Gibson Brands Forums

Coffee.. whats the bean for you

Rabs

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drink black coffee but I drink it all day long, I stopped counting the daily cups many years ago. I think it all started when I was on the road in a band. One of the few vices I have left.

The old Bunn commercial in the kitchen is about 20 years old. Almost got a heart attack when I found out what a new one costs. Don't have any idea how many of he actual coffee pots have been replaced...

m

I can't stand instant coffee either! Welcome to the club [thumbup]

I drink Melitta European Roast Coffee. Drinking it daily lasts me a good 2-3 months and I can't drink anything else. You can pick it up at any grocery store for under $15.

Highly recommended! If I'm not mistaken, this is the coffee McDonalds now brews as well.

I din't start drinking coffee until I started working first shift (5am) a few years ago. We drink it cheap, strong, and lots of it. When I get the chance, I check out one of the local coffee places. I was just turned onto this one.

http://www.thirty-thirtycoffee.com/

I'll be checking out a few of their offerings on my day off with my wife.

My mom makes it on the stove. She doesn't let the water boil and when it is done she adds cold water so the grounds go to the bottom. She uses a colander just in case. Mind you we have coffee makers, she just thinkgs this is better. I call it cowboy coffee.

I gave up coffee three years ago. It was harder to quit than any drug or lover. Mind you I would drink one cup each morning, that was my ritual and no more, but I've gotten so concerned with internal organ health that I just drink water and teas. Mom always bought me Mexican coffee that had been grown near cinamon fields. The coffee had a strong cinamon taste despite not being a cinamon infused blend.

I now drink Awake tea by Tazo and Organic Chai by Tazo on my days off. I don't get nearly as hyper but I have lots of energy regardless.

I'm a 3 BIG cups in the morning to get me started (probably equal to 7 or 8 cups as marked on the coffee maker). Can't function till cup #2 starts to kick in. I drink the 3rd one on drive to work (45-60 minutes). I use Tim Hortons Fine Ground. Use a little powered cream and a touch of splenda sweetner in it. Brew it in a 14 cup Cuisinart. My wife drinks 1 or 2 big cups in the morning and I get cranky if someone deprives me of my 3rd cup. I refrain from drinking it during the day, but will have 1-2 after dinner.

Coffee -yes mmmmmm

Ground is best - with a burr grinder so all of the grinds get an even consistency.

Fresh cold water - I have a filtered water picture I keep in the fridge

Coffee maker - I like a cone filter (not the mr. coffee type basket filter) as it seems to pass through the grinds better and more evenly distributed.

Beans - favorite is Kona either from Loin Kona or Ferrari kona

However, kona is very expensive so I usually only buy it around Christmas time as a celebration coffee.

Beans vary from year to year it seems and I like to try different ones from around the world. I have no particular favorite at the moment. However, I prefer a light roast (light roast has the most caffeine)or a medium roast. To me the roast is equally important as where the bean is from and perhaps more important. Roasting brings out the various flavors.

My mom makes it on the stove. She doesn't let the water boil and when it is done she adds cold water so the grounds go to the bottom. She uses a colander just in case. Mind you we have coffee makers, she just thinkgs this is better. I call it cowboy coffee.

I gave up coffee three years ago. It was harder to quit than any drug or lover. Mind you I would drink one cup each morning, that was my ritual and no more, but I've gotten so concerned with internal organ health that I just drink water and teas. Mom always bought me Mexican coffee that had been grown near cinamon fields. The coffee had a strong cinamon taste despite not being a cinamon infused blend.

I now drink Awake tea by Tazo and Organic Chai by Tazo on my days off. I don't get nearly as hyper but I have lots of energy regardless.

my Grandmother used to boil coffee on the stove, and she always tossed in a few egg-shells to "pull the bitter out"....not sure how or why, but it worked....also a pinch of salt to "make it interesting".

her coffee was world class and could simmer for half a day w/o ever being bitter or too strong.

I have a Keurig, but I prefer a regular coffee maker. I can taste the difference. I'm the Eric Johnson of coffee....

I know there's KISS-branded coffee. It's probably re-packaged Starbucks though.

At the moment, I like Yuban.

I agree with tasting the difference. Plus most K-cups really aren't that strong, whereas when I brew from beans I overload the filter and make great daaaaaarrrrkk coffee. I've yet to find a K-cup that's as strong as I'd prefer, but I do like the convenience.

Jamaican Blue Mountain is my favorite bean. But I don't get it as much as I used to. It's expensive and I only drink it around Christmas time.

I also have acquired a taste for others such as Kona, Java, Sumatra, and Sudanese.

Been drinking it a long time.

This month is all about the Sumatra. It's a rich, full-bodied brew.

I also have a Kuerig brewer. My hubby does not drink coffee so I need to make small batches. I used to drink Folgers instant until I got the Kuerig. Originally I used Neumans extra bold 'cause I like a stronger coffee. We picked up some Kona when in Hawaii and I ground that for my Kuerig. It was really good. I, too, have found the Folgers Black Silk "K" cups to be very good.

GuitarsAnn [thumbup]

Another coffee that I really like and make if I don't brew in the morning is Nespresso capsules. They are oustanding and really taste like European coffee of which I am a fan.

Yeah the Nespresso ones were what we had free at work... REALLY REALLY nice.. :)

I drink so much black coffee, at least a 12 cup pot per day. I feel I need to use half caff. I don't notice the difference. I've been drinking it everyday for at least 8 yrs. Even though it's half caff I won't drink it after 1pm or 2pm it will keep me up at night.

ClassicFam_half_caff.png

Actually I tend to change brand/type/roast fairly frequently, although sometimes the quality of anything past major brands available in my area is IMHO questionable regardless of price tag.

But I think when you guzzle the stuff as much as I love to do, a bit of change in taste is pretty good every now and then.

m

IMAG0014.jpg

Bought this lever espresso machine a while back. It took a bit to get the hang of it but I love it now. My grinder is a Rancilio Rocky and it is great too. Both machines seem like they are built to last. They look great too!

Archived