Gibson Brands Forums

This is a guitar I built in the mid 80's

catnine

IMG_1760.jpg

this is the full front view , originally I built it as a simulation of an acoustic and had a acoustic bridge I made and saddle I made and one humbucker in a cutout where the sound hole normally is. It had no pots. Then a few years back I had this idea of adding a cheap bigsby vibroto to it, cut out the center of the bridge and installed a cheapo strat hardtail bridge and cut out an area to add a tone and vol pot and made a new twp section faceplate and installed two strat PU's and a slide switch for PU control. I wiah now I had left it alone.Thje body is a three section mahogany about 1 5/8 " thick.

IMG_1769.jpg

this is a closeup of the front where you can see what I did and the 4 holes left from the bigsby.

IMG_1759.jpg

this is the back.

IMG_1764.jpg

this is the back showing the neck joint . the neck is 5 sections , rock hard maple with honduros mahogany strips. the neck is set in and glued from the 14th fret to the end of the neck.

IMG_1767.jpg

this is the front of the peghead , it is my own design yet I made it long and odd and the CTC of the tuners is 1 3/4".

IMG_1766.jpg

this is the side of the peghead , I made it like a strat not angled back just dropped so I had to use string trees .

I was thinking of changing the bridge back to an acoustic style just back adding back what I cut out for the hardtail and since the peg head is so long I wanted to make it into a 12 string . All I have for tuners are the Grover full size I had in there and smaller black gotohs for a six on one side strat. The nut is 2" wide and the fingerboard flat no radious and standard size frets. I think I can do it make it into a 12 string I just hope the 6 on one side strat tuners will work ok because I can't afford to by another set which I would prefer and if not before I drill holes just turn it back into a 6 string. All I need to do is figure out how I will secure the strings past the bridge , the bridge pins worked yet there was no way to ground the strings so I made a sort of brass rod to contact the strings but I'd rather have a 12 string so I have to make something to secure the barrle ends of twelve strings that I can ground.

Any thought's?

IMG_1760.jpg

this is the full front view , originally I built it as a simulation of an acoustic and had a acoustic bridge I made and saddle I made and one humbucker in a cutout where the sound hole normally is. It had no pots. Then a few years back I had this idea of adding a cheap bigsby vibroto to it, cut out the center of the bridge and installed a cheapo strat hardtail bridge and cut out an area to add a tone and vol pot and made a new twp section faceplate and installed two strat PU's and a slide switch for PU control. I wiah now I had left it alone.Thje body is a three section mahogany about 1 5/8 " thick.

IMG_1769.jpg

this is a closeup of the front where you can see what I did and the 4 holes left from the bigsby.

IMG_1759.jpg

this is the back.

IMG_1764.jpg

this is the back showing the neck joint . the neck is 5 sections , rock hard maple with honduros mahogany strips. the neck is set in and glued from the 14th fret to the end of the neck.

IMG_1767.jpg

this is the front of the peghead , it is my own design yet I made it long and odd and the CTC of the tuners is 1 3/4".

IMG_1766.jpg

this is the side of the peghead , I made it like a strat not angled back just dropped so I had to use string trees .

I was thinking of changing the bridge back to an acoustic style just back adding back what I cut out for the hardtail and since the peg head is so long I wanted to make it into a 12 string . All I have for tuners are the Grover full size I had in there and smaller black gotohs for a six on one side strat. The nut is 2" wide and the fingerboard flat no radious and standard size frets. I think I can do it make it into a 12 string I just hope the 6 on one side strat tuners will work ok because I can't afford to by another set which I would prefer and if not before I drill holes just turn it back into a 6 string. All I need to do is figure out how I will secure the strings past the bridge , the bridge pins worked yet there was no way to ground the strings so I made a sort of brass rod to contact the strings but I'd rather have a 12 string so I have to make something to secure the barrle ends of twelve strings that I can ground.

Any thought's?

I applaud your hard work and creativity on this one, Catnine. How does it play and sound? It reminds me a bit of that guitar that they use in the advertisements every year for "The Guitar Workshop". You know, the one that is a collection of pasted together pieces of different guitars including an electric, acoustic, jazz, hollowbody, etc. I'm sure you'd got plenty of strange looks if you were to ever play ot out anywhere.

Somehow reminds me of Lindsey Buckingham's unusual electro-acoustic guitar! Great job! Unique! [thumbup] Cheers... Bence

Exactly what I was thinking Bence... and as Searcy says,, out of the box for sure.

Good work lad..

/Ray

Thanks guys !

Do you think I should just leave it as is rather than changing it into a 12 string? The hardtail fender type bridge body is ok but the saddles are sort of cheap and I do have a set of machined stew mac saddles but with those I need to drill though the body and put the telecaster type ferrels in to anchor the strings which is not a bit deal. These saddles have a way to secure the string barrels but they don't look quite reliable to me. I had other parts around here too but I can't find where I put them , been through every box in the old garage and the closet where I keep my amps and guitars. For all I know since it's been years I may have tossed them out by accident. I even made a six string maple version of a steinberger and made the bridge setup out of steel and can't find that either and I would have known if I tossed that out. It's in a place somewhere along with the other parts that I hid so well . I do have all I need to put this guitar back together. I still have the steinberger I made wrapped in plastic sitting in the garage. Still have all my guitar making tools .

Archived