Gibson Brands Forums

Coffee.. whats the bean for you

Rabs

I was just having my coffee for today and had it in the evening rather than in the morning.. And MAN it felt good lol its like a warm blanket... I only really got into coffee when I started working and have had a lot of jobs that have had free fresh coffee machines (the ones where you put a little pouch in the machine)..

Nowdays I cant stand instant coffe, after all of the fresh stuff it just tastes like mudd to me..

Ive had a coffee machine at home before to make cappachinos but man what a pain that is.. These days I just use a cafetiere which is the simplest and best way I think to get a good cup.. I either use illy (which is amazing but expensive) or I use Taylors Italian Roast.. man thats good stuff :)

I have always watched how many cups I drink with probably the most being about four cups a day.. But these days its just two usually not long after I get up. But I know some people who drink it all day long... lol

So what about you? Whats your poison?

Ive never used fresh whole beans before (that you grind yourself).. Does anyone else do that? Any better? What do you use to make your coffee?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drink my coffee black and have been grinding my own beans for over 20 yrs.

Yes, fresh ground definitely the way to go. As for what kind of beans? That's trial and error and totally personal preference.

Must grind fresh.

Ground fresh daily...each morning.

Incidentally, Consumer Reports just tested coffee makers, and the top-scoring model was a $40 model made by Mr. Coffee and sold at Costco. It beat out coffee makers costing five times as much.

I also buy my beans at Costco: good price on good beans.

I do take cream and sugar, though this time of year I add some egg nog.

Ruta Maya Coffee. THE ONLY WAY TO FLY!!!!

They had the whole roast set up here in Austin for years. The coffee house itself is gone now, which is a bummer because I used to perform there all the time and they had a wicked stage & PA & excellent Sound engineer.

but if you need an excellent coffee see if you can order it. I think they went nation wide. my pal actually crisscrosses the USA selling the coffee to costcos etc.

good stuff.

Last Christmas we all got my mom a Keurig machine, the convenience resulted in me drinking more coffee this past year than ever before (a lot considering I've been drinking coffee since 12). I use it when I'm not living down at school and my favorites are the Green Mountain French vanilla and hazelnut (the only hazelnut I can drink due to my allergies, they use artificial flavor), Donut Shop brand cups, and Dark Magic by whomever makes that. I have a Krups drip machine I use down at school and usually stick to Green Mountain or Dunkin' Donuts beans. I don't mind a better quality brand when I have the money to justify buying it, but I'm stocked on Dunkin's pumpkin spice at the moment. Gotta love the seasonal flavors.

I grind my own beans when I can find the types that I like-Hawaiian(Kona if I'm feeing uber-rich),Jamaican Blue Mountain and Kenyan AA.Otherwise I buy the fair trade preground beans.I usually brew a mixture of Hawaiian and Kenyan with 2 parts Hawaiian to 1 part Kenyan,that is of course unless the Hawaiian is Kona,then I brew it alone.A good friend of my sister and her husband orders fresh raw beans from somewhere that he keeps as a closely guarded secret and even roasts and grinds them himself.He is a true coffee gourmet and has an ultra sensitive nose and tastebuds for even the most subtle differences in coffees.

I absolutely hate all these mocha,cappa,frappé,latté etc. coffees that are all the rage now,it`s just a yuppie,sissy,girlie-boy fad.That swill isn`t coffee,it`s just another type sickly-sweet soft drink.Give me a fresh-brewed cup of the finest of Hawaii,Jamaica or Kenya any day.

My personal favorite is Community Coffee House, Arabica beans and Chicory (Medium-Dark roast). IMO, chicory does great things to coffee. It is pre-ground- doesn't come in whole bean (the chicory root, an endive, is imported from Belgium).

Community%20Coffee%20New%20Orleans%20Blend%20Coffee%20Chicory%2016%20oz.jpg

I drink my coffee black and have been grinding my own beans for over 20 yrs.

Yes, fresh ground definitely the way to go. As for what kind of beans? That's trial and error and totally personal preference.

Must grind fresh.

So is fresh ground coffee beans better than the pre-gound stuff that is vacume sealed?

How big a difference is it? Is it is as much as the difference between instant and filter, or is it more subtle than that?

My personal favorite is Community House Arabica beans and Chicory (Medium-Dark roast). IMO, chicory does great things to coffee. It is pre-ground- doesn't come in whole bean (chicory is a root, an endive, imported from Belgium).

I used to host a singasong at an organic coffeehouse and man by the end of the evening I'd come out of there smelling like coffee dust! Sure is good black and warm, I'd take up to four cups and one large for the road, probably because thats how they paid me ... in snacks! When I look at the principles that these so called organic shops supposedly adhere to I get wary, that cup o' joe is slave sweat (no racism intended). The people that they claim to pay fairtrade still work for beans. I guess because coffee isn't grown in democratic western societies or we'd have to pay workers minimum wage. Ahhhh the taste of capitalism! I figure their claims of fairtrade for workers were unfounded as they couldn't even pay me minimum wage. Isn't is funny how the entertainment gets treated as less important than the servers. Don't dump on musicians! I worked hard at it and got peanuts (or coffee) in return.

No seriously I have a great appreciation for the beverage and tea as well, especially loose leaf. It's awsome to see tea growing on the hillside, the field of rich emerald green. Coffee has much antioxidants and keeps you regular and it is worth it to purchase fresh quality and brew it right. Keurig K-cups rule!

Gotta have it and pretty strong too; Java, Elephant Bean, Monsoon Malabar - there's even beans named after Elvis now, from Guatemala or somewhere like that. Blue Mountain is fine but a bit expensive for me, Peruvian a little sharp. I definitely prefer coffees from the far East for some reason, except I had Cuban coffee a few years back and that was wonderful. Roasting and grinding your own beans is the ultimate I suppose but too time-consuming for me personally; although I've got a grinder I don't usually buy beans. I drink half a litre a day. And I agree about the chicory. Yum.

So is fresh ground coffee beans better than the pre-gound stuff that is vacume sealed?

How big a difference is it? Is it is as much as the difference between instant and filter, or is it more subtle than that?

Fresh ground is the way to go. Something about releasing the oils and aroma's from the bean that you just can't vacuum seal.

We have both in the house. My wife doesn't always want to grind my beans [laugh]

So when I have the regular coffee it just doesn't satisfy me completely. I get my caffeine fix, but I don't feel satisfied.

As for the difference between instant coffee and regular drip coffee?

It's apples and oranges. Instant coffee isn't coffee. It's a hideous representation.

Try it out for yourself. You will taste the difference I'm sure.

I always get compliments on my coffee when we have guests.

I do nothing special other than grind fresh.

I think it is the single most important ingredient to a good cup. Fresh ground.

My grinder is as handy as cutlery in my kitchen.

As for the difference between instant coffee and regular drip coffee?

It's apples and oranges. Instant coffee isn't coffee. It's a hideous representation.

I was asking if the difference between Instant (which I cant stand) and pre ground coffee is as big as the difference between pre-ground and grinding them yourself :)

(I will have to try it now :))

My personal favorite is Community Coffee House, Arabica beans and Chicory (Medium-Dark roast). IMO, chicory does great things to coffee. It is pre-ground- doesn't come in whole bean (the chicory root, an endive, is imported from Belgium).

I drink Community Coffee as well but, I haven't had it with chickory in a while. I stick to the Community Dark Roast. Ever been to Cafe Du Monde for cafe au lait and beignets? Super good stuff. Now I miss living in New Orleans...

My ideal is a medium-dark roast of a full-bodied mean, very fine ground but run through my home coffee maker.

The coffee maker is a commercial Bunn at home. Busy seasons, such as now, I average about 4 12-cup pots a day. Strong to the point that even here where "cowboy coffee" means using a knife and fork, some folks say it's stronger than they care for. Brands differ every now and then.

m

I drink Community Coffee as well but, I haven't had it with chickory in a while. I stick to the Community Dark Roast. Ever been to Cafe Du Monde for cafe au lait and beignets? Super good stuff. Now I miss living in New Orleans...

Oh yeah! My daughter is at Tulane. I'll be there, again, over Thanksgiving.

Always a dark blend something like Kenya. Whole bean and grind it each morning.

We have a ritual in our house. I'm the early riser so I make the coffee and pour my first cup. I then practice with headphones on for about an hour. About that time I will her my wife stirring so I will get myself another cup and then take her one in bed.

Unfortunately, I usually end up drinking about 12 cups before the day's done.

Matonanjin...

So why don't you like coffee? 12 cups is the pot I drink before going to work in the morning.

Then I'll have a cupla three more pots of coffee at work. Since I make it, some suggest it is past knife and fork coffee and tends to be even past "six shooter" coffee. That's when you toss in a revolver and it floats... last time I tried, it floated, but folks howled when they heard it clank on the coffee's surface.

m

Fresh ground every morning - Kona ordered direct from a farm in Hawaii. Either medium or dark roast depending on nothing in particular. Brewed by the cup through a cone filter if I have the time otherwise the espresso machine. I also drink the junk at the office - Folgers I think, but if I make it no-one else can drink it - sort of like your cowboy coffee Milod, but this is more drilling rig style.

I have a Keurig, but I prefer a regular coffee maker. I can taste the difference. I'm the Eric Johnson of coffee....

I know there's KISS-branded coffee. It's probably re-packaged Starbucks though.

At the moment, I like Yuban.

Well... (oil or natural gas, either one)

Y'know they're drilling in my county and the one to the north; new pipeline is coming through and the 20th we have a Texas plastic pipeline manufacturer moving in...

Cowboys don't mind at all, as I'm sure you're not shocked about. <grin>

m

Usually Peruvian 100% Arabica. Very Strong (apparently!) and Black.

For some reason I can't drink Robusta without ending up an uncontrolable, trembling mess.

There's not much food-related which scares me but on a couple of occasions I've unknowingly been given Robusta and just thinking about it now brings me out in a cold sweat...

P.

Matonanjin...

So why don't you like coffee? 12 cups is the pot I drink before going to work in the morning.

Then I'll have a cupla three more pots of coffee at work. Since I make it, some suggest it is past knife and fork coffee and tends to be even past "six shooter" coffee. That's when you toss in a revolver and it floats... last time I tried, it floated, but folks howled when they heard it clank on the coffee's surface.

m

wow Milo, I finally found someone that rivals me & the Mrs. for coffee guzzling !

back before Ritalin was heard of, my pediatrician put me on coffee 3x a day to help my A.D.H.D.....I was 5, and it was a blessing to my poor Mother. [biggrin] By the time I was 8, I was making the coffee while Mom made breakfast.

now i'm 49 & drink fresh ground "Eight Oclock French Roast" made so that light won't shine thru it by our cheap Bunn home coffee unit.

gotta love any unit that makes a full pot in less than 3 minutes, and we're both sweating like junkies needing a fix before that 3 minutes is up. [laugh]

by myself (at home & work) I drink no less than 3-4 pots a day ('splains a LOT, don't it?) but i'm no longer Hyper, and can focus my attention like a MF'er!!!! [lol]

Archived