Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone ES 355 Finish

MaadDaawg

I installed new Classic 55 pups, an NOS wiring harness, and a Babicz full contact bridge on my 2012 Epi ES 355. Unfortunately, I created a little chip when I pulled the original bridge studs out :( No one will ever see but me, but well.. you know how that goes :P Found a website that sells everything you need to repair finishes, but I really don't know what the Epi finishes are made out of, can't find in on the Epi site either. I know it's not nitrocelulose, but beyond that I'm guessing... anyone KNOW?

Changes made this a really really sweet sounding and playing guitar :) Highly recommend everyone doing this to their Epis, except, when you pull the bridge mounts out of the axe, pull STRAIGHT UP and out, any angel will cause you a problem

BTW, replacing the pots and caps (well, actually Epi's don't have any caps) on a 335 body style is a royal PITA. Everything has to go out/in through the F hole since there is o back plate

Epi's have a polyurethane finish...and yes, changing out electronics in ES models can indeed be a huge pain. I use long pieces of thin plastic tubing around the pot shafts and small rope or floss around the jack before taking them out. It makes it easier to get them back in place once your finished.

Archived