Gibson Brands Forums

Differences in Southern Jumbo & J-45

Aster1

Hi Ya'll,

Just wondering on anyone that has or knows SJ vs. J-45's. What is a SJ all about anyway. It sure looks like a J-45 just in photo's that is. I have a J-45 custom (rosewood) and see the SJ TV is under $2900. Also, how is it voiced vs a Hummingbird (standard version)?

Just getting screwy ideas after I saved me about $2500 by cutting down two trees in our yard myself vs. tree service. I think I deserve a "treat" for my hard labors & danger I was placed in. :rolleyes:

Aster

Aster the sj has more bling than a j45 is all. The sj tv I believe is made with a Sitka top where as the j45 an adi top.

Comparison to a hummingbird hard to do. I posted a video on my old hummingbird playing in the cowboy position on a thread earlier today NGD HUMMINGBIRD check it out. That was a great guitar but now it's gone and replaced with one very similar in tone. To my ears a hummingbird has a warmer tone than a j45. It also projects a bit more IMO

Actually I believe music villa has a video on you tube with a comparison

Anyway hope this helps.

The J-45 True Vintage and Southern Jumbo True Vintage share the same top bracing, but have different back bracing.

As noted, the J-45 TV has a red spruce top*; the SJ TV has a sitka top.

Red 333

* Some were built with sitka very early in the series. The overwhelming number of tops are Red Spruce.

Thanks both Mother & Red!!

Mother, the youtube was excellent & I do like the sound difference in a Hummingbird. I'm presuming not near as bright as my Dove so they'd be good complements. I think my 45 custom is brighter sounding than the standard. Maybe the Rosewood is a little brighter than the mahogany.

I guess the SJ and the J-45 Custom are really just too close of guitars and the Bird would make the most sense for another Gibby.

Thanks guys!!

Aster

Not so fast aster. Mahogany and rw are to very different sounding woods. Actually rosewood is a lot deeper as where the lather is more mellow warm woody sounding.

I for one don't enjoy rosewood much I've played a few that I like but would much rather hog any day and better yet black walnut. In all honesty a hummingbird should be in everyone's collection. I hope you find a great one if you choose to go ahead with it. Btw if you prefer a slope dread you can't go wrong either.

Aster the sj has more bling than a j45 is all. The sj tv I believe is made with a Sitka top where as the j45 an adi top.

Comparison to a hummingbird hard to do. I posted a video on my old hummingbird playing in the cowboy position on a thread earlier today NGD HUMMINGBIRD check it out. That was a great guitar but now it's gone and replaced with one very similar in tone. To my ears a hummingbird has a warmer tone than a j45. It also projects a bit more IMO

Actually I believe music villa has a video on you tube with a comparison

Anyway hope this helps.

I own the J45 in that video.

The recorded tone of the J45 is almost exactly what you hear in person.

I like it very much.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way all of them sound. I was only meaning since I already own a J-45 Custom & a Dove, it may make the most sense to go with a Hummingbird. The Dove is really great (to me anyway) from low to high and clean/crisp. To me anyway, the Custom is still somewhat bright and seemed more so than the standard J-45. So, to have a different sounding guitar than the others I was meaning I thought I should go with the Hummingbird vs. the SJ.

Still thanks for all the input. They are ALL great and I'd like one of each. [biggrin]

Aster

Archived