Gibson Brands Forums

Faded cherry sunburst

Plad

Hi! A few years back I was active on this forum as I had just bought a second hand J-45 from 2005 in faded cherry sunburst (see profile picture). Another forum member posted a picture of his J-45 that was just like mine, even down to having changed the tuners to tulip style Klusons and a replica big 60s style pick guard (that was almost a bit creepy). But since then I have never seen a modern J-45 with this finish, neither in pictures nor in the flesh, so after this long winded intro, the simple question is: How common or rare is this finish on a modern J-45?

Not as common as the dark edged tobacco burst but they are out there. There have been at least two recent issues - the Icon 60s J-45 (which is probably the guitar you have) and the Montana J-45ADJ. Both have the large pointy pickguard and that cherry burst.

No, it is a standard J-45 with non adjustable bridge, and the pick guard I put on after I bought it, it had a regular teardrop pick guard. It is identical to a standard J-45 except for the color.

I have a 60s Reissue J45 made in 2005 (pictued in my avatar). It was part of a limited run of about 150 that year. Mine came with the batwing pickguard and white kluson tuners. It is a killer guitar that I will never part with.

Hm, does the label identify it as something more/other than "J-45"? Also, as I said, mine came with a teardrop pick guard but with the original white Klusons. Does yours have an adjustable bridge (hard to tell from the avatar)? Mine is non adjustable.

There's a custom shop 60s J-45 at a local shop here in Ottawa that has the faded cherry sunburst with the large pickguard, white three on a plate kluson style tuners and a non-adjustable bridge. Really great guitar, totally gorgeous with excellent fit and finsh and a J-45 nice sound. The only other one I could find on the net was in Japan. Couldn't convince my wife to let me buy it. I drop in every once in a while to play it. Sigh.

Hm, does the label identify it as something more/other than "J-45"? Also, as I said, mine came with a teardrop pick guard but with the original white Klusons. Does yours have an adjustable bridge (hard to tell from the avatar)? Mine is non adjustable.

The label on mine reads "60's J-45 Historic Collection" -- the guitar came with a hand signed certificate from Ren Ferguson stating that it was part of a special run of custom made guitars in a limited run of 72 made in 2004. There's not a whole lot of these out there, at least that I can find. The bridge is non adjustable.

There's a custom shop 60s J-45 at a local shop here in Ottawa that has the faded cherry sunburst with the large pickguard, white three on a plate kluson style tuners and a non-adjustable bridge. Really great guitar, totally gorgeous with excellent fit and finsh and a J-45 nice sound. The only other one I could find on the net was in Japan. Couldn't convince my wife to let me buy it. I drop in every once in a while to play it. Sigh.

Yes, this sounds like the one I have -- they are killer guitars. I bought mine on a whim a few years back. Walked into my local shop and they had it on sale for that day only. Sat down with it and within minutes knew I had to have it. It's my favorite guitar in my collection.

I have a 2006 Custom Shop 1964 Reissue J-45 that's faded cherry sunburst in my guitar collection...has the large pickguard, adjustable bridge (tusk, though instead of a ceramic saddle), and white three on the side buttom tuners. It was from a Fullers Guitar special run that I bought new. I weighed in at the time should I buy an actual 1964 one or buy the reissue. Decided on the reissue. Great guitar...just like a vintage original one in looks, vibe, and sound...only newer. A really responsive good-looking J-45!

I also have a vintage faded cherry sunburst 1965 LG1 in my collection. Looks a lot like the cherry sunburst J-45 only smaller...but, the LG1s ladder bracing makes it a really different guitar. A lot less sound and sustain out of it...not just from its size...but, from its ladder bracing. (Wish I had a similar looking x-braced 1965 LG2 instead with a fuller small bodied sound...but, oh well.)

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

So it seems like some of you guys have modern J-45s with this finish, but they are all special editions, mine as I said is a bog standard J-45 in absolutely all respects but the finish. I bought it from a guy in Manchester (I live in Norway), I have no idea where he got it. It was by the way advertised on eBay as a rosewood guitar, but luckily I could see from the pictures that it was a hog (don't like rosewood Gibsons for some strange reason), so I have a feeling that tracking him down would probably not shed any more light on this. Have any one of you by the way had any success communicating with Gibson directly in matters like this?

So it seems like some of you guys have modern J-45s with this finish, but they are all special editions, mine as I said is a bog standard J-45 in absolutely all respects but the finish. I bought it from a guy in Manchester (I live in Norway), I have no idea where he got it. It was by the way advertised on eBay as a rosewood guitar, but luckily I could see from the pictures that it was a hog (don't like rosewood Gibsons for some strange reason), so I have a feeling that tracking him down would probably not shed any more light on this. Have any one of you by the way had any success communicating with Gibson directly in matters like this?

Generally, if you contact Gibson customer service with the serial number of a modern (Bozeman) Gibson acoustic, I bleieve they can tell you what the guitar should be in terms of model and finish.

Archived