Gibson Brands Forums

What pedals to give that crunchy smooth fuzzy blues sound

Andrew Riggs

Crunchy, smooth and fuzzy sound like they contradict each other but you guys will no what I 'm talking about if you've seen somebody playing a strat and the tone is so sweet and fuzzy but nice to listen to. I have a telecaster and a vox ac15 and want that dirty blues sound, what pedals should I get the hot cake? what pedals do ya'll like

There's a couple ways to get the sound you're after. Fuzz through a clan channel turned up to where it just starts breaking up. Or the same thing with Overdrive or Distortion, but that's less fuzzy (of course). Another way is just get you amp's gain on the verge of breaking up. Or, what I finally ended up doing (cause I love the sound of Dirty/Clean) was actually run two amps from a stereo pedal, lik a chorus. Then you actually have one clean tone and one dirty tone, but you have to deal with phasing and getting your volume levels mixed.

There's a couple ways to get the sound you're after. Fuzz through a clan channel turned up to where it just starts breaking up. Or the same thing with Overdrive or Distortion, but that's less fuzzy (of course). Another way is just get you amp's gain on the verge of breaking up. Or, what I finally ended up doing (cause I love the sound of Dirty/Clean) was actually run two amps from a stereo pedal, lik a chorus. Then you actually have one clean tone and one dirty tone, but you have to deal with phasing and getting your volume levels mixed.

I think if you want that crunchy super clean sound with texture -- you want a Compressor Pedal. That'll do the trick -- especially with single coil pickups like those used in Fenders. The Compressor Pedal will not give you fuzz.

I guess I can't really figure what you're looking for.

Roy Buchanan played Teles but... did he get the sound you want? Did BB on his specialized semi?

I personally think each of us will get our own sound. Heck, I add a bit of chorus and/or reverb and I'm happy with any one of four guitars I've used for blues stuff the past 40 years. One is a single pole archtop with just one pup in the fingerboard position, ones the 175, one's a semi and one's the Guild 1970s version of an SG. And that's whether a cheapie AE amp or a 120-watt tube jobbie.

So... I guess my way of figuring is that you've got a good guitar and a good amp - and somehow with your technique you're going to get your sound out of 'em. BB could invite me onto the stage to use his guitar and amp setup and there's no way it'll result in the BB tone because I don't play the same way.

Still, I guess you could buy a bunch of stuff hoping to get something you hear inside that somebody else has gotten - and always falling short.

m

Crunchy, smooth and fuzzy sound like they contradict each other but you guys will no what I 'm talking about if you've seen somebody playing a strat and the tone is so sweet and fuzzy but nice to listen to. I have a telecaster and a vox ac15 and want that dirty blues sound, what pedals should I get the hot cake? what pedals do ya'll like

Ibanez Tubescreamer, pretty basic. Overdrive pedal that pushes a clean tube amp really nicely.

Check out Marshall's Guv'nor and Bluesbreaker,they are really sturdy pedals plus you can dial in a myriad of different fuzz/distortion/overdrive intensities and the tone in both can be adjusted to go from shrill and icepick sharp to extremely mellow completely devoid of any treble.

The Way Huge Green Rhino is also worth a try out because it's very adjustable and has great tone and intensity range.

The Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi is also a great buy and it too can give you almost endless and limitless tones and adjustability.They also make a Blues oriented pedal which should be really outstanding if it's anywhere near the stadards of the Big Muff Pi.

All of these pedals are reasonably cheap with the exception of the Green Rhino but I've seen them going for almost half price lately.I paid only $100 for mine about 4 months ago.

I'd agree with Bonzoboy, any one of a few tube driver boxes that have become standard's, Boss, Ibanez, the Marshall line and the Zevex along with the other higher end boxes. The higher end one's will have a tendency to have slight variations in sound as most are hand made.

Boss Blues Driver. Hot Cake. Tubescreamer. Boss SD01. Sweet Honey overdrive. There are many.

And (I'll say it again) for a single-coil guitar like your Tele, the G2D Creamtone.

Spend the money Mr R! You get what you pay for, i.e. more outlay will get you more satisfatcion.

Hello! I would suggest a Tube Screamer and an analog(-sounding) delay. Ibanez Tube Screamers differ however. The TS-808 and TS-10 sound warmer - they use the same OP-amps, while the TS-9(DX) are more edgy, but they are great too. Cheers... Bence

Straight in! You amp has got what it takes right there.

Those guys who sound so good you can't believe it - you sure they're using pedals?

Hello! Can we agree on the following: Gary Moore had GREAT tone? Didn't He? He used to turn up the gain on His Marshalls plus the Tube Screamer (or a Guv'nor). Please give me an example on Your statement. I am quite sure everyone's using pedals of some sort. Cheers... Bence

Hello! Can we agree on the following: Gary Moore had GREAT tone? Didn't He? He used to turn up the gain on His Marshalls plus the Tube Screamer (or a Guv'nor). Please give me an example on Your statement. I am quite sure everyone's using pedals of some sort. Cheers... Bence

BB King, Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, Albert King, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, T Bone Walker, Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, Jerry Garcia. The fact is, when I learned to play blues guitar nobody really used pedals much except for fuzz boxes and wah wahs - and then just once in awhile to play the spacey wild stuff. All the blues guys played straight in most all the time. Hendryx played straight in to get his normal tone. Sure they probably used some effects sometime, but the really nice blues tone came from the guitar and the amp.

Nowadays guys are using pedals more though. Especially live. For a little boost or grit. But that's live, where they're willing to sacrifice a little tone for flexibility.

By the way, you can jumper the two channels on the AC15 and it gives you some more options.

Personal experience/fun has been with the following 'gear'

As mentioned...tone is in the brain/fingers...

I suggest a broad approach with variables to experiment with...

A Boss ME 70 gives a miriad of top quality 'pedal' sounds to mix'n match

Various drive sounds...more or less bluesy and a fuzz to boot

Plus compression,delay,chorus etc

And a good EQ adjustment to taste

Selecting 2 P/U's on a Strat/Tele can move closer to a thicker sound...

V

:-({|=

BB King, Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, Albert King, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, T Bone Walker, Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, Jerry Garcia...

Just to find an excuse for not being able to get the tone with my sole fingers these men had: those amps that these musicians used are very expensive these days - either vintage ones, or reissues. :-k Seriously: today's amps in the price range affordable by an amateur like me, sound awful. A Plexi reissue/clone, or a top Fender is too expensive for me and would be an overkill for a bedroom player. So I need pedals... Cheers... Bence

I think if you want that crunchy super clean sound with texture -- you want a Compressor Pedal. That'll do the trick -- especially with single coil pickups like those used in Fenders. The Compressor Pedal will not give you fuzz.

That's right, I often over look compressors.

I was going to post Clapton's pedal's, but his setup changes so much from tour to tour that it's impossible to nail one down.

He often just uses a wah and lesly, but he's been know to use....well, let Pete Cornish explain....

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/ectt.html

But all that tone making equipment is useless without the chops. Chops are in the fingers, tone is in the gear.

Archived