Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
heymisterk

Semi-hollows: Fall out of tune more often?

Hi All,

Thought I'd try here first... [smile]

As some of you know, I picked up a nice used Korean-made Epiphone DOT. I love the tone! This is my first semi-hollow.

The only problem I am having is that it is falling out of tune more often than either my Tele or my SG.

The guitar was set up before it was shipped, so I am not sure that is the problem.

So, are semi-hollows more prone to fall out of tune? Are they more affected by changes in temp or humidity?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I am not sure.

But what I am sure of is that my 2007 Epi Dot stays in tune better than most of my guitars. And it's the only semi I own. :)

Hi All,

As some of you know, I picked up a nice used Korean-made Epiphone DOT. I love the tone! This is my first semi-hollow.

The only problem I am having is that it is falling out of tune more often than either my Tele or my SG.

The guitar was set up before it was shipped, so I am not sure that is the problem.

So, are semi-hollows more prone to fall out of tune? Are they more affected by changes in temp or humidity?

Thanks!

Not any more than any other guitars-

On another note- often, with Epiphones, many folks replace the tuners as soon as they get them, Epi hardware and electronics aren't known as the greatest OEM stuff, although the actual build quality, and wood work is pretty good.

I don't know without more info, where your tuning problem is coming from- could be loose truss rod, could be the bridge, could be the nut, could be the tuners, could be strings not streched out-

Hi All,

Thanks!

Chances are it's a badly cut nut. Epi's are notorious for having improperly cut nuts that cause the strings to bind as they pass over. I'm sure if you brought it to your local guitar tech/luthier they would charge you little to nothing to take a few light swipes with a nut file. That should smooth out the slots and allow the strings to move freely through them. If you still have problems, try rubbing a little graphite (pencil shavings) into the nut...that'll lubricate it a bit.

And as far as Semi-hollows being more prone to tuning issues; I'd have to say no. The necks are made the same. The bodies are laminated, which would actually offer Superior resistance to changes in temperature and humidity. It's the nut though, most likely.

Not any more than any other guitars-

On another note- often, with Epiphones, many folks replace the tuners as soon as they get them, Epi hardware and electronics aren't known as the greatest OEM stuff

The tuners in most Epi's are just fine. They normally come with Grovers, I believe 14:1 rotomatics. They're just fine tuners; hell I've seen people swap out the Klusons on their Gibbies for Grovers. The electronics I'll agree are substandard, but the hardware is far from it.

-Ryan

I note that so far most of the responses have been from areas of the country with a bit less variation in weather than "Mr K" and I live in.

My full hollow archtops are more sensitive than I like to the degree of variation I find around here. Kept in one place with slower changes in "climate," they're quite fine holding tuning. Moved around, not so nice.

I only have one semi, a now two-year-old Epi Dot MIC. I haven't had problems with it, and I bought it specifically to take the place of the full hollows that needed retuning sometimes in the middle of a song even four hours after moving it to a venue. It has not had a problem similar to the full hollows.

OTHO, I don't have quite the degree of humidity changes you'd have where you live.

But there are a lotta variables. Stopbar, nut and bridge are IMHO more likely to be part of the problem than the wood unless there's a possible weakness at bridge or stopbar between the top and the wood center block. It wouldn't take much for just a 7-year-old change of hold to affect tuning.

This is where checks of the nut, bridge and stopbar, plus how the strings flow or don't flow over them, would be my first priority. If there's a question, that's a time to find a luthier who knows what he/she is doing.

Second and IMHO much lesser possibility could be a tiny weakness at the neck joint or at some point in the neck wood itself. I'd tend to doubt that.

m

Hi All,

Thanks!

I just wanted to quote you to ensure that no one missed the topic of the thread.

msp_flapper.gif

And no semi's should be as stable as solids.

All,

I really appreciate all the advice and wisdom. I will have my guitar dude take a look and see what he thinks.

I should also be more specific: what tends to knock it out of tune the fastest is playing it, which leads me to believe it is, perhaps, the nut.

I will be at my local guitar geek shop on Thursday, and I will let you know the verdict...

Thanks again!

I just wanted to quote you to ensure that no one missed the topic of the thread.

msp_flapper.gif

I never had your gift for succinct-ability, AXE! [biggrin]

My Epi Dot has an excellent sound for an Epi. I think the Dot is Epiphone's best deal they have going.

I think it gives my Gibson LP a run tone wise.

I do however find the Epi Dot goes out of tune alot easier and more frequently than any of my other guitars.

I am not sure the reason for this.I don't think it has anything to do with it being a semi hollow or anything to do with the wood.

Possibly something with the tuners,,he nut or bridge maybe? I have yet to figure it out.

My Epi Dot has an excellent sound for an Epi. I think the Dot is Epiphone's best deal they have going.

I think it gives my Gibson LP a run tone wise.

I do however find the Epi Dot goes out of tune alot easier and more frequently than any of my other guitars.

I am not sure the reason for this.I don't think it has anything to do with it being a semi hollow or anything to do with the wood.

Possibly something with the tuners,,he nut or bridge maybe? I have yet to figure it out.

sorry,double posted by accident and can't fihgure out how to delete one

I never had your gift for succinct-ability, AXE! [biggrin]

The Hollow-ness or semi-hollowness of a guitar doesnt have anything to do with tuning issues. So, No. Now, many owners of 335's and 339's have complained a bit about tuning issues -- me included. I had to use Nut Sauce for a year in order to keep my semi hollow in tune, but then had it professionally set up -- and that did the trick.. Go figure.

Playing it changes tuning a lot on a hollow; especially going from a dark cool backstage into front stage and lights in a 5-600 seat theater, in my experience.

The Dot I have does not have that stark an effect at all, at least for sure not in the same venue where I had some 175 difficulties. It's kept tuning nicely in saloons and a cupla "stage" venues in varying northern plains weather.

So I'm guessing there's something else involved. Strings and nut are an obvious possibility, but so might be how the strings go over the bridge. I don't know how the center block is designed on these things, but there is a slight bit of potential of the laminated top not quite being in sync with that block. Otherwise it theoretically should be as stable as a solidbody because in ways it is. Back in the olden days (1960s) a buddy swapped his Rick for a 335 Gibbie and it played well going from a -25F trailer to a sweating hot stage without difficulty.

BTW, I'd agree that the Epi Dot is perhaps one of the best values for a guitar anywhere of any brand.

m

Make sure the strings are properly stretched out. If somebody else strung the guitar, they might not have done as good a job as you would've to ensure that the strings are wound tightly & neatly 2-3x around the capstans & properly stretched. Sloppy stringing produces sloppy tuning. Hope this helps.

What gauge strings are you using? I use .12 and notice that the d and g strings get bound up, which is why I am going to try .11 and reset my truss rod for the tension difference.

Is it a very old guitar or fairly new? Maybe there is a bad tuner??? I know my SG won't stay in tune because of having a faulty tuner.

msp_flapper.gif

Just ensuring no one missed the correct answer to the question.