Gibson Brands Forums

Dissecting One's Guitar Heroes

J.R.M.30!

I find that there is a lot of worshiping of guitarist/bands on this site and in society in general. Kaleb seems to be enamored in Kiss and Rush while Izzy is batty for Gun's 'N' Roses, etc. etc. Can anyone point out the shortcomings/deficiencies of their idols, i.e. The Beatles for the most part didn't rock, Led Zeppelin couldn't do reggae or Metallica couln't write ballads. :-k

I find that there is a lot of worshiping of guitarist/bands on this site and in society in general. Kaleb seems to be enamored in Kiss and Rush while Izzy is batty for Gun's 'N' Roses, etc. etc. Can anyone point out the shortcomings/deficiencies of their idols, i.e. The Beatles for the most part didn't rock, Led Zeppelin couldn't do reggae or Metallica couln't write ballads. :-k

You have obviously never heard the song "D'yer Mak'er" by Zeppelin.

I could also name rock songs by the Beatles, and some ballads by Metallica.

Sorry, but it just ain't so. [-(

Mmmmm ,,, Interesting perception but not sure of your point? Are you asking people to define the shortcomings they have with their particular idols? Or are you just trying to define your shortcomings with other peoples idols?

Because all you have actually stated is your opinion,, unless Zeppelin, The Beatles and Metallica are your idols, then, point taken.

As far as "worshiping guitarists/bands on this site" is concerned, well.. it is a guitar forum,, what do you expect people worship here? lol.

But to play fair,, I will answer your question.

My idols, and I have many,, but I would put Neil Young and Frank Zappa at the top of the list.

My idols shortcomings are,, ZERO. That's what makes them my idols.

If they had what I perceived as shortcomings, then they would be just another band.

So my idols have no shortcomings.

You may think they do,, but I don't, so I don't care.

My 2 cents.

All these things are subjective and objective.. Even Robert Plant himself says that he wishes hed put more effort into meaningfull lyrics on some of his Zeppelin work (Stairway to Heaven being one).. But its easy to say these things with hindsight...

Every band cant be everything to everyone.. So Zeppelin couldnt write a reggae song??? Who cares lol :)

Hendrix didnt have the best voice in the world.. but again.. Who cares.. it suited his music and with his guitar playing I could forgive almost anything (not saying his voice was bad in any way).

If we seem to be worshiping, we are olny in awe of their talent, some of these people are what made some of us start playing the guitar which helps us in our own lives (I cant imagine my life without guitars).. Apart from that they are just people as we all are and we all have failings.. I dont think any of us will say our music heroes were perfect people.. They just managed to create some perfect music and be in the right place at the right time.

Sorry but idols and deficiency is oxymoron for me. Lifeson is my favorite guitarist but I love to listen to a whole bunch of others: SRV, Les Paul, Joe Pass, Hendrix, Roy Clark, Matt Murphy, etc. They are all my idols with different styles. Sure SRV could never play YYZ like Lifeson but that's not a deficiency in my book. But he could play it his style. Just like Lifeson could play Hendrix in his style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-cEjyq9SiI

Archived