Gibson Brands Forums

somethin's up....

RS1976

first it was the sam ash post.

now i notice that seems like everywhere on line and in person gibson's prices are going down.... waaaaaaay down.

makin me wonder...

just sayin.

I have noticed a price drop as well...for example the 50th anniversary Pete Townshend I paid 1399 for is now going for 1200 and used ones even less than that.....and this is just one example, there are more..

i'm hip RowdyMoon I'm hip.

if it was one of those 'deal zone' type things at one or two places that might save 10-15% no big deal but the Midtowns selling new for used prices, and the 50s & 60s tributes & SG jrs with the nitro finishes right around 6 hundo all across the board.

deals like this from all over the place tell me somebody's getting close to hitting the panic button.

your example of the Pete Townsend SG price drop is perfect example.

wonder what gives

I think part of it might have to do with the MAP deal, as well as the ecomony, AND the combo of GC's troubles and internet sales.

Remember, for the past 20 years or so, guitars and amps typically sold for 40% off of list price. Then when MAP came along, it became typical for even GC to sell at 25% off and many considered that the "going rate".

What has changed in the ecomony is that guitar sales are down a bit, but manufacturers DON'T want to make and sell less of them. They want to keep the workers and factories going as they were, and even grow if they can. That means retailers have to sell more, and with internet stores, GC in the balence of going down, and FENDER in danger of being over-extended, who goes and who stays is actually a question.

What has changed in the ecomony is that guitar sales are down a bit, but manufacturers DON'T want to make and sell less of them. They want to keep the workers and factories going as they were, and even grow if they can. That means retailers have to sell more, and with internet stores, GC in the balence of going down, and FENDER in danger of being over-extended, who goes and who stays is actually a question.

I think this is a pretty valid point. I took the Fender factory tour a year ago when the Visitor Center opened. Can't remember the exact number, but they grind out some 700+ guitars a day. I'm thinking, Gibby does a couple thousand, Fender 700, and how many other mfgrs are building hundreds a day. Who's buying all of these things????? [confused]

I'll admit to some gassing over the past several years, but I'm not in the market for a new anything, but still cruise CL for a deal on a Ric 360/12. And how many other potential buyers are going "used only"??

I keep reading in our trade publications that the "Luxury Market" has bounced back, you know the evil rich 1%'er people. This is in the Home Technology business (Theaters, Automation, Lighting Control etc.) The sad real news was from a large training meeting last week where all the dealer friends from across the nation says "yeah, where are they talking about, cuz it ain't in my area!" I would have to agree to a degree. 2012 is much better than 09,10,11 by a long way, but they sucked so BAD that it didn't take much for 2012 to be better. Don't think 13, 14 may be very good either. Many "Luxury" buyers, that I know that are clients/friends, are going to really be pulling back on most major purchases now after Tuesday. You know, they purchase a lot of goods that they've decided not to be purchasing now. Back into the "squirreling away" mode till they get an idea how 2013 is going to look. The rich, will stay rich, because they know how to make & keep $$$. That is just a fact.

I believe that the business are prepping for some more tough times that 2013 would have been no matter who got into Washington. It's just going to have to happen sometime and sooner may be better than later.

Aster

Apparently this picture is on their facebook page with this quote

2013 will see exciting improvements and enhancements on Les Pauls and SGs! (And you should expect only modest price increases with these major improvements!)

551236_416841375017651_1183465631_n.jpg

Just picked up a brand new 2012 Gibson Les Paul Satin for $669.99 + Tax. I think they're condensing their lines (finally) to a more simple range of models, and getting rid of all inventory that won't be in it anymore.

If your model is getting discontinued, it may be worth some decent money in the future too (I would think [thumbup] )

Archived