southern J's too -

Archived